PDA

View Full Version : Party poopers

SpringHeeledJack
19th Jan 2015, 18:56
BBC News - Party invoice: Boy sent bill for birthday no-show (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-30876360)

When I read this article I had to laugh. What were they thinking ? :ugh::rolleyes: Bad manners have their own reward, but to dream up a scheme such as this ? That kid won't have too many friends from now on until he leaves that school and thanks to FB, it will linger on….

SHJ

Mr Chips
19th Jan 2015, 19:20
That kid won't have too many friends from now on until he leaves that school and thanks to FB, it will linger on….
Which one? The kid whose Mum sens invoices, or the kids whose parents go running to the papers when someone upsets them? I heard the Dad interviewed on Radio2 this morning, complaining that he has been treated as a child rather than as a human being. Yes, a child rather than a human.

Id love to be his son!

G-CPTN
19th Jan 2015, 19:22
Both - childish behaviour on both sides IMO.

4mastacker
19th Jan 2015, 19:23
The invoice has four figures (1432). Has she done this sort of thing before?

And can I send an invoice to the bird who stood me up fifty years ago after I had booked table in a Wimpy bar?

G-CPTN
19th Jan 2015, 19:29
I can imagine that Ms Lawrence models herself on Katie Hopkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Hopkins).

Fareastdriver
19th Jan 2015, 19:34
I can see her point. She arranged a special for her son at the sking centre and was prepared to pay the entrance fee for all of them. All the indications were was that this boy was going to pitch up so she bought his ticket.

Whether the father of the boy had the information to tell the woman that there was a change of plan or not he still should, out of politeness, got her informed that his son wasn't going because he must have known what the women had in store for them. As soon as he found out that she had had suffered unnecessary expense because of his change of plan he should have volunteered it.

He deserves the bill; I would send him one.

surely not
20th Jan 2015, 09:25
Unless the invitation said that in the event of a no show, having previously said they would be going to attend, repayment of any costs incurred will be needed, I don't see that the woman who arranged the party has any recourse to claim monies back.

Yes it was pretty lame of the no-show family not to let the woman know, but perhaps their non human child had a sulk at the last minute and decided to see his Grandparent instead.

Neither family comes out of it well.

If the non human child had attended the party would the parents have been expected to pay? I haven't seen any reference to that in reports I have read

ShyTorque
20th Jan 2015, 09:42
Seems to me that she bought the ticket off her own bat, so unless the parents had agreed to pay then didn't, I don't see her point.

Did she ask for an RSVP? Did she not check with the parents to see if they had received the invite and had agreed their child would attend? If not, it could be said, in a strictly legal sense, that the invite was unsolicited mail... and no contract had been entered into.

As the saying goes, "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned". :rolleyes:

cattletruck
20th Jan 2015, 09:50
Silly mummy, she shoulda got the kids to sign a tight waterproof ironclad contract with a severe penalty clause.

Then she coulda have gotten them to agree to standard birthday policies and procedures and get them all to wear a hi-viz vest.

Lighting birthday candles is an elfin-saftey issue so they can just watch the video.

Oh what fun.

Octopussy2
20th Jan 2015, 10:52
Absolutely Heliport, couldn't agree more. Appalling behaviour by both sets of parents, but the Dad of the no-show child should have quietly (a) reflected on his own rudeness in accepting the invitation and not showing up, (b) mentally filed the mother as a nutter and best avoided, and (c) not paid. There would have been no consequences whatsoever.

As it is, this story has even made the news here and France (doubtless lots of other places), he has invaded his child's privacy (and that of the other child) with absolutely no thought of the consequences of doing so. And when they are teenagers this story will still be following them round.

This makes my blood boil - parents behaving like [email protected] idiots, without a thought for the consequences. Stupid, selfish man.

G-CPTN
20th Jan 2015, 11:30
I imagine that the crux of the matter hinges on the non-attendance of the invited child, therefore no 'present' for the birthday child to offset the expenditure for the ski-slope.

Seemples.

ATNotts
20th Jan 2015, 11:36
In my day a kids party was some cake and jelly, and a couple of games of pass the parcel and blind mans buff.

Nowadays Tarquin and Jemima have to be treated to the local ski slope!

In my view parents stupid, or wealthy enough to arrange that sort of party should also be prepared to take the hit if for some reason one of the invitees cannot attend - or are we now at a situation where anyone invited to a kids party should take out cancellation insurance, and those throwing it take out public liability and contingency insurance.

What a strange race we have become!

SMT Member
20th Jan 2015, 12:29
Wot he says.

Also noticed the Beeb has troubled themselves to draft a list of 'unwritten rules' for a sodding children's party, all of them exceedingly stupid and non-applicable to any children's party I, or any of my kids or kids of friends and family has ever attended. What world does this people live in?

Torque Tonight
20th Jan 2015, 12:41
Nowadays Tarquin and Jemima have to be treated to the local ski slope!

As someone who often drives through Torpoint in order to get to the nice parts of Cornwall, I can guarantee that there are no Tarquins and Jemimas in that town. Tylers and Kenzies more likely.

SpringHeeledJack
20th Jan 2015, 17:35
They're both a bit……Bad manners are everywhere, and sadly sooner or later we are all recipients of such, or even givers. I certainly have been both, but strive to be good mannered mostly. It seems to me that if £15 is of such importance to someone that they would go to serious lengths to 'reclaim damages' from a no show invitee, then they should perhaps have considered a simple and cheap party for their child, after all young children are more easily pleased than older ones, who have social boxes to tick on their route to being cool and groovy.

As I understand the chronology, invite accepted, xmas hols (2weeks) then decided to visit grandparents, didn't/couldn't decline invite, party went ahead minus 1 with success, miffed mother invoiced father (:rolleyes::} ) and mentioned it on FB etc, picked up by the meeja who, in all such matters went to town and it has spread far and wide, I've seen it mentioned in 4 different country's press. It's a silly situation that could happen to thousands, if not millions of parents who have and go to parties. If it had been me, I'd have shrugged my shoulders and not extended any further invites to said no-show. Her son had invited the other kid, not the mother, so as to how that will work at school and in the same class every school day for the next year(s) is questionable. All very silly indeed.

SHJ

funfly
20th Jan 2015, 17:40
Why didn't they just invite another child to join them?

Our neighbour's dog came into our garden this morning. Should I report this to the papers?

That would be silly wouldn't it?

Wouldn't it?

funfly
20th Jan 2015, 17:42
Doesn't a 'small claim' cost £36 minimum anyway?

KenV
20th Jan 2015, 18:07
Hmmm. Per the article: "It was a proper invoice with full official details and even her bank details on it."

I wonder what would happen if those "bank details" somehow got posted on the internet.

jayteeto
20th Jan 2015, 19:59
How could they invite another child?? If the selfish knob had bothered his ass to tell her they were not coming, they COULD have invited someone. A no show has to be paid for. That would really pee me off, even if it was only a couple of quid lost. Manners cost nothing.

macuser
21st Jan 2015, 01:11
I'm with you on this one, 100%

There are too many parents trying to upstage others in the playground by increasingly lavish birthday celebrations.

Annoying for the organising Mum but tough t***y in my view.

BillHicksRules
21st Jan 2015, 08:26
The mother comes off worse in this IMHO.

Places such as this only charge per attendee not per invitee.

She is clearly trying to make a very heavy handed point and also for some reason trying to con £15 out of the parents of the no-show.