PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing tones

SpringHeeledJack
9th Jan 2015, 11:55
A problem. My tones seem to have disappeared, that is the tones when the trash is emptied, alert tones etc. Normal function of the speakers, normal tone when putting volume up or down etc. I've not fiddled with any settings. Ideas ?

SHJ

Null Orifice
9th Jan 2015, 18:58
Have you (or your PC, if set to install updates automatically) recently installed any Windows Updates?
(Assuming its a Microsoft operating system).

Sometimes, these updates tend to kill the 'system sounds' settings - on one occasion my sound card was disabled without me going anywhere near the control panel settings. I have frequently lost my Recycle and Incoming Mail Notifications without messing around either!

I suggest that you look in Control Panel - Sound, then open the Sounds tab and look through the assigned sounds under Program Events (Win 8 or 8.1) or similar in other versions. Reset the desired sound effect, test it using the 'Test' button then and save and exit.

SpringHeeledJack
9th Jan 2015, 20:45
It's an Apple mac based issue, volume ok, sound ok, except all warning/alert tones are non functioning. Examples are when you empty the trash, or when the battery is too low. I haven't touched any settings knowingly and whilst checking the systems preferences all seems to be as before.

SHJ

mixture
9th Jan 2015, 22:38
Have you tried unticking and reticking "play user interface sound effects"

jimjim1
10th Jan 2015, 04:29
Windows has a "mixer" that allows the level of various sound sources to be independently adjusted. Downstream of this is the master volume control.

Perhaps the Mac has something similar? It would be surprising if it didn't.

However of course, The Godly One may have felt that such intimate adjustments of His Computer by mere purchasers was contrary to the tenets of His Religion;-)

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy118/jimjim146/mixer.png~original

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/jimjim146/media/mixer.png.html

SpringHeeledJack
10th Jan 2015, 16:58
Have you tried unticking and reticking "play user interface sound effects"

I tried this and it didn't do anything….but then I did it including a restart and bingo, normal service resumed. I'm none the wiser how that happened in the first place, but as with most things Apple a restart makes the world turn again :) Thanks for all suggestions.

SHJ