PDA

View Full Version : Pilot request deviation

Kiltrash
8th Jan 2015, 17:39
Wont post the actual event, to protect the innocent, but assuming a Pilot files a flight plan and en route ATC request the pilot to change alt, heading or speed I take it if the PIC is happy to comply they will

However if a Aircraft requests a change en route, not weather, fuel or system but a opportunity for a bit of 'sightseeing' for the passengers, does the Pilot have to justify to ATC?, or just get ATC agreement?

On a receint flight the Pilot came on the tannoy and highlighted to the passengers a particular landmark and then appeared to do a 180 so the landmark then passed the other side of the aircraft then another 180 back on course. We landed early.

Would the Pilot be carpeted for excess fuel use?

Would love to thank the crew but dont want to get them in trouble

When I got home checked FR24 and my flight track did make a course change that supported the actions of the aircraft and the tannoy. and my flight number in the days before did not get within 50 miles of this landmark

Was not a busy airspace and no other a/c within close proximity with clear daylight conditions

finncapt
8th Jan 2015, 18:37
I suppose it depends on who you work for and probably now, with the advent of everything being aired on social media, what you feel you can get away with.

I have flown Calgary to Vancouver at 18000 feet to give the passengers a "stunning view of the rockies" , let down to 3000 ft overhead Edinburgh en route Aberdeen, beaten up various airfields, etc., all in large passenger aircraft with a well known British Airline.

Nobody ever complained.

Would I do it if I were flying now?

Probably not, as there would probably be someone on board who would tell a Daily Mewspaper all about it and how it ruined their honeymoon!!

I think flying is sadder for that.

Glad I'm retired!!

DaveReidUK
8th Jan 2015, 18:38
Wont post the actual event, to protect the innocent

Hard to comment, in that case.

Tarq57
8th Jan 2015, 19:37
From an ATC viewpoint, normally there would be no restriction if other air traffic wasn't a factor, or danger/restricted (etc) areas, and the pilot was prepared to maintain his own terrain clearance visually - which would normally be the case in a sightseeing diversion.

These days, such requests hardly ever happen in the world of airline flying, in my experience. The airlines themselves are quite keen that flight crews do not use more fuel than the flight requires. On-board monitoring on a lot of aircraft will ensure that the airline operations people will see if something unusual is occurring.

gooneydog
8th Jan 2015, 21:45
Reminds me of a perfect Sat eve on the 'budgie ' Aberdeen to GLA when we never got much above 600 ft following the valleys..Ended up over Loch Fyne doing a 'dambuster run' before calling GLA. ATC somewhere over Dunoon

FlightDetent
8th Jan 2015, 22:59
ATC is there to separate traffic, and they will. All else is at your discretion or peril (beancouters, FDM, et al).

TimGriff6
9th Jan 2015, 20:47
It depends what the landmark is. I remember being with the family of the crew of G-APFE after they took a detour for some sightseeing - very sad and I won't ever forget it. Please fly the route on commercial flights.