PDA

View Full Version : A cure for the common cold caller

hiflymk3
19th Jan 2015, 19:55
Waiting for an important incoming call today I picked up the phone 3 times and it was dead, obviously a cold caller. Every day we get these 3 or 4 of them. I thought the practice of randomly dialling 10 or so numbers by these companies had been outlawed.

Has anyone any idea how to stop them?

Evanelpus
19th Jan 2015, 20:00
You can buy phones that, allegedly, can stop these kinds of calls. I've seen BT and Panasonic versions.

Good luck!

Sallyann1234
19th Jan 2015, 20:08
trueCall (http://www.truecall.co.uk)

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Jan 2015, 20:35
We are very seriously considering getting rid of the landline.

Almost all calls to the landline are

(a) junk, or

(b) our parents, who don't like the perceived cost of calling our mobiles.

My theory is that we junk the landline, and the rental saved will pay our parents' increased call costs several times over, and that way we we'll solve the junk call problem at essentially no inconvenience to ourselves.

skydiver69
19th Jan 2015, 20:49
Registering with the telephone preference service and using the edited electoral roll will help to reduce but not eliminate cold callers.

Cremeegg
19th Jan 2015, 20:53
I still get plenty of cold calls, PPI claim calls, accident calls to my mobile - if fact probably more than to my landline.

G-CPTN
19th Jan 2015, 21:06
But don't you need a landline for internet broadband?

chiglet
19th Jan 2015, 21:29
Nope. Partner uses mobile, as does Son and DiL

tony draper
19th Jan 2015, 21:33
The silent call is generally from a computer to ascertain whether there is someone there to pick the phone up,if there is, that number is handed over to a human or a tape machine.
:uhoh:

superq7
19th Jan 2015, 21:39
G-CPTN re phone line for Internet connection, that's what I thought as well, has anyone got an answer to this please ?

Sallyann1234
19th Jan 2015, 22:19
To get fixed line broadband you need to pay for a phone line, but you don't have to use it. Just unplug the phone.

Keef
19th Jan 2015, 22:27
Callblocker.

Anonymous calls don't get through. If you don't want me to know who's calling before I answer... (our doctor and the local hospital know to "un-withhold" when calling us).

Any junk call gets the little button pressed, and they never get to make our phone ring again.

My mobile has a "block" function, too. The PPI callers are the main members of that list.

Capot
19th Jan 2015, 23:07
We're trying out a Skype phone with a Skype number as our main business line....so far it's all good; it might be beneficial to many that (in UK, anyway) you can pick any exchange in the country as your number.

The phone works exactly as an ordinary one. You can get wireless or Bluetoot, I believe, although ours in on its USB.

Call charges are now tiny.

In a domestic environment, you still need a land-line, for now anyway in UK, for the ADSL and an emergency phone, but just disable the incoming call alarm, or maybe play a recording that you deem suitable that responds instantly.

Station_Calling
19th Jan 2015, 23:14
...all good stuff. But remember if you ever REALLY need 999, then Skype and mobiles don't do the job. (UK Only - sorry to our non UK folks)

G-CPTN
19th Jan 2015, 23:57
you still need a land-line, for now anyway in UK, for the ADSLAgreed, but, apparently, you can have a working ADSL whilst the telephone is U/S.

avturboy
20th Jan 2015, 00:36

Yes a working phone line is required but you don't have to connect a phone to it ...

No, you can use mobile broadband on either 3g or 4G systems, however the cost of data will be much higher, for example I pay 15 a month for 10GB of data with 'Three'. It's OK unless intending to stream a lot of video, but obviously not a patch on a typical 'unlimited' tariff you would expect with home broadband.

mixture
20th Jan 2015, 07:43
then Skype and mobiles don't do the job. (UK Only - sorry to our non UK folks)

Actually GC4 obligates SIP providers to terminate emergency calls. Whether your internet connection is reliable enough is another matter.

Mobiles will of course terminate emergency calls, but are not reliable in an emergency for other reasons (signal etc.).

ETOPS
20th Jan 2015, 08:53

No - not if you live in one of the UK areas supplied with cable.

We went through a period of months, in 1999, when every street in the area was dug up by a company called Cable & Wireless who spent vast sums putting in fibre-optic cables to much of the suburban areas of the big cities in UK.

By 2000 they had become NTL and I signed up for their combined package of Cable TV, fixed phoneline and internet. All of these could be purchased separately or as bundles.

Today it is called Virgin media and my cable broadband runs at 100mb for much the same cost as we started at - they keep giving me free upgrades for long service.

I'm considering ditching the fixed phoneline for the above reasons however it wont affect the internet or the TV...

Station_Calling
20th Jan 2015, 09:01
But you are non-geographic is what i mean. Dial 999 from a landline, leave the phone off the hook and see what happens. Now try it with a mobile...

(Don't do it for real obviosuly :} )

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Jan 2015, 09:04
Nope. Virgin cable.

Capot
20th Jan 2015, 09:37
But - if you are in the UK - can you dial 999 on Virgin cable?

MagnusP
20th Jan 2015, 09:50
I have abandoned my previous strategy of placing the 'phone in front of a radio tuned to Planet Rock. I now talk to the recorded message telling it what a wonderful idea that is if it wasn't for my wooden leg &c, in the sure knowledge that at some point a salesdroid will be listening in. MrsP is convinced I'm now over the edge. :p

cockney steve
20th Jan 2015, 10:30
The silent call is generally from a computer to ascertain whether there is someone there to pick the phone up,if there is, that number is handed over to a human or a tape machine.

TPS gets rid of most of the UK ones....the foreigners, as Tony says above, can be foiled, simply by giving the "silent treatment! "
Get into the habit of picking up the phone and STAYING SILENT.
A computer will register"answerphone" (Ansafone for the Colonials:} ) and automatically terminate the call.

Ones manned by humans get told the number is registered to TPS and if it is not removed from all lists immediately, their business will be shut down.

Always get a grovelling apology and a rapid termination.

The real bogey is the automated tape loop that starts it's spiel as soon as you pick up. I am wary of pressing a button to speak to an operator (tales of international calls billed to the button-presser) just hang up on these.

My junk calls are less than one a week. TPS is pretty good and free...you can do it over the net or automated phone programme.,anytime.

joy ride
20th Jan 2015, 10:56
With a human caller seem interested then state that you have to go quickly to take a saucepan off the boil, check the time, make various noises, and see how long it is before they hang up. Keep a note of each one and compare your record with friend's ones.

Thinking of how much human and technological energy and material is put into spam, scams, junk calls and printed gobshyte is a very depressing reflection of contemporary humanity. If only all that time, energy and resources could be put into something useful or beneficial......very sad.

ExXB
20th Jan 2015, 11:18
There is a 'do not call' function here, they even put an * next to your name in the phone book. Worked perfectly for years.

However calls initiated in other countries are not liable to Swiss rules, or sanctions, so this is where all our junk calls are coming from. Their latest trick? They spoof local numbers, so the callerID shows a local prefix and a different number every time.

If I (or the phone) doesn't recognise the number I let it go through to the answering machine. Life's too short wasting anymore of my time.

meadowrun
20th Jan 2015, 12:30
When I get the computer silence period, I use it to go and get my life vest whistle. When human comes on, I blow it. Then I press the ignore button.

They should never get off scot-free.

wings folded
20th Jan 2015, 12:38
Just had a call offering me a service to block unwanted calls for 1.99 a month.

I said I had already bought it from them, and clearly it did not work.

nonsense
20th Jan 2015, 13:27

Almost all calls to the landline are

(a) junk, or

(b) our parents, who don't like the perceived cost of calling our mobiles.

My theory is that we junk the landline, and the rental saved will pay our parents' increased call costs several times over, and that way we we'll solve the junk call problem at essentially no inconvenience to ourselves.

I thought I had a solution to this when I explained to my father how my relatively cheap phone service includes more calls than I ever make per month.

Instead of taking up a similar service, he took to dialing my number (mobile OR landline!), letting it ring twice, then hanging up (to avoid the answering machine which I haven't used for years now) and waiting for me to call him back.

On the plus side, it lets me decide whether I want to talk to him immediately or later.

Here in the land of wombats, you can get "naked ADSL" - internet down a phone line without paying for a telephone service.

Addressing the original question, also in the land of wombats, we have a reasonably effective Do Not Call register, which combined with a silent number seems to keep my phone line clear of unwanted callers.

Sallyann1234
20th Jan 2015, 15:54

Nope. Virgin cable.

The Virgin service has two separate connections from the street cabinet: coax for the broadband and TV service, and a standard phone cable.

It's normally sold as a 'bundle' but I believe you can still get a small discount if you don't have the phone connected.

Hydromet
20th Jan 2015, 20:17
we have a reasonably effective Do Not Call register, which combined with a silent number seems to keep my phone line clear of unwanted callers.
It will be the silent number that keeps your line free. The DNC register works reasonably well for Australian cold-callers, because repeated offences can be expensive, but it has no effect on the sub-continental pests, who buy the directories in a form that can be used on automatic diallers, and have access to very cheap international calls.

cockney steve
20th Jan 2015, 21:00
Whilst you may be correct, AIUI, it works the reverse way where there is a compliance issue,- I.E.- The autodial computer simply generates every valid combination of digits for the target area, the excluded numbers are fed-in and the computer discards those sequences.

That's why "nobody knows this number" and "I'm Ex-Directory" get caught in the net.

When Post-Office Telephones had the monopoly, even the dedicated burglar-alarm line was forced to have a telephone connected....you couldn't buy one either, you HAD to rent the GPO p.o.s. at inflated prices.

How times have changed!

Stanwell
21st Jan 2015, 03:51
nonsense,
"naked ADSL" - that's a new one to me.
Any idea of how much moolah for how much data?

victor tango
21st Jan 2015, 18:35
Let me run this past you.
I'm so fed up with all these calls and people like TPS are only partially helpful because they only have influence on UK callers not from overseas.
All other suggestions mean making an effort to combat something that just should not be happening in the first place!
We are paying for the use of our phones and it's being hi-jacked by invasive calling, really, you couldn't make it up.
So I thought, the next time a call comes in, instead of letting it go to ansafone (and of course hoping it isn't important like Doctor or friends etc)
I will say to the person as follows;

PLEASE LISTEN AND I HOPE YOU ARE RECORDING THIS;

WE ARE TOTALLY FED UP AND INTIMIDATED BY THESE ENDLESS PHONE CALLS.
SO MUCH SO THAT THAT WE ARE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING GETTING RID OF OUR LAND LINE.

I KNOW OTHER PEOPLE FEEL THE SAME WAY.

YOU HAVE FORCED ME INTO THIS AND DUE TO YOUR FLAWED MARKETING METHODS, IN TIME, CALL CENTRES WILL BE REDUNDANT.

I AND MANY OTHERS WILL NOT BE SORRY.

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING AND GOODBYE.

Do you think I may have a slight chance of making them see sense????

ExXB
21st Jan 2015, 18:46
VT, in a word "no".

There is nothing you, I, the telcos or the government can or will do to stop this pestulance.

They won't care if you give up your landline, in fact that probably would reduce their 'failed calls', increasing ever so slightly their rate of successful calls.

Just like spam e-mail, they only have to make 1 sale out of a 100 or so to profit.

So, pick up the phone and say 'hello', if you find yourself being spammed, just hang up. Don't say anything, don't blow a whistle, don't put them on hold, just hang up.

Oh, and give up your landline, it is a dinosaur.

hiflymk3
21st Jan 2015, 19:32
Thanks all for the outstanding response, as we need the landline for marathon family chats I suppose we will always be plagued by these nuisance calls. Must admit that I have sometimes given them a piece of my mind. As for callers saying they are from Microsoft I give them a string of expletives. To them I let my two fingers do the talking.

Must go, the phones ringing.

OFSO
21st Jan 2015, 19:39

No, we have WiMax broadband including telephone. Very small microwave antenna on roof "looking" at a dish 15 kms away. Don't know why other countries don't use this system. NO CABLES ! NO COPPER WIRES ! NO COLD CALLING !

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Jan 2015, 19:52
VT, in a word "no".
If I've got nothing better to do I sometimes say something along the lines of:

"Do you feel happy when you wake up in the morning knowing that you're going to be spending your entire day at work pissing people off and being sworn at?

"Has it not occured to you that you could maybe find a more pleasant job?"

Don't suppose it does any good.

Capetonian
21st Jan 2015, 19:55
Do you think I may have a slight chance of making them see sense???? No, because the person you would be saying it to is right down at the bottom of the food chain and as such you would be wasting your breath.

More effective would be to say something along the lines : "I require the name and address of your company and the direct telephone number of your manager."

Hydromet
21st Jan 2015, 20:44
I wonder how long it will be before someone with a large amount of money, a short fuse and the resources to do so tracks some of these calls to the top of the food chain and arranges for the head to be very publicly removed 'pour encourager les autres'.