PDA

View Full Version : Vale Dr. Rex Clifton Senior R. A. A. F. A

Desert Flower
8th Jan 2015, 08:09
Rex passed away on the 5th of this month - only just found out. Funeral date to be advised.

DF.

gerry111
8th Jan 2015, 08:14
Dr Rex Clifton was a member of the RAAF Association, DF?

chimbu warrior
8th Jan 2015, 08:31
Dr Rex Senior. Former proprietor of Commodore Aviation (Port Lincoln).

A real gentleman.

RIP.

Desert Flower
8th Jan 2015, 12:04
Dr Rex Clifton was a member of the RAAF Association, DF?

Clifton was his second name - not his surname.

DF.

gerry111
8th Jan 2015, 13:04
Vale Dr Rex Clifton Senior.

(my apologies for my confusion. No offence was meant.)

onetrack
9th Jan 2015, 00:58
I'm saddened to hear this news, but not really unexpected, due to Rex Seniors advanced age (95).

This man commands respect and recognition as one of our few remaining WW2 aviation heroes that has now gone.

Rex was the sole remaining living member of the Catalina "Double Sunrise" Qantas flights during WW2 - the non-stop flights from Perth to Ceylon (Sri Lanka) that were the longest non-stop flights carried out in the world at that time.

Rex actually worked mostly as a navigator on the Qantas Catalinas, although he was also qualified to fly them.

This man led an outstanding life, first as CO of 97 Reserve Sqdn - then as navigator and sometimes pilot on the Qantas Catalinas - then in civilian life after WW2, as a doctor of some renown.
I salute you, Sir - you belonged to a generation that the world needs again.

Rex Seniors early RAAF years (http://www.flyersoftime.com/documents/Senior%20Nhill.pdf)

I think I have a .PDF copy of Rex's memoirs buried somewhere in a back-up computer, of his time on the Catalinas. To say it's interesting is an understatement.
I "purloined" it off the 'net, and it disappeared from free viewing after a short time. I presume it was because he probably wanted to convert it to a saleable book form.

Desert Flower
9th Jan 2015, 03:48
I think I have a .PDF copy of Rex's memoirs buried somewhere in a back-up computer, of his time on the Catalinas. To say it's interesting is an understatement.

Wow - that would definitely be a good read!

DF.

Desert Flower
9th Jan 2015, 07:30
(my apologies for my confusion. No offence was meant.)

None taken. I guess it was a bit confusing for those who didn't know of him.

DF.

Desert Flower
9th Jan 2015, 20:38
The FAMILY and FRIENDS of the late Dr. REX CLIFTON SENIOR are invited to attend his funeral service to be held in the St. Jude's Anglican Church, The Strand, Port Elliot on WEDNESDAY, January 14, 2015 at 2.00p.m.

In lieu of flowers, a donation to St. Jude's Anglican Church, Port Elliot would be appreciated.

DF.

Rex Senior daughter
29th Jul 2015, 04:10
Thank you so much for your wonderful thoughts on my dad, Rex Senior. He was a wonderful dad and an incredible man. I stumbled on this website today and I am so grateful for your acknowledgement of dad and all he achieved.

He led an outstanding life - and he loved and made the most of every moment.