PDA

View Full Version : Kai Tak closed. Yes, again... And for good this time.

McHover
12th Jan 2015, 09:12
On December 31st 2014, and without warning, the Civil Aviation Department (CAD) issued a directive to cease single engine helicopter operations from the Hong Kong Aviation Club at Kai Tak. The HKAC has been flying from there since 1929, outdating the Kai Tak airport, but sadly the government's indefinite suspension took effect today marking an end to 86 years of general aviation at that location.

Worse still, there is no sign of any alternative sites being offered to the club, leaving members with the restricted operations environment of Shek Kong as the only alternative. The redevelopment of the Kai Tak cruise terminal and surrounds has been in process since 2007 and the Club's officers have lobbied hard for another home, but their appeals have only found deaf ears.

It looks like Hong Kong Government sanctioned property developers have yet again been able to write the rules to suit themselves, and an important leisure, training, professional, and recreational body, its members and friends have been marginalised.

Threethirty
12th Jan 2015, 10:19
That's what you get living in a plutocratic hell hole.

wheels up
13th Jan 2015, 03:32
ditto for the marina development at Kai Tak.

Probably the thing that appalls me more than anything about this city is the way the powers that be put the opportunity to make another quick buck over creating a better living environment for the people they claim to represent. The Kowloon Cultural District is another wasted opportunity.

Hong Kong has got to be one of the unliveable major cities in the world, especially for the masses, who are condemned to a life of wandering aimlessly around yet another shopping mall before heading back to their little hell hole boxes. What other major city in the world doesn't have a single decent park? (apart from the national parks)

Sad really, it had such potential.

White None
13th Jan 2015, 03:40
I agree with much/most said above but for those unaware of the great outdoors in Hing Kong, do a little digging.

wheels up
13th Jan 2015, 04:10
Plenty of great hiking trails, I agree (those that haven't been blighted by concrete steps and steel railings) - but you can't throw a frisbee, hold a concert, or kick a football around there after work, and if you could there would be cannot signs everywhere anyway. There's no Central Park, Hyde Park, Tokyo or Stanley Park.

Kai Tak would have made a great park, open air venue and marine sports centre, but hey, no money in that now is there.. cue another shopping mall, MTR station or appalling government housing block.

bigjames
13th Jan 2015, 04:17
There should be plenty of space on the old Kai Tak runway for well planned Heli ops. In fact, there is a good 200 meters of old runway still there, well clear of the cruise terminal. have a look at it on Google Earth...

ReverseFlight
13th Jan 2015, 09:00
They should have kept Kai Tak open and allocate all private jet ops to that location. Plenty of parking to let HK airport authority and the government earn tons of revenue for many years to come. Better, cheaper and much quicker solution to relieve congestion at CLK than the proposed third runway. Missed that opportunity, sadly for HK.

Basil
13th Jan 2015, 10:55
Midnight bulldozing of Meigs Field, anyone?

CISTRS
13th Jan 2015, 11:14
They should have kept Kai Tak open and allocate all private jet ops to that locationBut that's not in the interests of the gangsters who run this city.
Closing Kai Tak gives redevelopment opportunities. Jobs for the construction sharks / MTR moguls.
Same deal for the Third Runway.
Haven't you noticed that we have massive civil engineering projects connecting CLK to Macau - Zhuhai, then northwards to Tuen Mun, and then on to the Shenzhen Bay Crossing.
Logically the Shenzhen Runways and SZ's extensive Mainland services to second tier cities should be integrated with HKIA. Win-Win for both.

dodger_16
14th Jan 2015, 15:03
Did the safety record came under scrutiny?

con-pilot
14th Jan 2015, 18:44
Midnight bulldozing of Meigs Field, anyone?

No kidding, what a travesty that was and dictatorial by a corrupt local government.

HotDog
15th Jan 2015, 00:49
What is happening to the bar and restaurant?

bigjames
16th Jan 2015, 07:14
Dan Buster, i think reality bit momentary enthusiasm in the rear end. would be absolutely spectacular though for HK to wake up one morning with crisp red and white squares again though...

while a paint job might take too long, a giant tarp hung on the checkerboard may just do the trick! :cool::ok:

Captain Dart
16th Jan 2015, 21:40
The locals couldn't care less. About the only thing that would get their attention would be a giant Hello Kitty or Snoopy.

Pucka
17th Jan 2015, 02:14
Not sure the average local on the top deck of the 92 gives a fig for the R22/44 that the untouchable elite get to play with..let alone the club. As for history, most care little and have no idea about historical relevance..as sad as it is...

bigjames
18th Jan 2015, 09:21
I think classifying club members as "elite untouchables" is a bit off the mark. I would wager that most flying members pay less per month than the average golf enthusiast, of which there are many. not to mention the legions of people from different strata of society who benefit from flight experiences every week.
for sure flying is not the cheapest pursuit but it is far from elitist.

dodger_16
18th Jan 2015, 20:30
elite untouchables is about spot-on in that organization. but was safety a factor?

India Four Two
1st Feb 2015, 02:16
I was looking at the list of CAD AICs and on a whim read AIC 34/14.

Single-engined helicopter ops are banned, but does this mean I can still pitch up there in a twin?

Presumably I would be "super-elite untouchable"! ;)

Flying Mechanic
3rd Feb 2015, 13:08
Twins are still allowed. But the amount of cranes appearing around the perimeter fence, their days are numbered.