PDA

View Full Version : Key to your soul

probes
13th Jan 2015, 17:53
"Cambridge and Stanford scientists have discovered that Facebook likes can be mapped on to a personality profile used in clinical psychology so that you can get a remarkably accurate estimate of people’s scores on five well-established dimensions of personality just by analysing several hundred Facebook likes.

What makes this particularly spooky is that the “likes” in question are not particularly personal ones. There are, says David Stillwell, one of the researchers, something like 100,000,000,000 likes registered in Facebook’s databases. So the team ignored all the personal things that were liked, and concentrated on those few Facebook pages with more than 100,000 likes. These are almost by definition pop culture, rather than expressions of the subtleties of individual personality: to know that someone likes tanning, or Harry Potter, doesn’t really distinguish them from millions of other Facebook users. Except that, in aggregate, and given enough data, that’s exactly what it does."
Ever liked a film on Facebook? You?ve given the security services a key to your soul | Andrew Brown | Comment is free | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/13/facebook-likes-security-services-psychological-profile-facebook-research)

"The results showed that a computer could more accurately predict the subject's personality than a work colleague by analyzing just 10 likes; more than a friend or a roommate with 70; a family member with 150; and a spouse with 300 likes."
New Stanford research finds computers are better judges of personality (http://news.stanford.edu/news/2015/january/personality-computer-knows-011215.html)

I have an alias-account (the usual: all my friends... etc) and I liked a cute pic of an owl once. Now it's mainly owl pics I see there.
Should I worry?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVr3JACDTcO4hPEUBGqnFOCh0xCD9b0hxR7_X6jII oz7a9_duyBg

Lonewolf_50
13th Jan 2015, 18:57
I have an alias-account (the usual: all my friends... etc) and I liked a cute pic of an owl once. Now it's mainly owl pics I see there. Should I worry?
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVr3JACDTcO4hPEUBGqnFOCh0xCD9b0hxR7_X6jII oz7a9_duyBg
Who watches the Watchmen?
(Ref is to Alan Moore's graphic novel)

SpringHeeledJack
13th Jan 2015, 19:13
It has been postulated in the last years by many of the conspiracy crowd that such social media platforms were in fact machiavellian tools by those bent on control of the masses to influence and surveil the users. As to whether this has any merit I know not, but if you put enough of your thoughts/musings onto a forum, then there's enough to delve into your psychology and make a prescient summation.

A friend is a lurker on FB and skirts in and out of his somewhat vast social circle, keeping up with the goings on without posting anything of his own. Voyeurism 2015 style :suspect:

SHJ

Capetonian
13th Jan 2015, 19:29
So glad I don't have a Faecesbook account. I can neither see nor be seen, and am thus invisible to 99.99% of the people who don't matter to me, nor I to them.

rgbrock1
13th Jan 2015, 19:46
Oh but Capetonian, you are very visible to all of us here on PPRuNe!!! :ok:

OFSO
13th Jan 2015, 20:16
What is Facebook ?

ehwatezedoing
13th Jan 2015, 23:22
What is Facebook ?
What is your age ? :p

Krystal n chips
14th Jan 2015, 07:02
So glad I don't have a Faecesbook account. I can neither see nor be seen, and am thus invisible to 99.99% of the people who don't matter to me, nor I to them

Indeed!.....a wise choice given it would be superfluous really.

After all, your modesty has informed the world about your Nationality, UK location, occupation, various bank accounts, car registrations in S.A.. culinary habits, wine consumption and logistics supplier, travel plans and, not forgetting the icing on the cake as it were.....your UKIP serial number !.

Totally anonymous therefore........alas.

cattletruck
14th Jan 2015, 11:02
Reminds me of a cartoon by Oslo I think.

A preacher and a funeral director are about to hold a funeral service with no attendees when the preacher turns to the funeral director and says "I don't understand, he had 1000 friends on facebook".

The key to keeping your soul is to not use facebook.