PDA

View Full Version : The Huntsman spider ....

onetrack
20th Jan 2015, 10:06
Well, you just know this is going to be a mirth thread, don't you? ....

I'm not a spider-person, nor am I a screaming, "kill-em-all" type - I reckon there's probably quite a few good spiders and a few nasty ones.
I'm happy enough to destroy Redbacks and Black House Spiders on sight - but I'm also happy to let Huntsmans hang around - provided they keep outside of where I want to live and do things - without me getting heart-stopping sudden shocks.
However, Huntsmans seem to like the exact same spots we also want to live and work.

We've got a Huntsman hanging round the house and yard. He's no juvenile, he's nearly as big as the palm of my hand. He's turned up in the bedroom several times, and the Missus isn't too fond of a Huntsman sitting on the ceiling over her head - so he gets carefully collected with glass and sheet of paper, and ejected to the Queensland Box tree out on the verge.

I reckon there should be plenty of bark there for him to hide under - but no, he likes slipping back through a crack under the door, or some other tiny gap, and we find him hiding above a window frame, or some other corner of a room in the house.
He gets ejected again, and sooner or later, he's back again.

I opened the door to the Missus' Camry this morning, only to find this Huntsman sitting on the lower door sill, inside the door, but outside the door seal. Uh-oh. Don't want him running around the inside of the car, so what to do?

Ahh! The garden hose. I carefully shut the door, grab the hose, turn it on, and violently hose the crack between the doors. No spider appears from out of the bottom of the door. Hmmm.

Opened the door again, he's pulled himself back into a tight ball right under the edge of the door seal. O.K., time to try a different tack.
Easy now, open the back door, grab the small floor mat there, and use the edge of it to "encourage" him to leave his hidey-hole.

Yep, you guessed it! He hits the mat running, and in about .000001 of second, he's halfway up my (bare) right arm!!
Well, you've probably all seen that dance - the Huntsman Dance.
Looking like something out of a break-dancing clip, I jump around, shaking my arm like crazy, trying to dislodge this damn spider. In an instant, he's gone ... but where???

I'm on the red-brick paved area out front of the house with a colourbond sheet steel fence and a narrow garden area, behind me.
I'm sure he landed in the garden, or on the paving somewhere. He must have .... surely??
But there's no sign of him?? He got flung off! - so he must be metres away at least!!

I turn around, and there he is. Sitting right in the centre of the drivers side floor mat!!
Just what I didn't want!! How the hell did he get THERE??

I reckon he launched himself off my arm, with the inside of the car as a landing zone, firmly in mind.

O.K. Careful now, grab the floormat, ease it out the door with him on it.

"Not likely, Champ!!", I can just about hear him yell - as he scuttles under the drivers seat!! - and totally disappears!! F#&#!

I want to use this car! Like right now! I'm not driving it, and fending off a Huntsman who wants to run up my arm/leg/body part, all at the same time!!

O.K. Slide the drivers seat full forward. Open the back door again. Look cautiously under the seat, all around the seat runners.
Nothing. Nada, zip, as the Americans would say. Damn! Don't tell me he's crawled up inside the seat frame!!

So I back out of the back door opening, and stand up - and there he is! - parked against the edge of the back seat, just inside the door - right where I'd just been leaning!! :eek:

So, it's grab the back seat floor mat again, and try to flick him right out! Nope, he's having none of that - he runs out over the wheel arch, and disappears up under the back of the car!!

Ahh well, at least he's now OUTSIDE the car, so I can go for a drive now!

I don't know where he's ended up, but I'll wager he'll be back inside a door crevice again pretty soon!
I reckon this is only Chapter 1 of the Huntsman saga!! Look for more chapters!! ....

mikedreamer787
20th Jan 2015, 10:16
We've got a Huntsman hanging round the house and yard.

Shit he's a big bugger! :bored:

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Jan 2015, 10:23
In a hot and sandy place one used to frequent in order to earn a crust, daytime temperatures were in the mid to high forties and night time temps mid to high thirties in Mr Celsius' opinion.

Getting to sleep at night was near impossible, what with a severe lack of aircon, so one would sack out on the bed nekkid with a fan aimed at one in order to get comfortable. The place was also infested with solifuge, what one would term a camel spider or red roman.

One night, just as one was about to drift off, the pitter-patter of eight hairy little feet was felt as one of the buggers stampeded across my wedding tackle, up my body and over my face before disappearing behind the curtains. One rose vertically about six feet, arms and legs thrashing wildly while letting out a girlish scream.

Normally, one would leave arachnids alone and let them get on with culling the population of flies and mosquitoes, but in this case, once one had released one's grip on the chandelier and descended to Mother Earth, the hunt was on. Eventually found the bugger hiding behind the curtain, where he ended his days as a greasy smear on the wall.

MagnusP
20th Jan 2015, 10:29
Hate to break this, onetrack, but have you considered the possibility that there might be more than one? :E

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Sparassidae_Palystes_castaneus_mature_female_9923s.jpg/309px-Sparassidae_Palystes_castaneus_mature_female_9923s.jpg

Hydromet
20th Jan 2015, 10:54
If my experience is anything to go by, at some time, you will be sitting in your car at night, preparing to put it to bed for the night, thinking of huntsman because you have just evicted him again. You will feel something tickling your leg.
Assuming it is the huntsman, you will eject yourself hurriedly from the car, which will continue int the garage without any control.
When you lodge your insurance claim, the operator will have a good chuckle as you explain the circumstances.

onetrack
20th Jan 2015, 11:06
Hate to break this, onetrack, but have you considered the possibility that there might be more than one?I did ....... and this worries me greatly ...... :ooh:

Fliegenmong
20th Jan 2015, 11:29
Onetrack, an old greek friend, long passed used to live with 'Arthur', Arthur was a tea saucer sized sonofabitch of a Huntsman, they co-habited peacefully....

Not I.....the greatest deterant to flying insects , mozzies, flies, and all manner of bugs is the citronella BBQ flare......

When I have been without flares and left the Huntsman alone, no appreciable decrease in annoying insects whatsever...doing as SRT suggests and smearing them to paste...(if you can....they're freakishly fast!)...and introducing citronella flares.....1000% improvement in living comfort.....AND peace of mind...to hell what the greenies think! SHY can come and colect any huntsman that dares venture here if she so wishes!

Spiders are similar to snakes....the only good ones are dead ones......shot by 12 gauge....at close quarters, and not too close in the case of snakes... :uhoh:

Hempy
20th Jan 2015, 11:58
Huntsmans are awesome. They keep insects (esp. mosquitoes) down and they are harmless. Of course they'll bite (and it hurts!) but only if you go poking one with your finger etc enough to piss it off.

Just lay your palm flat and give him a little nudge on the bum and he'll happily just walk up on to your hand. Carry him outside and put him on a tree.

Don't be scared just because he's big and ugly. Just consider him like a small hairy Shrek.

p.s 12 gauge is a tad of overkill for a snake (let alone a spider!) .410 keeps them away from the chooks adequately!

Cyber Bob
20th Jan 2015, 12:23
Hempy wrote: "Just lay your palm flat and give him a little nudge on the bum and he'll happily just walk up on to your hand. Carry him outside and put him on a tree".

You're feckin kidding, right?

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2015, 13:08
onetrack:

I have a perfect solution for your Huntsman spider conundrum:

http://9buz.com/content/uploads/images/August2014/there_was_a_spider_in_my_house_it_has_been_defeated_2013-08-14.jpg

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2015, 13:10
Hempy wrote:

"Just lay your palm flat and give him a little nudge on the bum and he'll happily just walk up on to your hand. Carry him outside and put him on a tree".

Show us, big guy. Post a youtube video of you doing it. Better you than me. :}:E

onetrack
20th Jan 2015, 13:10
Hempy - Every Huntsman that has come near any part of my body has immediately raced up my arm at 50kmh! I don't like to give them any opportunity to try it again, as they apparently love to do!

I've woken up to big black rats scrambling over me numerous times in 'Nam - got bitten by a scorpion in the same country - fought off sizeable numbers of other scorpions and 40cm long centipedes there - had my fair share of run-ins with a wide variety of snakes (most snakes lost, the others got away) - had a big freshie croc take a snap at me from less than half a metre away - but nothing freaks me out more, than those 8 furry little feet running up my bare arm at 50kmh!! :)

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2015, 13:15
onetrack:

at least your Huntsman spider isn't one of those squirrel spiders:

http://www.vitamin-ha.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Funny-spider-squirrel-W630.jpg

Loose rivets
20th Jan 2015, 13:21
Someone being interviewed on telly years ago described going into a hotel room with his bride and seeing a huge spider on the top of the curtains. He bravely got a broom and touched the unwanted guest. It ran down the broom at the aforementioned speed and he described clambering over his bride in his panic to retreat. No Brownie points there, then.

Who was it that told of his pet spider, Alice, I think it was. Killed his dog.

Blacksheep
20th Jan 2015, 13:34
That was me. Alice bit the dog and made him very ill. On the nose. He could have got a job with Santa. Served him right for poking his nose under the sofa.

Alice lived under the sofa and I once saw her dragging a gecko across the floor to her lair. I didn't realise they ate lizards.

It was the cobra that killed the dog. He was a daft bugger, but it got him on the leg, so I guess he stood on it.

Alice eventually fell victim to the housemaid's vacuum cleaner. I think she did it on purpose.

I do miss the Borneo wild life - but not the monkeys. I hate monkeys.

India Four Two
20th Jan 2015, 14:20
at least your Huntsman spider isn't one of those squirrel spiders:

rgb1,

It's not often I burst out laughing at something I see on the Internet. :D

Hempy
20th Jan 2015, 15:19
I'll take the dare when I find one. They wont hurt you...seriously how many people do you know that have ever even been bitten by one? I have, but I deserved it.

They are tree dwellers and climbers, so if you are vertical of course they are going to climb you. If you hold your arm out they'll just sit on your hand. They might try and walk off again but if you roll your hand with them they seem to like the back of the hand better. Maybe the hairs, dunno.

They don't know you are a 'person' (unless you poke them a few times and provoke them into biting you just because you want to see if you are faster than they are. Then they do..), they just see you as something to climb.

BWSBoy6
20th Jan 2015, 15:48
http://youtu.be/bRV4d9LCawU

I guess you've all seen this but it STILL makes me jump even though I know what happens!

Mrs BwsBoy

Hempy
20th Jan 2015, 16:19
That guy is an idiot, all he needed to do was get a broom and give it something to climb on to. Either that or just grab it ffs, they can't bite backwards!

RedhillPhil
20th Jan 2015, 16:40
Just be careful out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoB8t0B4jx4&feature=player_detailpage#t=31

chuks
20th Jan 2015, 17:00
That's just a chipmunk spider, one of those little guys that only runs up your leg to nibble on your nuts. See the stripes?

funfly
20th Jan 2015, 17:11
This thread is an Australian plug to reduce immigration ye ?

Cyber Bob
20th Jan 2015, 17:27
Funfly: It's worked, I won't be relocating down under, EVER, if you have these feckers', that's for sure.

Hempy: You're barking fella, seriously!

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2015, 18:19
Hey Cyber Bob, I guess you won't want to relocate where these roam the earth either, eh? :}:E:E

http://tejiendoelmundo.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/large-camel-spider.jpg?w=510&h=382

G&T ice n slice
20th Jan 2015, 18:27
Australia, the land where no-one is paranoid, because everything REALLY IS out to get you!

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2015, 20:19
Quoted by an anonymous poster:

"Huntsman spiders nearly ALWAYS travel in pairs. If you find one, and kill or remove it, it;s mate will show himself close to the same location within 2 days.

They can and will run damn fast, including at you.

They also jump LOL"

mr fish
20th Jan 2015, 20:31
not too bothered by spiders but in my biking years I once had a bee about the size of a sparrow enter my halfopen lid at over 50mph on a back country road.

to be honest I never knew I could stop so quickly on such a large machine....non of yer namby pamby BMW style ABS either!!!

FISH.

BWSBoy6
20th Jan 2015, 20:36
I don't know whether it's one of apocryphal stories but an Aussie lad I taught once told me Huntsman spiders kill more people than Black Widders!
Apparently, they like to hide behind the sun visor in cars and when drivers pull it down to cut out the glare, "A bloody big bugger lands in your lap" which causes you to swerve all over the road. Often into an immovable object or other vehicle. All this was related to me in a very dry and serious way. :-D

Mrs BwsBoy.

Hydromet
20th Jan 2015, 21:00
So true, Mrs. BwsBoy. See my post 5.

Pappa Smurf
20th Jan 2015, 22:37
Son,when about 6 found a Huntsman,Carried it around and when he went to bed he didn't want it run away so put it in a large jar.Next morning he found it didn't appreciate the accommodation and bit him.
Walking into a cobweb always gets you going,looking for a spider.
Strolling through the bush one day and looked up just in time to see a massive cobweb a foot in front of me.What made it easier to see was the huge "Golden Orb" spider at nose height..Change of jocks nearly needed.

CAndyPOB
20th Jan 2015, 23:17
Ah, interesting wildlife, the joy (?) of travel. Many of us on here travel for work as well as pleasure, so come across much that, erm, surprises. I currently run tour groups round South America, and have met many surprising insects. A couple of years ago, camping in what is called, 'cloud-forest,' (Nearly, but not quite the Amazon.) I noticed a trapdoor spider. They live in small burrows, with, funily enough a self-constructed trapdoor entrance, and spring out at passing food. This particular tour group consisted entirely of young women.

They were not impressed when I pointed out the spider, and had my hammock been bigger, would have all slept with me that night.

Any one know where I can buy a hammock that sleeps seven?

India Four Two
21st Jan 2015, 01:26
Australia, the land where no-one is paranoid, because everything REALLY IS out to get you! When I lived in Brissie, back in the days of Jo and Russ, I had a marvellous book called "Things That Sting".

Apart from the obvious candidates:
The 10 Most Dangerous Animals in Australia (http://www.hotelclub.com/blog/the-10-most-dangerous-animals-in-australia/)

there is even a tree that's out to get you: The Gympie Stinging Tree. :eek:

I once saw a large snake crossing a two-lane road when driving in the outback. Its head was crossing the centre line, just as its tail left the dirt at the side of the road! I didn't stop to find out what kind it was - probably a King Brown.

Ogre
21st Jan 2015, 02:04
Moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago, woke up the next morning to find a large huntsman sitting in the corner over the front door. Shook some Mortein at it, it took the hint and dived for the floor to escape.

Can I say at this point that Hunstmen really squish when you stand on them....

I have a simple ethos for spiders, ants, and any other crawling or flying insect - if they don't come in the house I won't hunt them down and destroy them outside.

Terry Pratchett once wrote about the flora and fauna in the legendary land of XXXX that the sole entrants on the list of non-dangerous animals were "some of the sheep".....everything else was out to get you

rjtjrt
21st Jan 2015, 02:54
I like my Huntsman/men, and their lady friends.
They are totally inoffensive, and do good by eating mosquitoes. They don't have any inherent dangerous potential to humans at all (if stupid humans run off the road because they see a spider in the car, then that is natural selection).
The irrational fear and vitriol levelled at Huntsman defies logic.
The Huntsman Preservation Society should step in to this thread to defend our friend, Mr Huntsman.

PS Australians now seem to behave as though we should get a VC for just stepping out the door. We are nearly all suburban folk who just live ordinary/normal lives, just as folk do in Europe and North America. No crocodiles in Sydney or Melbourne, no instant death creatures lurking at every corner. The death lurking at every corner is all a myth, seemingly perpetuated by the entertaining Steve Irwin who did not represent suburban Australia.

1DC
21st Jan 2015, 03:01
Rented a cabin somewhere near Bells Beach a few years ago, it was late and we were both tired. A huntsman was on the wall and Mrs 1DC said "You would have thought that they would have removed that dead spider". Light out and so to bed until just after dawn when a loud scream ensured and the bed was rapidly evacuated. Dead spider was now on the wall above her head!! I think we were packed and gone in about ten minutes..
She fears cockroaches more than anything, though..

Stanwell
21st Jan 2015, 03:13
India 42,
Thanks for that link to Stefan Chan's website. I had a browse through it.

I'm afraid, though, that like a certain "Aviation Expert" that's been talked about on PPRuNe recently, he's not much more than a tabloid-level, 'entertainment far-kwit'.

As far as arachnids go, I was interested to be informed by him that the Red-back is more dangerous than the Sydney Funnel Web.

The Red-back, (related to the Black Widow) is a relatively small, retiring spider. While its venom is powerful, has only a very limited amount. Its fangs are quite small and generally won't penetrate clothing or even thick skin.
Children and the elderly are most at risk of being effectively bitten.

On the other hand, the Funnel Web is a large, aggressive spider with lots of deadly venom and large, powerful fangs to deliver it with - multiple times.
The strikes have no trouble penetrating canvas shoes.

I'd like to put Stephan Chan in a box with both and see which one he gets on with better .

Sheeesh, they're out there - and I don't mean the spiders, either.

Hempy
21st Jan 2015, 06:26
Haters..:=

pCO56iyBXtU

AtomKraft
21st Jan 2015, 07:32
I know sod-all about spiders, and neither did my mate until he got bit by a brown recluse spider.

I don't think he even noticed the bite, but a day or so later, a local noticed the swelling and discolouration on his leg and insisted he go immediately to hospital, ie without finishing his beer.

To cut a very long and expensive story short, he survived. He very nearly lost his leg, which turned entirely black. They had health insurance, but it was 'pay now, claim later'. Luckily they had a lot of spare room on their credit cards, or he could easily have died. They were in South America somewhere...

I'd never even heard of this sort of spider. Apparently it gives you cellulitis, and things move along quite quickly.

Never heard of cellulitis either.....:(

Hempy
21st Jan 2015, 07:56
In summary, on current evidence the most dangerous spiders in the world are funnel-web spiders (Atrax and Hadronyche species), Redback Spiders and their relations (Latrodectus species), Banana Spiders (Phoneutria species) and Recluse Spiders (Loxosceles species). In Australia, only male Sydney Funnel Web Spiders and Redback Spiders have caused human deaths, but none have occurred since antivenoms were made available in 1981.

Spider facts - Australian Museum (http://australianmuseum.net.au/Spider-facts)

Stanwell
21st Jan 2015, 09:50
Thanks for that, Hempy
I didn't know the Banana Spider was right up there.
The Philippines were making a big push to export their bananas to Australia, a while back.

As people in the UK know, some bunches come complete with a Banana Spider - free of charge.
Fortunately, they can't survive in the UK climate. They could here, though.

We also need to make a distinction between the most VENOMOUS and the most DANGEROUS.
For example, the Eastern Brown-snake is actually far more dangerous than the Taipan - because of its disposition.

Most people that have been bitten by Red-backs have actually inadvertently squeezed them - "The Red-back on the Toilet Seat", for example.

With the Huntsman, you've got to really stir them up before they get upset.
I once teased (with the end of a stick) a big one I found on my desk, one day.
While he eventually reared up and showed me what a magnificent set of fangs he had, he was otherwise quite happy to go about his business as long as I left him alone.

cattletruck
21st Jan 2015, 11:56
A few real life huntsmen spider stories:

Staying at a recently divorced friend's farmhouse up in Northern Australia she had adopted a huntsman as a pet in the toilet room. I was expecting another friend to arrive in a few days and when he did he eventually excused himself to visit the toilet. During mid conversation with my host we heard that unmistakable sound of a rolled up newspaper hitting the wall. Then my friend appeared, "Mate, you shoulda seen the size of the spider in the toilet, but I took care of it" he said with a big grin on his face.

Another time my car was at the garage and I had gotten a lift from a friend's friend to meet up at the nightclub precinct. Come 2am it was time to leave so the group decides to go for a coffee in a nearby district which is also known to be a bit seedy. We all get in his car and he reverses about a meter and stops with eyes wide open and says "Oh, my God!". "What?" says I. "Spiderrrrrrrrr!!!" then all calamity breaks loose as everyone rushes out the car, lights on, engine running and all 4 doors open. The two front seat occupants were screaming like girls, so much so that they attracted the attention of a passing home-boy and his crew who walked up all tough like and asked "What's the problem [email protected] [email protected]?". "Spider" said someone. The home-boy sniggered at us and helped himself into the back seat of the car without asking anyone only to emerge a few seconds later saying "Sh!t, there'a a spider in there" and he and his crew left. I told my friend's friend I'll catch a cab to the coffee shop and meet you there. So I get to the coffee shop and everyone but these friends of friends are not there. Eventually they turn up half an hour later and we asked them why they were late? "Well", they said. "As we were parking the car a hooker stuck her head through the window and just kept hustling us for a paid favour. Eventually we got rid of her and as she was leaving she said, By the way, there is a spider in the back seat."

Another time I was at the lights next to a convertible when a huge huntsman spider suddenly appeared running around on the windscreen. I flicked on the wipers and he departed somewhere, perhaps into the convertible :E

Blacksheep
21st Jan 2015, 13:22
The really big ones are Huntswomen. The males are small fellers.

I notice tony draper hasn't made an appearance in this thread. :E

rgbrock1
21st Jan 2015, 13:24
Blacksheep:

Yes, it does seem odd that Tony D has yet to appear on this thread. Gee, I wonder why? Then again, we could flush him out by posting photos of big, fat, hairy spiders on every other thread until he cries "uncle" and ventures over here. :}:E

Cyber Bob
21st Jan 2015, 13:27
rgbrock 1
Where was this taken - Mars? - What is it? - Actually, I just don't want to know
http://tejiendoelmundo.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/large-camel-spider.jpg?w=510&h=382

rgbrock1
21st Jan 2015, 13:31
Cyber Bob:

The photo was supposedly taken in the sand pit known as Iraq by a group of American G.I'.s. The spiders in the photo, there are two of them "having at it", are Camel Spiders.

Supposedly some Camel spiders reach speeds of 10mph. Thus, unless you're sprinting full out, they will get ya.

Hempy
21st Jan 2015, 13:35
edit: posted at the same time as rgb

rgbrock1
21st Jan 2015, 13:38
That's what I wrote, Hempy, two camel spiders. :ok:

BWSBoy6
21st Jan 2015, 15:10
What are they doing? (The Camel spiders)

BWSBoy6
21st Jan 2015, 15:11
Hang on! Are they humping? That's why they're called Camel spiders!!!! :D:O

India Four Two
21st Jan 2015, 20:51
India 42,
Thanks for that link to Stefan Chan's website. I had a browse through it.

I'm afraid, though, that like a certain "Aviation Expert" that's been talked about on PPRuNe recently, he's not much more than a tabloid-level, 'entertainment far-kwit'.

As far as arachnids go, I was interested to be informed by him that the Red-back is more dangerous than the Sydney Funnel Web.

Yes, sorry about that. Not the greatest site, but I was just looking for a link to the more obvious, but perhaps less well-known poisonous creatures in Oz. I suspect not many PPRuNers would have known about the Box Jellyfish or the Blue-ringed Octopus.

I lived in Australia at the time Dr. Struan Sutherland developed an anti-venom for the Sydney Funnel Web spider. Prior to that, the bites were almost always fatal. Since then, no one has died. I remember reading at the time, he said it was the thing he was most proud of in his career.

An interesting character:
When he died in 2002, he had already written his own death notice: "Struan would like to inform his friends and acquaintances that he fell off his perch on Friday, 11 January 2002, and is to be privately cremated. No flowers please. Donations to Australian Venom Research Unit, Melbourne University."[/URL]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struan_Sutherland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struan_Sutherland#cite_note-6)

Later editions of the book deleted two lines from the chapter on Komodo dragons: in the original edition, Adams asks Australian venomous reptile expert Dr Struan Sutherland (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struan_Sutherland), whether there are any venomous creatures that he likes, and the expert replies, "There was, but she left me." These lines are deleted in later editions, for reasons unknown.
[URL]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Chance_to_See

tartare
21st Jan 2015, 22:02
The Huntsman's ya mate, mate.
Eats all the small fellas.
Bloody scary looking though.
Mrs T haaates them - reduces her to a screaming, wobbling jelly-person.
Interestingly I'd read somewhere some arachnologist saying that supposedly `poisonous' Aussie spiders like the funnel web actually have a bad rep.
Their bites hurt like hell, will make you feel crook, and will kill you if you're elderly, immune-compromised, a kid (or a pet).
But they're not 100 per cent lethal per se.
Whereas box jellyfish etc - now they are nasty.

con-pilot
21st Jan 2015, 22:42
I have a simple ethos for spiders, ants, and any other crawling or flying insect - if they don't come in the house I won't hunt them down and destroy them outside.

Same here, as long as they are outside, they are safe. Inside is off limits to them. I even have a sign stating that fact on the front door.

But I don’t think they can read all that well.

layman
21st Jan 2015, 22:54
Caught a beautie inside this morning - across the legs, almost the size of the palm of my (small) hand - when she was flattened out behind the curtain.

Huntsman are easy to catch but it did need a largish plastic food container and an A4 size piece of cardboard to cover the top. Had to encourage her to leave the safety of her new home once outside.

Not fans of spiders but don't kill them unless they have red-backs.

Spoke to an etymologist at CSIRO about black house spiders (to my untrained eye, they look exactly like a red-back without the colouring). His advice was to leave black house spiders in place. If moved on it could be replaced by a red-back!

And can agree about the 'danger' of Huntsman spiders in cars, Even running down the outside of the windscreen causes withdrawal (of hands) symptoms (just thankful I wasn't turning a corner at the time).

cheers
layman

Hempy
22nd Jan 2015, 02:57
The only problem with Black House spiders is that they are a favourite delicacy of White-tailed spiders..

How do I control white-tailed spiders around the house?
Beyond killing or removing all white-tailed spiders that you encounter, you can try a prey reduction strategy. White-tailed spiders like to feed on Black House Spiders (Badumna insignis) in particular, but will take other spiders too. This means that you should clean up obvious spiders around the house (outside and in). This involves removing spiders from around windows, walls and verandas (by web removal and/or direct pyrethrum spray). http://australianmuseum.net.au/Spider-facts

p.s http://newcastle-pest-control.com.au/spider%20chart.JPG

Poor Huntsman gets a bad rap imo

Cyber Bob
22nd Jan 2015, 08:28
Thanks Hempy - Vacation plans changed!

GrumpyOldFart
22nd Jan 2015, 13:13
There was always a faint possibility that I would see Australia in this lifetime.

Not now. It's off my bucket list and onto my phukkit list.

onetrack
22nd Jan 2015, 13:23
Look at it this way. We don't have rattlesnakes, African killer bees, poison ivy, yellowjacket wasps, bears, AZ bark scorpions, mountain lions, wolves or coyotes.
On top of that, very few people carry firearms, so your level of death risk here in Oz, is actually much better than the U.S.! :)

Andy_S
22nd Jan 2015, 13:28
Look at it this way. We don't have rattlesnakes........

No, but you have exclusivity on just about every other venomous reptile....

Facts and Figures: World's Most Venomous Snakes | Australian Venom Research Unit (http://www.avru.org/general/general_mostvenom.html)

Hempy
22nd Jan 2015, 14:18
It's off my bucket list and onto my phukkit list

Don't let a couple of hairy spiders scare you off, the 'dangerous animals' bit is way over rated. In fact, the deadliest animal in Australia is a horse!

Animal related deaths in Australia:
During the 10 year period in question (July 2000 - November 2010) there were 254 deaths in Australia identified as animal related. Let’s see who is responsible, starting with the biggest culprits:

Horse, pony or donkey – 77 deaths
Cow, bull or bovine – 33 deaths
Dog – 27 deaths
Kangaroo – 18 deaths
Bee – 16 deaths
Shark – 16 deaths
Snake – 14 deaths
Saltwater Crocodile – 9 deaths
Emu – 5 deaths
Others, including fish, sheep, goats, camels, cats, cassowaries and jellyfish – 39 deaths

http://www.ncis.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/FACT-SHEET-Animal-related-deaths-final.pdf

There are plenty of animals out there that can kill people,
Top 30 dangerous animals in Australia

This list was developed by the Australian Museum in Sydney. Museum staff rated animals out of 10 based on the threat they pose, combined with the likelihood of encountering one.

Danger rating: 10/10
1. Box jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri)

Danger rating: 9/10
2. Honey bee (Apis mellifera)
3. Irukandji (Carukia barnesi)

Danger rating: 8/10
4. Bull shark (Carcharhinus leucas)
5. Eastern brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis)
6. Saltwater or estuarine crocodile (Crocodylus porosus)
7. Sydney funnel web spider (Atrax Robustus)

Danger rating: 7/10
8. Blue-ringed octopus (Genus Hapalochlaena)
9. Coastal taipan (Oxyuranus scutellatus)
10.Common death adder (Acanthopis antarticus)
11. Cone shells (Conus sp.)
12. Dugite or spotted brown snake (Pseudonaja affinis)
13. Mulga snake (Pseudechis australis)
14. Red-bellied black snake (Pseudechis porphyriacus)
15. Tiger shark (Galeocerdo cuvier)
16. Tiger snake (Notechis scutatus)
17. Great white shark (Carcharodon carcharias)
18. Yellow-bellied sea snake (Pelamis platurus)

Danger rating: 6/10
19. Bluebottle (Physalia physalis)
20. Common lionfish (Pterois volitans)
21. Collett’s snake (Pseudechis colletti)
22. Highland copperhead (Austrelaps ramsayi)
23. Inland taipan (Oxyuranus microlepidotus)
24. Redback spider (Lactodectus hasselti)
25. Reef stonefish (Synanceia verrucosa)
26. Smooth toadfish (Tetractenos glaber)
27. Blue-bellied black snake (Pseudechis guttatus)

Danger rating: 5/10
28. Australian paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus)
29. Bull ant (Myrmercia pilosula)
30. Giant centipede (Ethmostigmus rubripes)
Australia's dangerous animals: the top 30 - Australian Geographic (http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2013/03/australias-dangerous-animals-the-top-30/)

but you either need to be very stupid (e.g swimming with crocs/sharks/box jellyfish etc or poking your hands in places you shouldn't), wandering around out bush without adequate footwear/clothing (snakes) or just really unlucky (spiders/blue ringed octopus etc) to get hurt by any.

People have been hurt by Koalas, Wombats, Stingrays, Cassowaries, Gropers...but odds are you wont see any of them unless they are road kill or you go looking.

nonsense
22nd Jan 2015, 14:20
I really don't understand why foreigners, especially Americans, focus so much on the various potentially lethal critters we have in Australia when we have landscapes which will happily burst into flames at the drop of a hat (or a cigarette butt) for four months of the year.

Bushfires are much scarier than the odd snake!

onetrack
22nd Jan 2015, 15:07
Yeah - but what about the snakes that are fleeing from bushfires? - or floods! :eek:

https://www.facebook.com/FaunaRescueSA/posts/892856127403157

Snakes, crocodiles threaten flood-hit towns | SBS News (http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2011/01/04/snakes-crocodiles-threaten-flood-hit-towns)

OFSO
22nd Jan 2015, 15:15
What does "...even friendly" mean ? You sit down, put your feet up, and a huntsman brings you a drink ?

Solid Rust Twotter
22nd Jan 2015, 15:21
Similar spiders in these parts. Had one living in my room in Zambia. She'd sit on the wall above my head while I slept and scoff mosquitoes. Always gave me a bit of a start on waking to find myself being checked out at short range, but I suppose my morning breath wasn't doing her any favours either. We had an agreement to leave each other alone.

Hempy
22nd Jan 2015, 15:22
Yeah - but what about the snakes that are fleeing from bushfires? - or floods!
bbq snake = tastes like chicken :}
flooded snake = they all pretty much swim anyway, until they find somewhere dry
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/01/05/1225982/451270-snakes-in-flood.jpg
http://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2011/10/snake-queensland-flood.jpg
OFSO, it's all relative. 'Friendly' as opposed to 'Itching to have a go at you' or 'Won't put you in the hospital/morgue'

Stanwell
22nd Jan 2015, 15:28
Hempy,
That's a meaningful listing from the Australian Museum.
"The threat they pose, COMBINED WITH the likelihood of encountering one."
Thanks for posting that.

p.s. Re 'Friendly' - I reckon that was due to some semi-literate's inability to come up with the word 'Beneficial'.

TWT
23rd Jan 2015, 03:57
I think I'd rather encounter any Oz spider in my tent while camping than a grizzly/black/brown/kodiak bear wanting to eat me alive.

onetrack
23rd Jan 2015, 04:03
What does "...even friendly" mean ? You sit down, put your feet up, and a huntsman brings you a drink ?Well, OFSO - we haven't quite got them to that stage yet .. but we're working on it!
With that handy 8 legs, a well-bred, large Huntsman should be able to handle 3 or 4 drinks at a time! :)

abgd
23rd Jan 2015, 05:07
There's your solution:

http://gourmetsportsman.********.co.uk/2013/01/mini-purdey-of-king-george-v.html

Hempy
23rd Jan 2015, 05:20
^^^ link's broke

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n164/CLee5wt/miniature_shotgun.jpg

That thing would be perfect for blowflies!

Blacksheep
23rd Jan 2015, 13:34
Why would anyone make a shotgun for a Huntsman spider?

The little buggers are well enough armed already. :}

Hempy
23rd Jan 2015, 15:05
DIY Spider Rifle
MnKJzCUy9Tw

G-CPTN
23rd Jan 2015, 18:45
I guess you would need to use 4 inch sewer pipe for a Huntsman?

BWSBoy6
23rd Jan 2015, 21:08
This reminds me of my 18 year old (trainee pilot!!) son whose user name I've hijacked for this thread :}

Last summer I heard the sound of his air rifle on automatic, rat tat tatting in his bedroom and a lot of girly type screaming. I asked what the hell was going on in there, in a caring mother sort of way. When I opened his door, there were bits of beetle splattered everywhere and it turned out, one of these had flown through his open window:

Cockchafer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockchafer)

Mind you, the beetle got the last laugh as one of the pellets had ricocheted off his laptop screen and completed smashed it too! It slightly worries me what would happen if an exotic type of wildlife appeared on the flight deck if he becomes a first officer :eek:

For those of you not from England, a Cockchafer is a very large beetle, not an instrument of medieval torture.

G-CPTN
23rd Jan 2015, 21:45
The house that I grew up in from age 11 to 18 backed onto open farmland (since built on), so we were used to getting cockchafers entering through open windows on summer evenings - it seems that they were attracted by the fluorescent tube lights in the kitchen (along with Daddy Longlegs and all manner of moths (Puss moths as well as large Hawk's Head and Death's Head moths).

The cockchafers had a whirring rattly sound as they flew - no doubt due to their wing design.

onetrack
24th Jan 2015, 04:45
It slightly worries me what would happen if an exotic type of wildlife appeared on the flight deck if he becomes a first officerWhat worries me is a teenager armed with an air rifle who doesn't even understand - and who obviously has never been taught - the basics of firearm-handling!! :eek:

I guess he's also been taking pot-shots at various things from the bedroom window as well?? :rolleyes: :ugh::ugh::ugh:

BWSBoy6
24th Jan 2015, 09:18
Don't worry! He got a severe dressing down afterwards. The gun is only normally used at one if these weekend organised clubs where grown men spend the day in woodland pretending to ambush each other!

The only other thing he had taken a pot shot at out of his window were his dad's underpants on the washing line!