PDA

View Full Version : Oopppsss...someone forgot to close the cover door!

JanetFlight
15th Jan 2015, 17:14
Today's morning at Luena, Angola, 737-700 :

http://s27.postimg.org/5yhdar62b/image.jpg

http://s11.postimg.org/xmx7ql2yr/image.jpg

IMHO not necessary to post the METAR :p

lansen
15th Jan 2015, 17:18
This one would suit perfectly in the "You know you're in Africa" thread :E

djagger
15th Jan 2015, 19:02
T.I.A.!....

CJ750
16th Jan 2015, 04:07
Eish
Dont need chocks

Anilv
16th Jan 2015, 04:32
Bet he couldn't get it in the hole if he was actually trying!

onetrack
16th Jan 2015, 04:47
What's the bet someone stole the cover for scrap?? This is Africa, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Dave Sharpe
17th Jan 2015, 08:06
One Track---sadly that could be parts of England as well---in my part of the east its been such a problem that plastic covers are being used for the thieves would wait untill the Contractors replaced them and just pinch them again in darkness"!!!

cavortingcheetah
17th Jan 2015, 08:36
One difference might be that, had the cover been stolen for scrap in Angola, it might well have been taken be an indigenous local native in order to sell the metal so as to buy food for his starving family. In the English case however, the more than likely possibility could be that the cover would be purloined by a transient extra-territorial who would sell the metal in order to facilitate either an investment in a stolen Mercedes or a holiday home in an eastern European country.

onetrack
17th Jan 2015, 09:16
sadly that could be parts of England as well---in my part of the east its been such a problem that plastic covers are being used for the thieves would wait untill the Contractors replaced them and just pinch them again in darkness"!!!So .. who or what is running "airside security" in your neck of the woods?? The thieves themselves?? That is of great concern in the current trend of nastiness coming from those of extremist bent. :(

Propstop
17th Jan 2015, 23:10
The same thing on the roads around LAD when I worked there as the old covers were cast iron.

B200Drvr
17th Jan 2015, 23:48
Onetrack, Clearly you have not flown in Central Africa!! Airside security is run by the guy with the biggest hands, and to be honest, there are not to many of those fundamentalist types in that area, more chance of hitting livestock because someone needed some fencing!!

onetrack
18th Jan 2015, 03:17
B200Drvr - I fully understand the situation as regards African aviation, security, and airport fencing - but Dave Sharpe appears to indicate that manhole cover theft was a problem in England, where I would expect airside security to be more robust than any African location.

big buddah
18th Jan 2015, 23:29
Interesting would like to see more photo's?
Looks like the crew have gone off the yellow guidance lines. They're there for a reason. I'd say that tried to gain that little bit of extra runway that was never designed for it?? African runway op's!! Probably got away with 100 times before but takes one little theft and then bugger!!

four engine jock
19th Jan 2015, 11:46
Yup! Looks like they did try to get some extra Runway.... Bad ideal.
Follow the line!

shlittlenellie
19th Jan 2015, 11:50
Isn't that an exit guidance line rather than line-up?

flapsjml
25th Jan 2015, 13:42
Picture 2: looks like skid marks?

Farrell
25th Jan 2015, 17:01
So did someone remove the cover or did it break on the rollover?