PDA

View Full Version : KamAir

CFBeehner
13th Jan 2015, 23:06
I worked for these deadbeats for about 2 months. I was hired over the phone-no contract (red flag) for a schedule of 40 days on and 20 days off with commuting costs paid by company. (Red Flag-ya I knew better but I needed the $$$).
After getting myself to Dubai in October (they told me they would reimburse me for my ticket) and getting a line check, I was given line assignments for the next month or so. By mutual agreement my pay was to commence on 1 October.
I don't need a lot in creature comforts and certainly don't require a Marriott, but I have to say that the hotel in Kabul was easily just about the worst in my career. No closet to hang your clothes, no chair in the room, and a bed that looked like it was built for a midget. No room for your shave kit the bathroom either.
After returning Stateside in November for days off, I was told to standby for sim training. Days go by, no paycheck. When is payday I asked (before I hired on)-the answer was 15th of the month. 20th-still no money. Emails sent-"oh yes we are sending you your pay on such and such date" which comes and goes again. Weeks go by. It is 21 December. You are going to love this. I get a letter terminating my services "backdated" to the 8th of November. No explanation, no justification, no nothing. Wait a minute I say to myself-I flew their damn jet from Iraq to UAE on the 12th of November....WTF????? How can these :mad: terminate me retroactively and then use my services on top of it???? Cut to the chase-they owe me 2 months pay ($20,000) plus my airline ticket ($2000) plus $800 in expense and perdiem. For the benefit of those that don't know me, I am no flake pilot and certainly no novice. I have 22,000 hours+9000 B747 and I know my stuff-been DFO, CP, CA, Instructor, and I really resent the hell out of :mad: outfits like this one that blatantly rip pilots off. That is THEFT and FRAUD. It pisses me off I have to go the the UAE to sue these :mad: AND my former employer as combined they owe me north of $70,000. Anyone who knows a law firm in Dubai willing to take case on contingency I would appreciate a heads up.

Proline21
15th Jan 2015, 19:54
Hello,

very sorry to hear what happened to you. I don't have any information regarding your question but I have a question if you don't mind.

Assuming that you signed for the Kam Air B747 freighter contract and given your experience level what makes your situation so desperate, that you need to work for an Afghan Airline?

I see plenty of adverts for reputable Asian 747 operators such as Eva Air or Korean Air that are desperate for 747 drivers.

Or has it to do with age limitations?

Please excuse me asking but I am curious.

Cheers

too_much
16th Jan 2015, 08:12
There are no decent hotels in Kabul fact! And with the US pulling out your risk of attack just doubled...

I know of Kam air, they are the easy jet of Afghanistan using old MD82's and 1 B767-200 that always seems to be parked up by the flood lights.

The 747 is a -200 I believe so Korean Eva etc operate the -400 completely different aircraft.

All the afgan carriers are proper dodge and have robbed thousands of expats.

My advice to all would be to avoid this region all together and let the locals and neighboring countries pilots fly there. After all the money or experience is no good to you if your dead....

CFBeehner
17th Jan 2015, 15:23
Hi

Well I am going to be 64 in March so no Asian carriers for me.

CFBeehner
17th Jan 2015, 15:32
There are definitely better hotels in Kabul than the one I stayed in, that is a fact. The Operator of their airplanes is a Georgian carrier, which seemed to be reputable enough. The payment scheme was not what I thought when I signed up.
As far as Afghanistan and safety, I flew in and out of the country for the previous 3 years. Considering it is a combat zone, it is safe enough. The hotels that cater to expats in Kabul have their own security-and from what I saw of them it was pretty good. The machines are B747200F-and to my pleasant surprise, they are pretty nice jets. Good idea to stay away from KamAir as well as other carriers in the area-I agree.
My reason for the post was so that other pilots could avoid what happened to me. Your welcome by the way.

TUIFly
20th Jan 2015, 12:05
So it's bit unclear who owns you money KamAir itself or georgian operator which is I beleive The Cargo Airlines?

If it's georgian operator you can make complains via gcaa web site and I 'm sure they will find out what is going on.

CFBeehner
30th Jan 2015, 22:04
It is KamAir that owes me the money, according to TCA.