PDA

View Full Version : American Sniper, Chris Kyle and Michael Moore

rgbrock1
19th Jan 2015, 17:32
As some of you undoubtedly know, the film 'American Sniper' - about the former American sniper Chris Kyle - has set all sorts of box office records.
I personally will wait until it comes out in some other format as I've already read the book so no surprises await me.

I did note that the uber-fatty named Michael Moore has stated that Chris Kyle and the people like him, i.e., snipers are "cowards"

Interesting word from someone who never spent a day in uniform.

Having known a sniper or two in my day, "coward" is one word I certainly would not use to describe them. The term "balls of steel" does come to mind however.

meadowrun
19th Jan 2015, 17:53
Moore just trying to scratch up some limelight. What has he done lately?

That said, some think Clint was a bit lazy with this one.

As for snipers - as brave as anyone who puts themselves in harm's way - for those out there on their own with a spotter - braver than most.

mad_jock
19th Jan 2015, 18:02
Having to help your mate shit in clingfilm is brave in my book.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Jan 2015, 18:03
Moore has been quoted out of context somewhat.
His full statements are here.
Michael Moore Offers Opinion On 'American Sniper' Following Sniper Tweets (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/19/michael-moore-american-sniper_n_6500658.html)

Fighter pilots are cowards too. We all try to shoot some git who hasn't seen us with a Mach 3 telegraph pole from 20 miles away, whilst we head hotfoot back to base for Tea & Medals.

charliegolf
19th Jan 2015, 18:17
Fighter pilots are cowards too. We all try to shoot some git who hasn't seen us with a Mach 3 telegraph pole from 20 miles away, whilst we head hotfoot back to base for Tea & Medals.

But the non-cowardly bit is knowing you might get the BT stick up your arse one day, but you still go.

CG

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Jan 2015, 18:19
There is that, yes :ooh:

..and the same applies to snipers. You're not exactly going to be persona grata if the locals catch you.

rgbrock1
19th Jan 2015, 18:31
Or think about the movie 'Enemy at the Gates' with Ed Harris. Where he portrayed a German sniper during WWII, going up against his counterpart Russian sniper. Sniper vs. sniper. :eek:

pigboat
19th Jan 2015, 18:42
It seems to me this whole thing can be boiled down to one simple question. Who would you like to have in your corner if the shit hits the fan, Moore or Kyle?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Jan 2015, 18:49
Moore; I can run faster than him! ;)

pigboat
19th Jan 2015, 19:15
Give that man a seegar! :D

tony draper
19th Jan 2015, 19:25
Face to face toe to toe wi sword or axe is the way it's supposed to be done,best man wins,the species benefits.
:rolleyes:

rgbrock1
19th Jan 2015, 19:35
Tony D wrote:

Face to face toe to toe wi sword or axe is the way it's supposed to be done,best man wins,the species benefits.

Tis true Tony D. But some of us like to watch things die from a good safe distance, right Fox3? :}:E

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Jan 2015, 19:52
On TV please, at a beach bar in another country. Preferably on another continent.

Perhaps this beach bar.
http://imgick.nj.com/home/njo-media/width620/img/atlantic-city-entertainment/photo/0528ballysjpg-9526d6ff83dc1fec.jpg

ORAC
19th Jan 2015, 20:00
"People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf" - George Orwell

Solid Rust Twotter
19th Jan 2015, 20:03

We'd still be living in trees if it all came down to muscle power. The sneaky bugger who drops the enemy at 600 yards then legs it is probably a linear link to our ancestor who decided to check out what was over the horizon.

tartare
19th Jan 2015, 23:29
Agree.
Hand to hand my ar$e.
Much rather be behind an Accuracy International a kilometre away.
And Michael Moore...?
What a fat foxtrot uniform charlie kilo he'd be...

Dark Knight
20th Jan 2015, 02:00
“Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns.

Who's gonna do it?

You? You; Lieutenant Weinberg?

I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall.

We use words like honour, code, loyalty.

We use them as the backbone of a life trying to defend something.

You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.

I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way.

Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post.

Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.”

"A Few Good Man", Col Jessep's monologue at the trial.

IBMJunkman
20th Jan 2015, 02:11
ORAC "People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf" - George Orwell

More than you want to know:
People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf | Quote Investigator (http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/11/07/rough-men/)

I do agree with the sentiment, though.

tartare
20th Jan 2015, 05:40
Well - regardless of what Mr Moore thinks (and I note he's now backpedalling like hell on Twitter) the `murican public have given Mr Eastwood 105.3 million good reasons (http://www.stripes.com/military-life/american-sniper-astounds-with-105-3m-over-mlk-weekend-1.324664) over the weekend to be proud of his film.

John Hill
20th Jan 2015, 06:09
Said to be from his autobiography..

"If you see anyone from about sixteen to sixty-five and they’re male, shoot ‘em. Kill every male you see.”

Solid Rust Twotter
20th Jan 2015, 08:18
Moore pedaling the Revers-o-Cycle like a good'un? It's the only exercise the lardy waste of blood and organs gets, I suppose.

tony draper
20th Jan 2015, 08:38
Best way to do it is to stand up and say in a loud imperious voice,"Send forth my Legions" then sit back down on the throne and order one of your hand maidens to bring you a nice cuppa tea.

chuks
20th Jan 2015, 10:03
John Hill, how about reading the book first (available on-line as a free PDF for some reason), to see if that quote is there before quoting it?

I have to ask because I just skimmed the book, when I don't recall coming across those words you quote. They might well be there, but I don't think that they are. Your track record for historical accuracy is a bit hit-or-miss, of course. If your quote is in the book, please give a page reference.

It's interesting that Kyle's sarcastic reply about wanting to shoot someone holding a Koran instead of an AK-47 recently was quoted out of context.

What had happened was that Kyle killed a fellow holding an AK-47, when his widow claimed that it had been a Koran instead. Kyle told the military investigator that he wanted to shoot everyone holding a Koran, but that he didn't do that sort of thing. (Since there was a witness to the fact that the fellow he killed had, indeed, been holding a weapon instead of a Koran, Kyle was cleared of any suspicion that he had shot the man outside of the ROE.) So the liberal commentator left out the underlined part, completely changing the meaning of what the man said.

Pinky the pilot
20th Jan 2015, 10:39
Forgot exactly where I read it but wasn't someone going to or did, write an article entitled,
Michael Moore is a stupid fat white man.
:confused::confused:

Octopussy2
20th Jan 2015, 10:59
.....and the significance of Mr. Moore's size is ... what, in the context of this debate?

Sure, you may not like him, you may disagree with him, you may wish to insult him, but "fat"? That's just playground level. Please - try something more imaginative.

Limeygal
20th Jan 2015, 12:18
Octo-:ok::ok:

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2015, 12:44
Sure, you may not like him, you may disagree with him, you may wish to insult him, but "fat"? That's just playground level. Please - try something more imaginative.

Yes I agree, the word "fat", used in conjunction with Michael Moore, is playground level indeed.

Instead, I suggest the use of the word blubbery. A huge, blubbery, whining, whinging foxtrot, uniform, charlie, kilo.

:ok::ok::ok:

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2015, 12:45
Dark Knight:

I like the lines you quoted from "A Few Good Men."

Who were US Marines. Which is fine. However, one must always keep in mind:

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

:ok::ok::ok:

Blacksheep
20th Jan 2015, 13:11
.....and the significance of Mr. Moore's size is ... what, in the context of this debate?Well, it makes him a bigger target than a skinny feller and easier to spot.

rgbrock1
20th Jan 2015, 18:58
In an instant, the Canadian Special Forces, who were only in Iraq to train the Iraqi Army to fight ISIL, found themselves in a firefight with jihadists. Canadian Brigadier General Michael Rouleau told AFP, "My troops had completed a planning session with senior Iraqi leaders several kilometers behind the front lines. When they moved forward to confirm the planning at the front lines in order to visualize what they had discussed over a map, they came under immediate and effective mortar and machine gunfire." It took some Canadian sniping to "neutralize both threats," according to the general, which we infer means Canadian snipers -- boots on the ground -- sent a few ISIL soldiers to meet their 72 virgins

tartare
20th Jan 2015, 20:55
Playground level insults?
So sue me.
No apology made.
The guy's a fool.

tdracer
21st Jan 2015, 00:32
It's the title of a book - tartare and company didn't exactly event it.
Michael Moore Is a Big Fat Stupid White Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Moore_Is_a_Big_Fat_Stupid_White_Man)

Pinky the pilot
21st Jan 2015, 01:31
Thanks tdracer.:ok:

It's amazing how quickly a bloke can get flamed simply for asking a question though. Please note that I did not indicate if I agreed with the appropriateness of the description.

david1300
21st Jan 2015, 10:55
Or think about the movie 'Enemy at the Gates' with Ed Harris. Where he portrayed a German sniper during WWII, going up against his counterpart Russian sniper. Sniper vs. sniper. :eek:

A fim that really showed the role of the sniper in WW2, and how their actions had a direct?/literal impact as well as the psychological.

tony draper
21st Jan 2015, 11:08
Some of our redcoats were issued with high powered air rifles during the Napoleonic wars and because they operated silently compare to Brown Bess they faced immediate execution if caught by the enemy(the French) they were more fussy about such things in those days and silent firearms were considered ungentlemanly
That's what I read anyway.
:hmm:

chuks
21st Jan 2015, 18:07
The Japanese went back from firearms to swords, and bows and arrows, because of the way some lousy little pleb with a musket could knock off a samurai despite the samurai's years of training in the martial arts.

What is Japanese for "It's just not the done thing, old boy,"?