View Full Version : Become a Pliot in Australia

Flying Spaniard
9th Jun 2001, 22:51
Hello,
I am studying college in Holland right now and i am probably moving to Australia next year when i finish, in Holland we got 4 ways of become a ATP
1.- KLS part of KLM
2.- NLS from the schreiner group
3.- The Airforce
4.- Via flight schools on all Dutch airports (max CPL or theorie ATPL)
It is very hard toget accepted at the Airforce or NLS, KLS only 25 of the 120 people that aply for the school get selected and then again at the KLS people have to pay almost $AU200.000.- NLS is little chaper but you dont got the accomodation and the KLM's "good name"
Though there are very good lend and bank loans in holland you might even get sponsorship from the KLM in theory it is possible for anyone (money or not) for doing the course.
I think it is a waste of time for me to go and try to do it here in Holland becuase it is so hard to get in and at the end of the ATP course you only have about 250 hours and that is not much.
My girlfriend is from Australia and she studys there, i want to move there and study for pilot there. For that i need to be fluent in english and need some kind of
Baccalaureate in English which i dont have but i can get, i can do a test there if my information is correct.(talking about NSW)
I want to know what the posibilities are for me to go and get my ATPL in Australia.
Is it easyer to get PPL first and then go and get CPL and then Instrumental rating and so on till ATPL?
What are the approx costs?
What does the "rent" costs of a Cessna 152 in Australia? In Holland and Spain i pay about AU$240 per hour i think this is very expensive compared to Asutralia, is this correct?
Any tips for me?
i already got a RPL which is comparable to PPL but only qualified for the Netherlands and Spain and i also got 172 hours on the 152 and Piper warrior II will this help me to get into a flying school?
Many thanks

------------------

AICUS
10th Jun 2001, 11:54
Flying Spaniard,
You should think carefully about doing your CPL/ATPL in Australia. Although it is cheaper, the cost and extra work (exams) of conversion makes it a difficult choice. I got my frozen ATPL down under and then managed to return before JAR implementation.

The cost of a C152 is about AUD$160 so it is cheaper but you also will have to take account of living costs.

If you do decide to go, you will really enjoy it. I flew out of Sydney and there's no place like it. There are also good GA opportunities and instructing jobs. However you will need Australian residency as a minumum to be considered for employment.

If you want to live there for a few years then maybe it's not a bad choice, but if you plan on flying in the EU then it might be more prudent to bite the bullet and just do your training here.

Anyway whatever your decision just make sure you enjoy it!!!

[This message has been edited by AICUS (edited 10 June 2001).]

Flying Spaniard
10th Jun 2001, 13:00
I have been in holland now for 6 years and i speak fluent dutch with absolutely no accent and dont like Holland as a place to live.
living cost in holland is incredible expensive compared to Aus. also rentig prices of houses are much to elevated.
So at the end of the day i would be happier and cheaper in Australia i think. but then again i would have to intergrate which will obviously will be much easyer than when i came to holland i spoke absolutely NO dutch only Russian, English, Spanish and some French.
Then again in Holland everything is so organized everything has got a rule there is absolutely no place where nobodey has ever been it is crowded to so i don't realy feel confortable here.
I would like to Return to Russia or Spain but the study/political issues make it impossible there.
Regards Fabian
Thanks to Skip Fulton! of
RegionAir Flight Training

------------------

Dude~
10th Jun 2001, 16:41
AICUS,
I am thinking about doing an aussie CPL just for the fun of it, but I am also interested in working there for a year or two, not necessarily in flying. Anyway, what do I need to know about being able to work in Oz and getting a residency permit?

Cheers

AICUS
11th Jun 2001, 18:19
Dude~ -
If you're planiing to go for a while and work you'll need to apply for residency. You can get details from any Australian embassy but it works on a points system e.g. XXX points for being under 25, XXX points for qualifications, etc. (they also like no criminal record. :))
Anyway you get enough points and your in, then you can do what you like.

I managed to get my hands on a student visa as i was studying at University as well as flying. This visa used to allow you to work but alas not anymore.
If you do decide to go and fly, there are plenty of jobs in GA if you're prepared to travel i.e. live in the last place god created!!!
If you don't get residency you can get a one year working holiday visa which allows you to work for no more than 3 months at any one job and will expire after 1 year. You can only get one of these visas (i.e. you can't keep applying for a one year visa) unless you can manage to get sponsored by a company (very difficult).

I know it sounds complicated, but as with everything in life there's more than just one possibility.

I'd advise a trip to your local embassy if you're that keen. And if you do go you'll love it, i only lived there for just over 2 years and would have stayed longer if circumstances had allowed.

Whatever you decide best of luck