PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon

The mother alligator
3rd Jun 2002, 23:35
I was just wondering, while revising for my OASC selection, when is the Typhoon entering service, is it later this year? I mean hasn't IPA 3 just made it's maden flight, which is the first British aircraft? Or am I just getting confused? :confused: I'm going for the latter. Also, is the A-400 project now definitely going ahead after Germany's decision to retain it's order of the aircraft? Anyway, Gotta get some shut eye,

The Mother Alligator.

P.S. Cheers to all the guys at 55 flight RAFC Cranwell for my work experience last year, belated, but important. Thanks again.

MR WIBBLE
4th Jun 2002, 00:13
While we're on Typhoon topic, does anyone know if it will be flying at RIAT 2002 this year?

ORAC
4th Jun 2002, 14:04
Janes Dfence Weekly:

UK announces Eurofighter delay
CRAIG HOYLE JDW Aviation Editor
London

The UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) on 23 May announced a further delay in the entry into service of the Royal Air Force's (RAF's) Eurofighter strike aircraft which is now to take place "by the end of this year", according to Minister for Defence Procurement Lord Bach.

Originally expected to enter service in June 2002, the Eurofighter was to conduct its first 18 months of operations at BAE Systems' Warton manufacturing facility in Lancashire. An MoD spokesperson, however, told Jane's Defence Weekly that the ministry is "considering a range of measures to mitigate any knock-on effect" in achieving the type's planned operational employment date (OED) "in the second half of the decade". These include the "compression of the operational test and evaluation and initial training programme" at Warton, said the official.

BAE Systems officials confirmed on 24 May that the training programme is to be reduced from 18 to 16 months under the revised plan, adding that this will enable operational conversion unit pilots to meet the RAF's specified OED.............

========================
Portugal urged to speed A400M review
J A C LEWIS JDW Correspondent
Paris

France has voiced impatience over a decision by Portugal's new centre-right government to take a critical look at Lisbon's role in the A400M military transport aircraft project.

Portuguese Defence Minister Paulo Portas earlier this month informed his counterparts in the seven other European A400M partner countries that the new administration in Lisbon wanted to look at the former government's decision to buy three of the airlifters.

A French Ministry of Defence spokesman in Paris said Portugal's wish to review its participation in A400M was "legitimate" but that the assessment "should be as short as possible" in order to allow the programme to proceed. Paris hopes the study will lead to "confirmation of Portugal's commitment to A400M", said the official.

Portugal's re-assessment of its participation will further delay finalisation of the contract to procure 196 A400Ms, which are to be built by Airbus Military SAS. Portugal and Spain were the only partner nations yet to sign a side letter to the A400M contract concerning Germany's funding of the aircraft, although Spain is thought to have penned the clause, leaving Portugal the last to sign.

As Lisbon is due to procure only three of the aircraft, a Portuguese withdrawal would not jeopardise the airlifter project, as the total procured by the other partners is generally considered sufficient to make A400M commercially viable. However, it would cast a shadow over a programme already marked by Italy's withdrawal and long uncertainty over the availability of German funding.