PDA

View Full Version : Humanity...how much further?

BlankBox
8th Jan 2015, 01:51
Thieves fry Kenya's power grid for fast food - Features - Al Jazeera English (http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2014/12/thieves-fry-kenya-power-grid-fast-food-2014122884728785480.html)

...what next....I fear the clock is ticking ever faster...:(

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Jan 2015, 10:44
It's all Britain's fault, as the former colonial power.

tony draper
8th Jan 2015, 11:18
A large group of our species seems to be standing at the base of the trees gazing upwards with a look of nostalgia on their faces.
:uhoh:

Sallyann1234
8th Jan 2015, 11:42
Do they STILL have transformers with PCB's? I thought that had been banned worldwide years ago.
But even plain mineral oil will be highly toxic when used to fry food. No wonder the users are reporting sick.

trident3A
8th Jan 2015, 14:10
There seems to be a battle between civilization and barbarism going on at the moment!

fleigle
8th Jan 2015, 15:13
Eyup,I'm eating my corn flakes here...:eek::eek::eek::eek:
f

rgbrock1
8th Jan 2015, 15:17
Crunchy corn flakes too. :}:E

Lonewolf_50
8th Jan 2015, 16:45
Kenya Power, the firm that distributes power in Kenya, is now thinking about building transformers that don't use oil. Such transformers are not widely used and cost about half as much as ones that do use oil. Perhaps this is the way forward ...

Sallyann1234
8th Jan 2015, 16:51
I'd be interested to know what design that is. The use of oil cooling for large power transformers is universal.
If someone in Kenya has found a new method at half the cost, they are about to make a very large fortune.

rgbrock1
8th Jan 2015, 17:03
Sallyann:

There are basically two types of electrical transformers: dry-type transformers and oil immersed. The dry-type do not require oil for cooling purposes but rely on convection or forced air for cooling. However, these types of transformers are usually not greater in output than 3MVA. There are also air-blast dry-type which can output up to 15 MVA and are cooled by the use of fans or blowers and no oil. These are the type the Kenyans probably have in mind.

Sallyann1234
8th Jan 2015, 17:18
Yes I'm aware of the aircooled types, but as you say they are of limited application. And more to the point they are nothing new.
If all the oil cooled transformers could be replaced at 'half the cost' they would not have been fitted in the first place.

Lonewolf_50
8th Jan 2015, 19:49
sallyann, it is possible that the journalist in question got a few technical points wrong. :}

pigboat
8th Jan 2015, 21:02
If someone in Kenya has found a new method at half the cost, they are about to make a very large fortune.
I expect an email from Nigeria anytime now offering me a cut of the profits if only I'll put a few bucks up front.

Sallyann1234
8th Jan 2015, 21:25
You're too late Pigboat.

I've already sent my investment by Western Union.

pigboat
8th Jan 2015, 22:32
Dang! Late again. ;)

TURIN
8th Jan 2015, 22:51
Is cooking oil really that expensive?
Would it be prudent to ensure a ready and cheap supply? Got to be less expensive than re-building the grid every other day.

onetrack
8th Jan 2015, 23:27
The simple solution to the problem is to add some potent rat poison to the transformer oil.
After a few hundred thousand Nigerians have died from poisoned transformer oil, our scam emails will be down to bugger all, and the transformer theft/damage problem will have ceased.
I don't understand why no-one has seen this simple answer to the Nigerian problem. :E

unstable load
9th Jan 2015, 15:45
Drapes and trident3A, Got it in one!:ok:

Mechta
9th Jan 2015, 16:12
A large group of our species seems to be standing at the base of the trees gazing upwards with a look of nostalgia on their faces.
:uhoh:

...and wishing they hadn't left their brains up there.

Lonewolf_50
9th Jan 2015, 19:24
The simple solution to the problem is to add some potent rat poison to the transformer oil.
After a few hundred thousand Nigerians have died from poisoned transformer oil, our scam emails will be down to bugger all, and the transformer theft/damage problem will have ceased.
I don't understand why no-one has seen this simple answer to the Nigerian problem. :E Since the news report is from Kenya, what's all this about poisoning a few hundred thousand Nigerians? :confused:

unstable load
11th Jan 2015, 06:03
...and wishing they hadn't left their brains up there.
Dunning-Kruger effect says you are wrong, Sir....

Mr Optimistic
11th Jan 2015, 09:23
Microplastics entering the food chain may solve all our problems if they cause sterility:}

onetrack
11th Jan 2015, 11:46
Since the news report is from Kenya, what's all this about poisoning a few hundred thousand Nigerians?Whoops, my identification error. Sorry, Mr Lonewolf. It's getting harder and harder to tell the difference between the good guys and the bad guys, in todays world. :)