PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the instructors rating current?

flyboy1818
17th Jan 2015, 18:49
Last year I made the move from instructing to flying a very nice bizjet :ok:

I'm very happy in business aviation and have no intentions of moving onto the airlines, my current aspiration is to move into the left hand seat at some point (next 3-5 years).

My instructors rating expires this year and I would like to know the opinion of other ex-instructors. Have you kept the rating current? Has it been a valuable asset for you? Has it made the eventual transition onto TRI/TRE or SFI any easier?

ksjc
17th Jan 2015, 21:21
"If you work hard to get a license for something never let it go." Heard that once years ago and it stuck with me.

I "graduated" from flight instructing in 1989 and still keep a current CFI with the help of AOPA's CFI online renewal program every 2 years.

At 51 years old and 12,000 hours in the books I don't see going back to CFIing even in the worst of times but still can't let it go.

In practical terms I am so out of touch with light aircraft GA ops and all things associated that have changed over 25 years that I would probably make a poor initial instructor anyway. Been flying jets since and probably have logged a grand total of 30 hours SEL since 1990 although I have been a company instructor and FAR 135 check pilot in jets and certainly my CFI certificate and experience helped me during that point in my career.

A 2 year CFI renewal program (in the US) is only $120 and can be done online. Keep your CFI current.

portsharbourflyer
17th Jan 2015, 21:56
ksjc,

If only it was that cheap in EASA land.

The seminar is about £270 and flight test (Examiner FEE + aircraft hire) needed in EASA land if you are not currently instructing probably totals up around another £400, so in total £700 to renew an FI rating.

ksjc
17th Jan 2015, 23:03
Bummer.

As much as the world likes to bash the USA some things are better here. $120 for a 2 year CFI renewal is one of them. The FAA does not charge a fee. $20 to renew California driver's license for 5 years is another.

B200Drvr
17th Jan 2015, 23:34
I agree with KSJC, I will never let mine expire!! As it goes, it did help get a great job when I was looking in 2008. I was flying a Hawker 850 and a well paid position came up that required a valid FI rating, that took 95% of the competition away, and I got the position.
Flyboy, Although you might not need it today, at least keep it valid for a few years until you have more experience, as you never know in corporate when things suddenly change.

No Fly Zone
18th Jan 2015, 04:22
As most above note, Keep It Current. You never know when it may come in handy... Countless reasons that you may need it (or even want it) in years to come.

BizJetJock
18th Jan 2015, 11:04
And yes you do get credit for the core course for a TRI even if it has expired by a few years. It is also very useful in real expoerience terms if you make the move into the training side of corporate flying.

flyboy1818
18th Jan 2015, 21:26
Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I think I will keep the rating!:ok:

dashman20
19th Jan 2015, 18:37
Keep it and use it as long as poss.I kept mine going for over 10 yrs whilst flying turbo props and jets and it did me a lot of good-and I got a lot of pleasure from it.
When events made it impracticle to maintain I really missed it,and the skill set in my''proper' job went down too!
You already know the answer(even if you do it for free).