PDA

View Full Version : Fokker 50 shuts down HKJK runway

echok
4th Jan 2015, 09:20
A Fokker 50 travelling from HWJK (Wajir) to HKJK (JKIA Nairobi) has closed down the only runway at the airport after it made a belly landing. The aircraft's landing gear seem to have jammed and the plane was evacuated upon landing with 6 people on board. No casualties were seen. Emergency services at the airport sprayed runway 06 with foam to prevent a fire.
All flights into the airport have been diverted to HKMO (Moi International Airport, Mombasa with no word from the Airport Authority on when the runway will be reopened.

IMAGES
Plane crash-lands at JKIA, runway closed - : Jambonewspot (http://www.jambonewspot.com/plane-crash-lands-jkia-runway-closed/)

dzaque
4th Jan 2015, 13:02
For the crew well done but a second RWY is really in order

kotakota
4th Jan 2015, 19:46
Don't think it jammed , the photos I have seen , there is not a single door or wheel visible . Finger trouble ?
I don't think JKIA would have let him land with half gear and block their only runway .

Foxcotte
4th Jan 2015, 22:46
Fortunately I managed to miss all the chaos this landing caused today, but I'm really confused as to what happened. Early reports said it had landed gear up, and it rather looked that way to start, then it was said that it was caused by a bird strike(?) out of Wajir, then it was a precautionary landing at JKIA with a collapsed nose gear.... And now it seems the story mill has it a gear failure on landing.

I don't know the Fokker at all but I am amazed that a bird strike could cause a total gear failure? One gear jammed I can understand but all three? I would have thought that these dear old birds (excuse the pun) were originally built with backup systems surely??:confused:

Trim Stab
5th Jan 2015, 13:12
I suspect Kotakota is on the right track.

Foxcotte
5th Jan 2015, 13:34
Could well be right - all the available media pictures of the accident day seem to show no sign of a gear door open or gear stuck up. And was at JKIA this morning and the plane in question is happily sitting on all its gear. These Fokkers get a pretty hard life, and not a lot of TLC to keep them going.

Social media are listing four incidents to this one company?! Namely..15-NOV-2012 , 02-JUL-2014 , 06-SEP-2014 and yesterday 04-JAN-2015. But they have a very good website.....

Ber Nooly
5th Jan 2015, 13:36
More details here (http://avherald.com/h?article=47fc6250&opt=0).

Density altitude was 7850 ft (aerodrome elevation 5330 ft, temp 27, dp 07, QNH1020), so a few extra knots' groundspeed to take an extra layer of paint off the belly.

Sirijus
5th Jan 2015, 13:44
It's safer to land all gear up than with only one MLG and NLG extended. You stay on runway and don't damage the props/wings/engines, so if the craft is written off, you can at least re-use most of it :) of course that applies to high-wing turboprops, not sure about the low-wings

SIMBA2013
5th Jan 2015, 18:35
It was a bird strike on the left main gear out of Wajir, just after V1. On landing at Wilson the left main gear got stuck (two Maribou Stork were wedged and really did serious damage to the mechanism)- photos to follow shortly. After the aircraft was jacked, it took about 20 min to hammer it down.

Rat Catcher
5th Jan 2015, 21:32
Have a look on Avherald, some pictures there. Some feathers from a different bird visible...

obol_fryer
6th Jan 2015, 18:32
Accident: Skyward F50 at Nairobi on Jan 4th 2015, could not extend left main gear (http://avherald.com/h?article=47fc6250&opt=0)