PDA

View Full Version : HKCAD License Conversion

Brenteve
6th Jan 2015, 01:30
Hello All, I interviewed in Hong Kong back in mid-September and the airline said I passed the company interview, panel, written test, simulator ride, as well as medical. They said they were awaiting my conversion of my American ATP through the HKCAD. Does anyone have any idea how long this might take?

Thanks

cxorcist
6th Jan 2015, 01:42
You have an FAA ATP and want to be a cadet SO with CX?

What's wrong with the rest of your résumé?

deadcut
6th Jan 2015, 01:52
Why are all you CX guys such dicks?

Did he say he was joining CX?
Although if he is indeed joining CX then I will take back what I said. Otherwise ...dicks.

Brenteve
6th Jan 2015, 01:52
Not CX. A F/O position for another HK airline. Presently a 91 captain in the USA and wanting to do the expat thing.

Sue Ridgepipe
6th Jan 2015, 02:01
Are you already type rated on what your new company operates? I would have thought the CAD would only issue you an HK licence once you're employed in HK and done a sim check for the aircraft rating/instrument rating.

Brenteve
6th Jan 2015, 02:04
I am not sure how the HKCAD works. I have four different type ratings in the USA but not a type in the aircraft that I would be hired into.

captncannot
6th Jan 2015, 04:49
Brenteve, have you done all the exams in Hong Kong?
Including the type technical and performance papers for your type rating?

If not then you're probably talking to someone who has no idea how to do their job. You'll get used to that a lot if you're working for the Hainan group. As far as I know you would normally expect to be in Hong Kong and on payroll before going through the conversion.

Do you have a work permit and a contract? HKCAD will expect you to hold both as far as I know. You can phone their Licensing section with questions about conversion they were very helpful when I did mine.

flyhardmo
6th Jan 2015, 05:03
Why are all you CX guys such dicks

Deadcut,

If you worked for Cx you would know the answer to that. When we joined cx we were keen, motivated individuals with a passion for aviation, life and adventure. Slowly over the yrs whist working at cx, putting up eroding T&C'S, A dwindling experience pool, lack of respect,terrible management decisions, basing fiasco's etc we have been converted into dicks. The good news is if you are a dick you will fit right in without having to go through all the yrs of the above mentioned.

swh
6th Jan 2015, 07:15
Brenteve,

The HKCAD performance pledge is 3.5 working days for processing. It would not be the CAD holding things up.

What exactly did you provide the company, and what CAD form numbers did you fill in ?

You will need to have submitted CAD forms DCA 218, DCA 605, DCA 530 and photos. Provide them with the last 6 months of your logbook, copy of your licence, passport copy, FAA licence, FAA medical, FCC Radio Licence, FAA written results.

The type rating you have in the US, are any of them on the HKG register ?

Have a look at CAD 54 online, it tell you everything about the process.

Brenteve
6th Jan 2015, 10:10
Captncannot and swh,

Thank you for your informative replies. I did fill out all the DCA papers, passport photos and logbook info, etc. A week after leaving HK, in mid-September, an interview mate of mine got a rejection letter.

I received the following email responses beginning on Oct. 3:

"Thank you for taking the time to interview with us at " " We appreciate the interest you have expressed in joining our company.

This email is to inform you that you have successfully passed the management interview, simulator assessment and technical test. We are now waiting for your medical result and license conversion terms result. Then we will seek for HR Dept and senior management’s approval for your employment. We will try to issue you the letter of offer as soon as the result comes out. PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS NOT AN OFFICAL OFFER."

Then I sent the manager of pilot recruitment an email, Oct.16th, asking him about progress on what I was lacking and within an hour he responded:

"Your medical check has been passed and we are waiting CAD for your license conversion confirmation. I will update you once I got the information for HKCAD."

I have since sent emails once a month and he and the licensing lady have responded saying they are still waiting. She even sent a new DCA607 form on Nov.20 that the CAD was requesting all applicants to fill out.

I am not exactly sure who is holding what up. Captncannot, you are right about the airline group in question.

Thanks

Milking a mouse
6th Jan 2015, 13:31
The key is "conversion terms". They are waiting on the CAD to tell them which licence they're willing to give you (CPL or ATP) and which exams you need to sit to get it. For example, I've seen colleagues with ATP's being given a CPL only and Australians having to sit human performance while Kiwi's do not. Cest last vie. The CAD usually take a month to do this but if they've misplaced part of your app 'nothing will happen forever' until they finally chastise you for not submitting form X and progress is made. Good luck.

Brenteve
6th Jan 2015, 21:27
Thanks Milking a Mouse, was wondering, because it has been 4 months now. I guess I will try to contact the CAD myself.

Meathead Pilot
7th Jan 2015, 00:46
Brenteve,

If its HK airlines that's feeding you the cr@p, then it could be because they have stopped hiring NTR A320 pilots for the time being. A good friend of mine who interviewed in August was in a similar situation.:ugh:

Brenteve
7th Jan 2015, 01:48
Thanks Meathead, I think I will continue until no correspondence. For now I am getting replies to my emails.

White None
7th Jan 2015, 09:10
@Flyhardmo we have been converted into dicks.

If ever a comment required a SPEAK FOR YOURSELF qualifier that was it. Some of us visit Prune once in a while, comment on the job, have a bit of banter but have a life as well, some don't and SOME are Dicks.

Bazf
29th Jun 2015, 07:33
Hey

I was just wondering what is the latest update for you with this?

I am in the same situation now as I got accepted two months back but waiting still for license conversion terms....

deptrai
29th Jun 2015, 14:32
Why are all you CX guys such dicks

If you worked for Cx you would know the answer to that

Fragrant Harbour remains one of the more entertaining places on pprune, dicks or not, the self effacing dark comedy is strong here..."firm grasp of the non-essential" was one of the best threads ever, and even hijacking other people's threads about licence conversions with CX self-flagellation is quite entertaining:) I never worked for CX, and haven't even flown CX as a pax, but occasionally I bump into a heavy CX crew while checking out of a hotel along with EL Al and 2-3 other airline crews I don't remember...a chubby CX pilot smoking a cigarette 10m away from the crew van, cabin crew comfortably chatting in a sofa in the lobby, someone asking "where is the captain" (he's seated inside the van), someone worrying if all the luggage has been loaded into the back, the driver double checks, and they all seem like relaxed and likeable people, in a pretty decent hotel (nothing like the dumps occasionally described here), and I do wonder if those with a funny glint in their eyes are those responsible for the occasionally brilliant posts here...I wouldn't ask them though, as many would look at me as an idiot without a life because I waste some time on pprune...:}

pfvspnf
2nd Jul 2015, 12:19
Bazf?

Which company were accepted into ? Was it Hong Kong airlines ? Express ? Or dragon ?

I hear it could take up to three months.

Bazf
3rd Jul 2015, 10:15
Hey

It's with Hong Kong Airlines.

kwaiyai
3rd Jul 2015, 11:32
@pfvspnf You must have 6th sense, Mine was about that yes.
Heard there is delays in CAD at the moment processing this stuff.
Regard's,,

sewerpiper
15th Jul 2015, 01:55
Plan on 6 months, from date of interview to first day of class. Training, about another 4 months.

SW1
26th Sep 2015, 14:18
is that applicable to A320 rated guys as well? Still waiting on my Licence conversion terms from HKCAD.