PDA

View Full Version : Getting first instructing gig

taxistaxing
7th Jan 2015, 14:53
All,

Very keen to hear hints/tips on this. I'm considering doing my CPL and then FI rating this summer and hopefully commencing work as an FI thereafter. Ideally I'd like to work in the London area but will relocate if necessary.

I presume the most obvious route to a job is impressing on the FI course and being taken on by the school you trained at.

My concern is, knowing how the flight training industry works, is there some risk that a school will tell you what you want to hear only to find no job forthcoming once you've coughed up your £8k!

Any thoughts/views from current FIs would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

T.

portsharbourflyer
7th Jan 2015, 15:39
Well the London area is in one sense of the most difficult areas to find instructing work, while the schools in the London vicinity may benefit from the financial affluence of the area, it doesn't seem to transpire into a demand for instructors.

Well the way I have always found instructors work was by driving around all the nearby schools (and not so near) and handing CVs in in person.

This method got me my first part time position and my most recent.

If you want to do an FI course, I wouldn't rely on being taken on by the School you trained at, it does happen but not always.

There did seem to be a bit of a demand for instructors in Scotland in recent months.

Pull what
7th Jan 2015, 15:57
I know of one or two schools school who tell FI candidates that there is a chance of a job with them. There can only be a job if there is a vacancy so beware and even then you may not even get the job. Do your homework before you start the course

Broadlands
7th Jan 2015, 19:09
Pull what is correct.
Many schools say there is a chance if and when a vacancy occurs, but bear in mind there always has been an abundance of restricted FIs. A restricted FI needs supervision and it can take time to gain the experience which can place additional pressures on a school trying to sell flight training as a product.

I don't want to put you off instructing, something I enjoy, but please be sure what your motivation is. If it is for a career in flight training then that is great and it will take time. If it is to purely to build hours for an airline position I think you would be well advised to save the money spent on an FI course (and living costs if employed) and put it towards training for a type rating.

Having stated the above, I have not seen a school that deliberately misleads people.

taxistaxing
7th Jan 2015, 19:50
Thanks for the responses guys.

Broadlands, I have always wanted to instruct as I enjoy dealing with people and mentoring/teaching. I would envisage instructing full time for a couple of years. That said, I'd be lying if I said I didn't harbour ambitions to fly heavier metal. If and when that opportunity came up I'd be keen to keep instruction going on the side, though.

It's for this reason I'm considering doing the cpl/fi ticket, starting work as an instructor and deferring the MEIR/MCC for the time being.

Broadlands
8th Jan 2015, 02:40
I am sure you may know this but some schools have a very close relationship with certain airlines. If you do the FI/CPL/IR with them they may help to get you past the sifting stage.
I can think of one but I think the condition was that you needed to do the Ppl with them too.

taxistaxing
9th Jan 2015, 16:35
I am sure you may know this but some schools have a very close relationship with certain airlines. If you do the FI/CPL/IR with them they may help to get you past the sifting stage.
I can think of one but I think the condition was that you needed to do the Ppl with them too.

Yes indeed.

In terms of established reputation Stapleford seem like a good bet in the London area. A large school with an attached AOC operation and a commercial operator based at the airfield (LEA have a couple of Kingairs based there). definitely one I will be investigating.

Flying Time at Shoreham also look good. My only concern is that they are a relative newcomer whereas Stapleford has been around for yonks.