PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop a legacy driver?

Super VC-10
16th Jan 2015, 17:30
I've got serious problem with my computer. A "legacy driver" keeps trying to install. This causes the computer to freeze, necessitating turning off the power in order to restart. On restart, the computer keeps wanting to check the disk, but will always freeze at stage three. Othertimes, it does random restarts. On getting the computer restarted, it brings up the window with the legacy driver and asks whether I want to continue or abort. Neither option makes a blind bit of difference, as a few hours later we are back to square one. A search on the computer for legacy driver brings no results.

klintE
16th Jan 2015, 18:31
Which operating system, what computer configuration?

Super VC-10
16th Jan 2015, 19:51
Windows XP. Not sure about other part though.

klintE
16th Jan 2015, 20:26
I was on XP years ago :uhoh: Not sure i can help

Ok, try to run your computer in safe mode (when rebooting, before windows starts, keep pressing F8 key)
Will see if this is software or hardware problem.

Legacy driver it's not telling too much.
Need to figure out some way what program or device wants to update.
My shot is graphic card nvidia driver.
If so, maybe to download original driver form a producer site and install it.

cdtaylor_nats
16th Jan 2015, 20:32
Have you by any chance changed either keyboard or mouse from a PS2 type to a USB connector?

Super VC-10
17th Jan 2015, 18:55
Both keyboard and mouse are USB, been that way for years.

klintE
18th Jan 2015, 00:00
Maybe try to disable Legacy USB Support in BIOS and see if this problem still occurs.
[Typically it's in Integrated Peripherals BIOS section]

Obba
24th Jan 2015, 00:32
Type msconfig in the run box.

Click on Startup and see what things are being loaded. You might find some really obvious nasty things loading.

In Services click 'hide Microsoft' and check out those as well.

Untick what you don't want loading in future and reboot. If you're not sure of what the program/service is that is loading/ticked - write it down and Google it.

Legacy drivers issues are normally the drivers that came with the install disc (legacy). so it would appear that there is a new driver trying to take over the operation of the 'old' legacy one.

Don't run those CC/Registry Cleaner things!

Another thing to do is (you need the CD), is I think pressing f8 or F5 and do a 'Repair'. YouTube it. It will repair your install (but not delete any data), will do all the legacy stuff...

Winnerhofer
7th Feb 2015, 19:28
When not update your drivers with some 3rd party software?