PDA

View Full Version : Flanders and Swann

421dog
4th Jan 2015, 22:18
Having just spent the past hour in a too-cool tub too big for the water heater, "it's started running hot!..."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P2s5XqIfr08

Capetonian
4th Jan 2015, 22:28
Flanders and Swann ...... that brings back some great memories.

Odd coincidence .... our water heater has gone wrong and suddenly is putting out dangerously hot water for no apparent reason, compared to its normal 58` setting. The thermostat is electronic and apparently can not be adjusted by a normal human in the old fashioned way .......

Tomorrow, to paraphrase Flanders and Swann, the gasman will come to call, and ominously, it's a Monday morning.
zyeMFSzPgGc

421dog
4th Jan 2015, 22:48
Well, whatever physical trickery is afoot in your geyser, I'm sure it follows one of these rules:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P2s5XqIfr08

Only time I saw them was in Joburg in the '70's when I was but a wee nipper.

As I recall, I developed an illicit taste for Nederburg Stein that night.

Clare Prop
5th Jan 2015, 01:34
Now I can't get The Gnu Song out of my head! :cool:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th Jan 2015, 01:48
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

FK6BQA7dUDs

421dog
5th Jan 2015, 04:18
Am reminded of that bit in Pinafore about official edicts being unanswerable...

421dog
5th Jan 2015, 04:25
When questions of great import weigh heavily upon me I am reminded tha :

"Man's been endowed... etc"

And subsequently, I feel all better, realizing that those gifted bastards died during the Cold War and its aftermath, but that all the people in the song still hate each other, and several more have nukes....

joy ride
5th Jan 2015, 08:29
"What's for lunch?"

"Roast leg of Insurance Salesman".

Dad had their records when I was young, and "Flutter on your bottom" never ceased to cause hilarity.

Armstrong and Miller's pastiches were just fantastic, especially the one about decorating the Christmas tree and getting stabbed in "the ugliest part of your body, the bit between your....." etc..

BBC's economic expert Stephanie Flanders is Michael's daughter.

603DX
5th Jan 2015, 14:08
Oh, the nostalgia, Carruthers ... Michael Flanders and Donald Swann weren't just popular back then, they were loved by the rapt audiences in those poky little London theatres where they performed their nightly magic. I saw their shows "At the Drop of a Hat" and "At the Drop of Another Hat", and experienced the avid enthusiasm of the packed-in London theatregoers responding to the jingoistic, witty, tuneful, brilliant nonsense with great roars of joyful laughter at all those familiar numbers.

This is one of my favourite clips, not least because it features the dear old number 11 bus that I used every day to work between Chelsea and Victoria. With the added bonus of seeing the passing parade of miniskirted dolly birds as it chugged along the full length of the Kings Road, back in the middle of the "Swinging Sixties". Never used the number 95 bus route, that was foreign territory, and probably miniskirts were rarer there ... ;)

mVHbF0jAzMw

G-CPTN
5th Jan 2015, 20:19
Nostalgia - school hall late 1950s - F&S

We also had Have a Go with Wilfred Pickles (and Mabel).

joy ride
6th Jan 2015, 08:47
Jenkins: agreed, The Slow Train is beautifully crafted.

teeteringhead
6th Jan 2015, 09:48
We also had Have a Go with Wilfred Pickles (and Mabel). And today's trivia is:

Piano accompaniment on "Have a Go" was by Violet Carson, aka Ena Sharples.....

teeteringhead
6th Jan 2015, 10:33
Some, no names, will have been teetering along at the same speed as the steam trains.

On a good day!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Jan 2015, 10:47
Jenkins: agreed, The Slow Train is beautifully crafted.

But none too accurate. Some of those stations are not only still in business, but some like Chester Le Street are extremely busy places on a major main line!

603DX
6th Jan 2015, 11:07
I agree with JENKINS and joy ride about the poignant number "The Slow Train", even though the much-demonised Dr Beeching was an old boy of my school. Before he recommended eliminating all those lines and charmingly named stations in the "rationalisation" report he was commissioned to prepare, he had a brilliant career as a physicist, engineer, and industrialist. His very cleverness however led him to accept the "poisoned chalice" job that has made his name forever cursed by railway enthusiasts and country dwellers ... :uhoh:

Richard Beeching, Baron Beeching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Beeching)

RedhillPhil
6th Jan 2015, 12:35
"from Selby to Goole
from St. Earth to St. Ives"

Well, Selby to Goole went in 1964 but happily Snerth to Snives is still one of the loveliest rides on the network. Sit on the right going to Snives.

Clare Prop
6th Jan 2015, 13:54
It's been in my head for two days now..

"I'm a gnu, I'm a gnu, the gnicest work of gnature in the zoo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqgPyqyh4X4

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Jan 2015, 14:06
Bit off topic but the real axe man of rail was Earnest Marples, who recruited Beeching to do his dirty work. Marples was a motorway contractor (Marples Ridgeway), but of course that didn't influence his anti-rail stance as he'd passed his shares in the company to his wife! :rolleyes:

And anyway, much of what Beeching proposed made sense. Some of the stuff not on his list that cash-starved BR subsequently closed to save money made far less sense.

treadigraph
6th Jan 2015, 14:12
Snerth to Snives is still one of the loveliest rides on the network

Got a little West Cornwall drinkathon planned in the Spring and that particular line is a key part of the logistics - I look forward to the journey along it! :ok:

wings folded
6th Jan 2015, 14:15
Bit off topic but the real axe man of rail was Earnest Marples,
Ah, "The Importance of being Earnest", which he was in pursuing his own interests, but his name was Ernest.

MagnusP
6th Jan 2015, 14:20
Best South Coast rail journey I took was Exeter to Torquay, along the line through Dawlish. It was a mild spring afternoon, with a bit of golden haze and a very still sea. The view was like something out of a Turner painting. Apart from the Temeraire, of course.

joy ride
6th Jan 2015, 20:50
I agree that Marpleswas the problem: a huge figure in the road building lobby and keen on getting contracts for it and himself...vested interests! A lot of the studies of individual stations and lines were done at off-peak times and gave incorrect impressions of how many people used the line.

I was born and raised near Lymington, Hants, and have just got back from visiting my ailing Dad. Lyimingto was scheduled for closure but huge pressure from the town, the Isle of Wight and the ferry company just saved the branch line in the nick of time. The town has prospered ever since.

Not far away Swanage was not so lucky, its line was closed and it has been in the doldrums ever since. Fortunately it was re-started as a Preserved steam railway.

A couple of years ago the preserved Swanage Railway got government backing to re-connect it to the main line in order to bring jobs and prosperity to the town and surrounding area. Ironically it was the same Party who ordered its closure, how ironic!

Fishtailed
6th Jan 2015, 23:51
'Jingoistic' surely not, just taking the p*** This is their best, with an intro I havn't heard before, (it wasn't on my 45EP)

A Song of Patriotic Predjudice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdY1Y5XNJBY