PDA

View Full Version : Qantas rumoured to receive its first female CEO

noworries
19th Jan 2015, 01:52
Inside the Australian business leader's fraternity, whispers are spreading that current Qantas CEO AJ will deliver his final half yearly results, as his "transformation" programme is now complete. More interestingly those whispers reveal who is set to replace him. Qantas is set to see it's female CEO, the recently departed Westpac CEO Gail Kelly.

Her philosophy on business and life would see a fresh change fly through the flying kangaroo.

Westpac CEO Gail Kelly's seven lessons for life and business (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/westpac-ceo-gail-kellys-seven-lessons-for-life-and-business-20141113-11ljh4.html)

Stay tuned.

Troo believer
19th Jan 2015, 08:40
Lord, hear my prayer!

crosscutter
19th Jan 2015, 08:47
Rumour: Joyce going; Gail Kelly coming (http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/qantas-frequent-flyer-program/rumour-joyce-going-gail-kelly-64880.html)

Not new but a good rumour nonetheless

ohallen
19th Jan 2015, 09:04
I thought she specifically denied any other CEO role when she announced leaving Westpac but who knows because it would be a game changer of epic proportions if pulled off.

Then again, doubt Clifford would recruit anyone intellectually superior to himself or who would challenge status quo, so that is a big hurdle.

lotsta
19th Jan 2015, 09:07
You're all dreaming. The AJ leaving rumour has reared its head every few months for years, but he will be here until mid-2016 at least.

Spey
19th Jan 2015, 09:17
Have met and subsequently worked for Gail.

This is not to be dismissed...

Just watch.

ramius315
19th Jan 2015, 10:59
This could be very interesting.

There is another announcement reported to be coming in mid Feb regarding jet acquisitions. Yes plural.

Gamechanging.

:ok:

Australopithecus
19th Jan 2015, 11:45
While I am always hopeful that AJ represents the absolute low tide mark for CEO character anywhere and that he will go soon, I have to wonder what the hell an executive of Kelly's calibre would find attractive about working under an L. Clifford board?

Kelly as a new chair has more plausibility, and more cause for celebration.

Either way would be a win for the long suffering customers and staff of a once, and maybe future, great airline.

ratpoison
19th Jan 2015, 12:50
Oh excellent:ugh:
The twisted, perverted and corrupt banksters slide into the airline industry. Things are looking up. :D:D

swh
19th Jan 2015, 16:01
Like I say to many people, why take a pay cut to come into aviation ?

HappyBandit
19th Jan 2015, 16:52
Jet acquisitions.....yay qlink finally getting jets!!! 😉:}

Sunfish
19th Jan 2015, 17:23
Gail Kelly wouldn't lower herself to be Qantas Chair, let alone CEO.

Eastwest Loco
19th Jan 2015, 21:37
Hmmm ....

So, let me get this right.

What previous CEOs are, this one would have?

Interesting:}

Best all

EWL

Transition Layer
19th Jan 2015, 21:58
There is another announcement reported to be coming in mid Feb regarding jet acquisitions. Yes plural.

This rumour gets stronger by the day.

But as anyone in Flight Ops management from DT all the way down will tell you, it won't be flown under the LH award.

neville_nobody
19th Jan 2015, 22:27
But as anyone in Flight Ops management from DT all the way down will tell you, it won't be flown under the LH award.

Yep I reckon they'll put it out to contract and be inundated by expats falling over each other to fly it. Most of which will be already be rated if it's a 777 or 787.

Then again, doubt Clifford would recruit anyone intellectually superior to himself or who would challenge status quo, so that is a big hurdle.

Interesting that the AFR has expressed similar sentiments about Clifford in relation to the hiring of Todd Sampson.

Tuner 2
19th Jan 2015, 22:29
"Yep I reckon they'll put it out to contract and be inundated by expats falling over each other to fly it. Most of which will be already be rated if it's a 777 or 787."

No, they won't.

neville_nobody
19th Jan 2015, 22:31
Why not? What do you call Network, QantasLink, Qantas Freight, Jetstar, JetConnect and Atlas Cargo?

They all carry QF flight numbers and half of them are in QF uniforms and Red Tails?

Tuner 2
19th Jan 2015, 22:34
Because they have 1500 long haul pilots to use without the need for expats. They will certainly seek concessions for a new type though.

Expats can keep up the tradition of coming home and working on some of the country's crappiest terms and conditions without the need for flying mainline planes.

SandyPalms
19th Jan 2015, 22:53
I don't think they can Neville. That was one of the wins in the Shorthaul EA.

Not sure how jetconnect is effected, but I would think it's immune as it's not subject to the integration award being a NZ company.

Transition Layer
19th Jan 2015, 23:30
I never said anything about it being offered to expats or other parts of the group, I just doubt it will be under the current agreement.

Think QCCA/QD Flight Attendants or something similar.

Rodney Rotorslap
19th Jan 2015, 23:37
I recall similar euphoria when Cosgrove was appointed to the board.

goodonyamate
19th Jan 2015, 23:53
TL is correct

It will not be under the current T&C of the LH EA. It will however still come under the LH EA, albeit under different terms. An AIPA rep and a company rep have both stated this. It reduces the workload on both sides by removing the need to negotiate yet another EA.

The company has openly said any new type for QF will be flown by current crew. I believe this is also stipulated in the LH EA and the SH EA (as per the above reference to the IA). There are certain conditions to be met, however any expat/Jetconnect/Qlink/Cobham (gone in 2017)/other crew having wet dreams about flying QF types...bad luck

Re Gail Kelly, don't know enough about her. But whilst the whino still reigns, i can't see much changing.

Kiwiconehead
20th Jan 2015, 02:08
Nothing wrong with having a banker as CEO of an airline during restructure.

Ralph Norris certainly did a good job sorting out eh train wreck that was Air NZ after Brierlys had finished with it.

crosscutter
20th Jan 2015, 02:08
Alan is not going to announce a new type and then vacate with his parachute.

If there is a new type announcement Alan is going nowhere.

No incoming CEO/chairman of Gail's calibre would allow the incumbent to sign up to these spending commitments months before their departure. You would hope no board would commit to aircraft purchases knowing their time was up. Sadly, LC and AJ might see this as another look at me moment.

I can't see Alan leaving and who's going to push him. So let's just hope for a new type announcement.

dirty deeds
20th Jan 2015, 02:30
It all comes down to the $$$$, and who's more "efficient" (hate the context of this word) at operating the aircraft. It also depends on which market this new aircraft will operate and compete in. If its low cost, it will compete in the low cost market (therefore low cost salaries), if its competing in the LH arena then the cost structures are going to have to match the Asian and Middle Eastern Carriers with whom your competing with. A horrible logic, yet unfortunately the sign of the times.

Don't discount any possibilities as to who can operate this new aircraft, only management have this plan somewhere on a whiteboard in a back office.

Soteria
20th Jan 2015, 02:53
In Joyce's eyes now might be the ideal time to bail as 'on paper' they have turned a corner, making steady money, ticked a few boxes and met some KPI's. Most CEO's like to go out 'on top' so to speak, head for the next trough. Then again regardless of whether Joyce is helping QF make a profit or not probably doesnt really matter to him because he is still pulling in millions and millions of dollars in salary, bonuses and other fiddles, regardless. For him it's win win.

Troo believer
20th Jan 2015, 04:44
No it will be a negotiated process between AIPA and Qantas Airways Ltd as per integration award. Nothing else is possible unless they want a legal nightmare.

What The
20th Jan 2015, 07:49
No it will be a negotiated process between AIPA and Qantas Airways Ltd as per integration award. Nothing else is possible unless they want a legal nightmare.

Correct. I am so glad that the people who have swallowed the kool aid and want to create a whole new worlds are nowhere near this process. Give everything up to get a shiny new jet. How is that working at JQ at the moment? If the pilot award determines whether a new type is introduced into Qantas International then we are in deep poo. I don't believe we are in deep poo.

Cloud Cutter
20th Jan 2015, 18:14
Ralph Norris certainly did a good job sorting out the train wreck that was Air NZ

Exactly right. I think the type of CEO that's best for a company depends on the times. The banking environment is at least as cutthroat as the airline industry, possibly more so. Gail is a tireless and inspirational leader and Qantas is due for a turnaround - could be a match made in heaven!

howyoulikethat
20th Jan 2015, 22:34
As mentioned before it will be a lady......but she is already part of the Qantas Group!

Taildragger67
21st Jan 2015, 19:56
Re Ramius's post (#7) concerning new aircraft: see today's AFR. Reportedly, 789s have already been ordered but the order has not yet been finalised.

Pinky the pilot
22nd Jan 2015, 00:27
......but she is already part of the Qantas Group!

Oh please, please do not let it be the person whose name immediately came to mind when I read the above!:eek::uhoh::ugh:

Life could not possibly be that cruel!:hmm:

plainmaker
22nd Jan 2015, 01:50
Might be why the Board has been strengthened in areas of Marketing and Communications! (or are you thinking different woman to the one I thought of who has had a meteoric rise in the 'preferred' ranks) :yuk: