PDA

View Full Version : 48 Hours of futile attempts to transfer dollars.

Loose rivets
10th Jan 2015, 16:54
There's a bank rant running right now, but how about an exchage company rant? Nothing, in 35 years of shoving money to and fro' have I experienced anything like this.

I'm no major player, but I though it a good idea to transfer my house money across the Atlantic because of the favorable exchange rate. Sheeeesh! I've obviously descended into the twilight zone. One of the biggest names, starting with an X and only having one other letter seemed the way to go. Nice lady with a Canadian accent gave me a pre talk on what to do. Fine. That's easy.

I filled in the screen based on being an American resident, but made it clear I was living in the UK for a while. The first email demanded to know everything about my visit and the DAY I was heading back. I decided to call them. Oh, my.:ugh:

Hours on the phone over three days was like one of those fairy tales that keep introducing more and more tasks. "HURRY UP, OR I'LL MISS THE RATE!!"

Time and time again a new person wanted more information. "I DON'T CARRY MY WATER BILLS TO THE UK WHEN I VISIT!!!!" But the problems was, I was talking on one of the worst lines I've ever experienced. Time and again I told them they were unreadable, but the Philipino person simply would not take the cotton wool balls out of his mouth, or take his head of of the galvanized bucket it was so obviously in.
"Your a big company, surely you've got a phone line that works?" They called me.

"THAT'S WORSE, AND NOW I'M HAVING TO HOLD A PHONE TO MY EAR!!!" (I usually talk hands free on a Skype deal. ) "I TALK WORLD-WIDE TO PEOPLE AND IT'S LIKE THEY'RE IN THE ROOM WITH ME!!!!"

"bobbbul spufffffle bobut ffshie aabubbbmmmmm."

What? repeat that.

"bobbbul spufffffle bobut ffshie aabubbbmmmmm."

Yep, thought you said that.

Finally I gather I have to go into my American bank and get them to sign a letter.

"YOU LITTLE PIECE OF SUB-INTELLECTUAL EXCREMENT, WHAT IS IT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ABOUT ME BEING IN THE UK?" I thought. And yes, I did manage not to say it.

They'd had it in writing three times and been told, oh, and infinite number of times but it made no difference. I think flying to America would have been less stressful.

Two days, and I get Dan. Fine. Just confirm the UK address with a bill and that will do it. Call him when I've e'd it. I take out my camera and photograph all the stuff I'd normally do with a scanner. Sent. Call Dan on a number he gave me. Ooooooooooo FCUK!!!!! Now nearing loss of control. A girl answers and will not get Dan. "What was your first car? What did you have for breakfast Christmas day in 1948. I just managed to understand the words uttered by the girl who's head was clearly in a hessian sack soaked in porridge. "We will email you when it's done."

I get an email this morning. "We think it's better you start again and be in England."

Now, the thing is, would you trust your money to a company that presents itself like this? I assume not. So, I know we've discussed this before, but how would you get your dollars back to the UK?

k3k3
10th Jan 2015, 17:12
I use CurrencyFair.com to move money from my German Euro account to my Barclays Sterling account, no problems so far.

I was sceptical at first, only transferring a couple of hundred at a time, but last time I moved £30,000. A friend used them to move £400,000 in instalments.

con-pilot
10th Jan 2015, 19:18
but how would you get your dollars back to the UK?

Oh easy, send it to me and I'll send it on.

Minus a small handling fee of course, say 99%. :\

Okay, okay, I'll go quietly. :(

However, I assume the sum you are talking about would be too much to use an ATM withdrawing the maximum amount daily until all funds are transferred or in the wrong sort of account to use an ATM for the transfer?

eastern wiseguy
10th Jan 2015, 21:00
I use a company called Transferwise. Quick efficient and a good rate. Very cheap in terms of additional fees. Do a quick giggle search or just add the dot com at the end.

Worth a look .

racedo
10th Jan 2015, 22:31
I use a company called Transferwise. Quick efficient and a good rate. Very cheap in terms of additional fees. Do a quick giggle search or just add the dot com at the end.

Been using for last couple of months and don't use anybody else.

Guys who involved in it were involved in Skype.

Loose rivets
11th Jan 2015, 00:32
Oh good, that means at least I'd be able to hear the buggahas. ;)

One had photo'd the likeness of me into a file and am preparing to send it to anyone that will give me half a crown for me house. Well, half me house, the Rivetess has the other half. Bless her, she's already given most of her money to the kids . . . again.

That's the trouble with someone like me marrying an angel.

Loose rivets
11th Jan 2015, 00:49
Have responded to an email, but the PMs won't show anything but the poster's profile despite still showing Your Notifications 1.

One thing the new company said was, various states now require you to be in the country when forwarding money. :ugh: It seems Texas is one, and for the currency companies, it takes a lot of work and expense to be qualified to overcome this - and each state has different rules. When will America become the united, United States?

con-pilot
11th Jan 2015, 06:16
When will America become the united, United States?

Hopefully never, because then we'd go back to being the United Kingdom instead of the United States.

Sorry, that is just the way it is.

State’s Rights you know.

ExSp33db1rd
11th Jan 2015, 06:36
Loose Rivets.

My deepest sympathy, I know exactly how you feel. Mrs. ExS being a USA Citizen married to a Brit. and living in New Zealand - shall I go on ?

World's Gone Mad.

Her first encounter with this gambit concerned her USA Social Security, couldn't get anyone to give an area code and phone number, a common experience - "just ring 1800 etc. etc." Can't do that, we are out of the country, 1800 doesn't work. (not entirely true these days, but not straightforward either, it is easier, and usually cheaper to use a regular area code and normal number with a cheap carrier) "Oh ! well, just pop into the office" Can't do that,we are out of the country. "Oh! well, just ring 1800 xxxx xxxx" It goes on and on.

Eventually she found a number to ring Washington, "Can't talk to you, must call your South Pacific Area Office" No, the question is about my domestic USA address. Eventually said OK, where is my South Pacific Office, and what is the number? Manilla, but you can get through on 1800 xxxx xxxx It goes on and on.

Eventually she got through to Manilla, to talk to a Spanish speaking clerk about domestic US matters whilst living in New Zealand.

One could weep.

Don't even talk about dealing with the US IRS.

Actually, surprisingly, we have recently found moving money from UK to USA and/or NZ surprisingly easy, all done Online now with no reference to any human, takes less than 2 days. The Online transaction locks in the rate, and then I have about 24 hrs. to complete the deal, the money is then at destination the next day. Someone called Forex NZ, which is mixed up with Forex Aus and Forex UK. Regret can't explain, I just punch in passwords and account numbers now.

Unless you remain for Life in your Country of birth, and work 9 to 5 Mon. to Fri. and take 2 weeks holiday in Blackpool ( UK residents ) or Miami Beach ( USA residents) in July - NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ( or cares )

OFSO
11th Jan 2015, 09:22
Really aren't many problems of this nature inside Europe. It took us some time to realise many institutions won't answer a SKYPE-to-landline call, but changing SKYPE to show our UK mobile number fixed that. In fact one thing I would recommend is using a mobile phone from your country of origin to call your country of origin. Then they don't realise you are calling from outside your COO and don't get all silly and confused.

Capetonian
11th Jan 2015, 10:28
I too have been the victim of this type of blinkered thinking over the years.

In these days, being born in country A, having lived in countries B, C ,D ...... etc, having multiple passports, addresses and phone numbers in several countries, passwords, pin numbers .......... is nothing unusual. Some basics, mother's maiden name, first school, etc, used as the 'security' questions, never change, but it is easy to get hazy over others.

A couple of weeks ago, I rang a building society on the IoM using my ZA phone, so they would have seen my +27 number on the caller ID. I didn't have any documentation from them with me and the account was one I'd opened 20 years ago and never used, although I'd updated the information they held on me, at their request, a couple of times.

After I'd given my name and account number the conversation went something like this :

"For security could you please give me the first line of your address?"
"Do you have an address in the UK on record for me or one in another country? As I have have addresses in three countries I'm not sure which one you hold."
"I can't tell you that."
"OK, is it xxxxxxxxxx (address in UK)?"
"No, that's wrong. I can't continue this conversation."
"OK, is it xxxxxxxxxxx (another address in UK)?"
"Yes, it is but as you've given me a previous wrong answer I can't continue the conversation." (Spot the inconsistency!)
After I'd spoken to a manager and told her that I strongly objected to being spoken to as if I were a naughty schoolboy, I was 'given another chance' and asked for my phone number. I gave them my UK cell number and she said : "That's the number we have on file but that's not the number you're calling from now so it's not acceptable."
I asked her in my most sarcastic way if she'd ever left the Isle of Man and she said she couldn't answer that question and didn't understand why it's relevant. I asked her if she had ever heard of travel, people travelling, living in one country and being on holiday in another, perhaps having homes in more than one country ..............

I then had to send them a certified copy of my passport as the one they held on record had expired last year, as they do, and I had not sent them a copy of the new one. So I sent one and that elicited the following letter :

"Dear Mr. CPT
We are returning the copy of the passport you sent us for verification purposes as it was not posted from the country in which you claim to reside .................. "

After a short and sharp conversation with a director of the institution, my money was transferred across to another bank account, with no penalties for early withdrawal (35 day notice account) and a 16 year old bottled apology from the Isle of Islay which arrived last week and is in the drinks cabinet waiting to be enjoyed!

This is possibly one of the worst (best?) examples of the utter stupidity of people who work in finance institutions, but not by a long way the only one I could relate.

ExSp33db1rd
11th Jan 2015, 21:12
....... and we often get Online purchases refused because - for instance - buying from the USA and paying with a US credit/debit card in US dollars of course, to bypass exchange rate rip-offs, the overseas delivery address is not the same as the card billing address.:ugh:

....... if she'd ever left the Isle of Man....... not entirely relevant of course, but I recall that when still living in Dorset a woman in her early 20's got married, and the newspaper report mentioned that her wedding night was the first time she had EVER travelled away from the VILLAGE in which she was born, especially the first night that she had ever slept away from her own bed.

Keef
11th Jan 2015, 21:18
Sigh. Yes, the credit card system is designed for the simple ordinary sort of transaction. Anything a tad unusual requires a proper bank etc. There don't seem to be many of those left these days.

I know what you mean about the "same village". M and I had a delightful holiday in the Scottish islands once. Stayed with a delightful, lively, fun old lady with an unadvertised B&B (recommendation needed to find out it even existed). We sat up into the wee small hours chatting with her.
She said she'd never been off the island in all her 80-odd years. Didn't see the need to, etc.

airship
11th Jan 2015, 21:55
I was trying to come to terms with the mundane task of transferring a fistful of dollars in 48 hours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvzIRuIg288

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbvMgLDVUd4

Please excuse any amalgam, mi amigoes... :ok:

PS. The mule say: my name ain't Charlie... :uhoh:

Loose rivets
12th Jan 2015, 02:01
One of our fraternity e'd me via the PPRuNe system and mentioned a company I'd contacted some time ago. I called them and got the same nice young chap who remembered me in a moment. Very reassuring.

If all goes well re the 'being there' issue and the dollar rate doesn't swing the other way, I'll report on the progress.