PDA

View Full Version : Original ZX Spectrum.

G-CPTN
14th Jan 2015, 22:58
I have an early ZX Spectrum 48K,which I bought for my son when they first came out.

Will it be possible to use it?

I see two problems, one being how to load programmes without a cassette player - though the BASIC should still be accessible for 'constructed' inputs, just they will not be able to be saved when the machine is switched off (?)

The other problem I can foresee, which might be insolvable (though I do have a possible solution) is whether a current TV set will work as a monitor?

As I understand, the 405/625 lines changeover started in 1964 - well before the Spectrum (1982), but I believe that current TV sets are 'digital' - and don't have the coaxial socket for the aerial input that was used by the Spectrum.

I don't have a digital television, but my idea would be to give the Spectrum to my son for his son (who is already older than his father was in 1982). They don't have an analogue TV (but I do).

What do you think?

nebpor
15th Jan 2015, 00:19
Most modern TVs do indeed still have a traditional arial input, as they include a digital TV receiver - they will still read an analogue speccy input fine I would have thought.

You can get a cheap cassette player off ebay that will do the job - you can reacquaint yourself with fumbling with a jewellers screwdriver to adjust the azimuth on the head :E

It will also be great fun - old home computers are the perfect way for todays kids to learn programming skills, as they are super simple and don't include the distraction of Internet connectivity. My 2 year old will be inheriting my BBC Model B once he's old enough - I learned to code on it at 12 and it's given me a career worth of skills :8

G-CPTN
15th Jan 2015, 08:56
Many thanks!

Ant
15th Jan 2015, 18:10
It will ONLY work if your TV is old enough to be able to tune in the now defunct analogue PAL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL) broadcast signal. Modern Freeview sets, while using the same coax antenna input will only decode digital broadcast signals. The two ain't the same.

Doors to Automatic
16th Jan 2015, 12:39
There is a new version coming out as a games console pre-loaded with every single game ever written.

ZX Spectrum gets new lease of life as Vega games console | Technology | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/02/zx-spectrum-vega-games-console)

P.Pilcher
20th Jan 2015, 17:06
Be advised that some of the latest tellies (including my 6 month old Samsung) will accept and display an analogue input from a standard UHF telly signal in PAL. Mine seemed most miffed when I declined to let it search for analogue channels during the setup procedure triggered when I switched it on for the first time!

spekesoftly
21st Jan 2015, 09:41
I believe that the majority of TVs made and sold during the digital change-over period had both analogue and digital receivers. My 6 year old Sony does, and my mother's two Samsungs likewise, but I'm surprised that some recent TVs still have an analogue input.

henry_crun
21st Jan 2015, 12:18
ZX Spectrum - one on top of every uk wardrobe. :8

jimjim1
21st Jan 2015, 17:30
I was for no reason I know of mulling over the possible problems with modern TVs vs Spectrum modulated video output. I have no idea if modern TVs continue to have analogue tuners but I suspect they may still retain them for use with video recorders and the like.

I recalled though, the BBC micro circuit diagram that I spent so many hours poring over with various degrees of comprehension (often not much) and the simplicity of the video circuitry that accepted the output from the video generator and sound magic chips and created the RGB, Composite Video and Modulated UHF outputs - in that order.

The Spectrum of course must be very similar!

A quick google zx spectrum composite video modAnd of course someone has done it. One brave soul seems to have a no-soldering option.

The idea is to intercept the video signals before the UHF modulator and lead them out of the case.

I have not looked at any of the material since I do have a spectrum but there are options.

Then there is the sound?

TVs have composite video in and SCART and VGA are both pretty much RGB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbNowKZ00g
No-Soldering Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k Composite

Google zx spectrum scart videoZX Spectrum - SPECTRA SCART Interface (http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/Spectrum/Spectra/SpectraInterface.htm)
The SPECTRA interface is a multi-purpose peripheral for the 16K/48K ZX Spectrum. Its primary function is to allow the Spectrum to be connected to a TV via a SCART socket to produce an RGB picture that is sharp, bright and free from dot-crawl.
My suggestion is not to bother, get a simulator/emulator for you PC if you must have that '80s exerience.

John Marsh
26th Jan 2015, 12:27
jimjim1:
My suggestion is not to bother, get a simulator/emulator for you PC if you must have that '80s experience.Ah, but what about that Spectrum
experience? Wobbly, slippery synthetic rubber keys, nicely heated by the electronics inside the case. Conundrums in dexterity as you try to hold down interesting key combinations to access various functions.

And... the sound of a wasp in a tin!:ok:

Blues&twos
8th Feb 2015, 12:40
Our brand new Panasonic TV has an analogue tuner, which autotunes either on initial set up, or later via the various menus. I don't have any analogue consoles anymore so I've never used the option, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. It's just an analogue signal in the old TV range.
Actually, I do still have a Sega Megadrive in the loft somewhere....might give it a try when I'm bored one day.