PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Punch Up - Air India

Smilin_Ed
17th Jan 2015, 12:18
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESSJAN. 17, 2015, 4:08 A.M. E.S.T.

:ouch: NEW DELHI Air India said one of its flights was delayed Saturday after a pilot allegedly assaulted a ground engineer on board an aircraft as he prepared to take off for Paris from the southern Indian city of Chennai.
Air India ordered an inquiry into the incident, which delayed the flight by an hour with 122 passengers on board, said airline spokesman G.P. Rao.
The flight departed after another pilot replaced the one involved in the incident, Rao said, adding that it was not immediately known what triggered the clash.
The Press Trust of India news agency said the engineer, who was in the aircraft for a routine check, suffered a minor chin injury.

QFBUSBOY
17th Jan 2015, 12:57
Good luck if he tried that in Oz, NZ, the UK, or anywhere that engineers don't treat pilots as Skygods.

peekay4
17th Jan 2015, 21:09
An Air India A319 flight was delayed by more than two hours after pilot and aircraft engineer had a difference of opinion which ended up in a fight inside the cockpit on Saturday. The aircraft engineer was injured and was admitted to a private hospital while the pilot Captain Manik Lal has been grounded till investigations are completed.

Air India pilot and engineer fight inside cockpit at Chennai airport - The Times of India (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Air-India-pilot-and-engineer-fight-inside-cockpit-at-Chennai-airport/articleshow/45919770.cms)

Other reports state that the Captain then locked himself in the cockpit.

The injured engineer demanded to file a police complaint, and other Air India engineers are now threatening to strike to protest the alleged assault.

Don_Apron
18th Jan 2015, 12:32
The Indian class system coming to the fore.

The "Captain" will get away with it there, as connections are everything. Not quite so in other countries, but still there of course. The stench of nepotism that is.

I remeber well a case of a P1 and a P2 having a punch up in front of pax, in the galley of a flight preparing to depart. The out come was the P1 threw the P2 off the flight and carried on single pilot. This was hushed up on various media sites and that "airline" now is part of :mad: alliance. Makes me want to weep in disspear.

Dog Star
19th Jan 2015, 18:02
Air India brawl: Captain Manick thumps engineer in the cockpit causing Paris flight delay (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/air-india-brawl-captain-manick-thumps-engineer-cockpit-causing-paris-flight-delay-1483951) :ouch:

Capetonian
19th Jan 2015, 19:35
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/01/17/24CCC18300000578-2914848-image-m-21_1421531043207.jpg

How much does an Aston Martin cost in India? AI must pay well.

Hotel Tango
19th Jan 2015, 19:49
I see no smilies Capetonian, but I guess that's tongue in cheek. I have a photo of my 9 year old grandson in front of an Aston Martin, and I know that he sure as hell can't afford one! :)

Coagie
19th Jan 2015, 19:59
It's kind of refreshing to hear about folks solving things the old fashioned way. Seems like Prozac, Zoloft, etc, has everyone so "well adjusted", that you don't see nearly the amount of dust ups I saw when I was a kid. You don't really ever see any heated arguments anymore for that matter! As a result, fewer solutions are arrived at, only ineffective, politically correct compromises!
This pilot may end up canned, but, I'll bet; whatever they were fighting about gets solved.

Capetonian
19th Jan 2015, 20:00
I should have added the smilies, shouldn't I? But I know most Ppruners would understand.

peekay4
19th Jan 2015, 20:28
Hmm posted this a few days ago as it happened; thread was summarily deleted by the mods. :hmm:

west lakes
19th Jan 2015, 20:32
Interesting reporting, paragraphs 2 & 4 contradict each other!

However, captain Manick Lal wasn't convinced an earlier mechanical problem had been rectified and refused to fly.

"The flight engineer V.T. Kannan reached the cockpit and informed the pilot that the plane was yet to be handed over to the crew for flying.

Coagie
19th Jan 2015, 20:35
Careful peekay4. The Mods might ban you. They might think you're a Rocker!