PDA

View Full Version : Spider in the plane windows?

altophobian
3rd Jan 2015, 11:48
I'm just a paranoid passenger that has a question

Recently I notice in one of my local flight plane there is a spider (alive) in its web in the space between the outer and inner glass (I thought it supposed to be air tight?) of the

Can someone enlighten me? it freaks me out tbh

lgweng
3rd Jan 2015, 22:18
The inner pane is just a plastic scratch panel, not part of the window. It's there to stop people fiddling or damaging the window, the gap is just the space between the sidewall panel and the fuselage. Simples!

VP959
3rd Jan 2015, 22:46
If you look closely you'll find there's a small hole drilled through the inner window to equalise the pressure. This may well be where small spiders could gain access to the space between the windows.

con-pilot
3rd Jan 2015, 23:46
It must be a tire spider working its way down to the tires.

Ya got to watch out for them pesky little buggers.

Sop_Monkey
4th Jan 2015, 00:18
Oh altro

We're here to help. I wheel this one out on occasion.

Scary Spider - Play Free Online Games (http://www.onemotion.com/flash/spider/)

It will follow the curser. You can use the curser to pull it around a bit too, so you wont need to touch it, if you have the urge.

You will find this good therapy indeed as these phobia's can be corrected.

The girls just love it!

NutLoose
4th Jan 2015, 01:26
The inner pane is just a plastic scratch panel, not part of the window. It's there to stop people fiddling or damaging the window, the gap is just the space between the sidewall panel and the fuselage. Simples!

Correct, I cannot see it getting fed anytime soon though...

obgraham
4th Jan 2015, 03:15
Correct, I cannot see it getting fed anytime soon though...The spider, however, does not know that. Just a comfy spot to sit and spin.

ChristiaanJ
4th Jan 2015, 03:40
Originally Posted by NutLoose
Correct, I cannot see it getting fed anytime soon though...
Reply posted by obgraham
The spider, however, does not know that. Just a comfy spot to sit and spin.

Sir, you are a heartless sod.

Stanwell
4th Jan 2015, 04:21
So, CJ,
What would you do?
Poke some fruit-flies through the hole for him?

Loose rivets
4th Jan 2015, 04:28
If you make the spider (the sim one) bigger and select shadow, it's much more scarey. Add full bounce and it walks like a poofter. :p

ChristiaanJ
4th Jan 2015, 04:35
Stanwell,
i genuinely was wondering about that....
I suppose a bio research lab could supply some.

Not sure how the SLF would react.........

ChristiaanJ
4th Jan 2015, 04:43
LR,
Working on an iPad at the mo', so can't run the spider sim.

But, you remind me of the old īreal world model and flying camī on flight sims in the olden days, where you could be confronted by a spider the size of a Piper Cub waiting for you on the runway threshold.......

spInY nORmAn
4th Jan 2015, 04:49
I don't think this bugger could make it through that little hole in the window.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10366019_770135546355077_2945030895130422402_n.jpg?oh=b01d7a 9dd9c91e800b50d3efddef7068&oe=5541D35B&__gda__=1430144746_a7fbe4b16cce1c84a4cb566c592188d4

Hempy
4th Jan 2015, 06:20
Spiders I don't mind too much...we've only got 2 really deadly ones.

Snakes on the other hand....:bored:

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2013/01/11/python-plane_1.jpg?itok=btFMaoGQ

criticalmass
4th Jan 2015, 07:36
I remember that one Hempy. The snake paid a high price for atttempting to travel without a valid ticket.

Lon More
4th Jan 2015, 08:35
I bet someone kept an eye on that to Ensure it exited over the wing rather than disappearing inside.

Stanwell
4th Jan 2015, 09:09
Here in OZ we have large a spider called the Huntsman.
They're relatively harmless but can inflict a painful bite. I've got quite a large one patrolling my living areas at the moment.
No real problem.

What I will not tolerate, though, is one taking up residence in my car,
That can cause problems.

mikedreamer787
4th Jan 2015, 09:12
Huntsmen are the good guys of spiderdom
Mr Stanwell. They eat flies mozzies and all
sorts of annoying little boys. :)

Stanwell
4th Jan 2015, 09:19
Yep, quite right - that's why I like them around.
Having one loose in your car when driving, though, is another matter.

beaufort1
4th Jan 2015, 09:23
I've got one currently living inside the driver's wing mirror on my car, quite a good spot as the web is weaved between the mirror and the door and as I drive along small insects are blown into it and he then comes out of the wing mirror housing once I've stopped, collects his dinner and retreats into the mirror.

Sallyann1234
4th Jan 2015, 10:13
That's unkind Henry.

If you wish to live and thrive,
let a spider run alive.

Hempy
4th Jan 2015, 10:21
Huntsmans are ok, they are docile and it takes a lot to fire them up. When they get mad they'll attack though, and it hurts. I guess if you squashed one with your foot putting a shoe on they might have a go at you, but you can safely handle them/brush them off etc. I just carry them outside.

Apparently Funnel Webs are a different beast. They are aggressive and will go you just for getting too close, and chase after you even after they've bitten you already and you are trying to get away. Nasty little [email protected] they are.

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2011/06/03/1226068/726098-funnel-web.jpg

TWT
4th Jan 2015, 10:21
Which reminds me,I have to see if the thin tube from my can of WD40 will fit on a flyspray nozzle so I can give my wing mirror housings a blast.

Hempy
4th Jan 2015, 10:30
Mortein Barrier Spray has a long nozzle thing and does the job beautifully :ok:

TWT
4th Jan 2015, 10:36
Cheers Hempy :ok:

onetrack
4th Jan 2015, 10:49
Biggest spider near-heart-attack I've ever had, involved a set of oxy-acetylene goggles with a flip-up front.

These goggles were held on with an elastic headband and contained a set of fixed, clear lenses closest to your eyes, and a hinged, flip-up front section that contained the dark lenses for welding or oxy-acetylene cutting.

Grabbed the goggles and pulled them on, then flicked the flip-up section up to see what I was doing - and found I was looking at a huge huntsman spider fully occupying one clear lens!! :eek: :eek:

Ripped the goggles off in about 0.000000000000001 of a second (probably "clawing them off in completely irrational panic" would be a more suitable description), only to find the huntsman was occupying the space between the clear and the dark lenses, and he was on the outside of the clear lens when I had the goggles on!

Nonetheless, said huntsman was carefully encouraged to leave his "hidey-hole" and depart to distance places, such as under a piece of bark on a tree.

After my heartbeat returned from 180 beats a minute to under 60, I felt it was time to resume my welding task. :)

cattletruck
4th Jan 2015, 11:27
Finished checking engine fluid levels on my car this morning when I noticed this largish albino spider crawl out from behind my number plate and in an agitated mood.

Sh#t, I didn't wanna kill the poor sucker but this is my ride, so I managed to coerce him/her onto a stick and flicked him/her over the fence :E (well there are plenty more flies over there).

TWT
4th Jan 2015, 11:44
Onetrack,I've done the levitation act after a delay of 1 nanosecond when discovering a spider where I didn't expect one.

And also,in summer,while wobbling up my parent's driveway at 3am and face planting a web spun between trees 6 feet apart that felt like it was made out of fishing line.And then realising that the occupant may actually be in line with my forehead.The terror and flailing of arms while levitating is difficult to do silently,but I managed it that time.I think.

redsnail
4th Jan 2015, 12:10
I have found walking into a spider's web the best way for getting a week's worth of cardio exercise completed in 30 seconds. :ooh:

Hempy
4th Jan 2015, 12:32
Poor old Huntsman

http://www.dunnritepestsolutions.com.au/assets/images/Pests/spiderchart.jpg

mikedreamer787
4th Jan 2015, 12:41
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INc3vy0tvcY

Stanwell
4th Jan 2015, 12:56
Sallyann,
Next time you're over this way, pop in and I'll personally introduce you to the Sydney Funnel Web.
As Hempy had noted earlier, they're nasty buggers with bad habits as well - you'll see.

airship
4th Jan 2015, 20:23
As usual, few, if any here have expressed an ounce of sympathy for either the poor little spider or the injured snake hanging on for dear life and bleeding all over the Australian Airlines logo in Hempy's photo:

http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2013/01/11/python-plane_1.jpg?itok=btFMaoGQ

Is it any wonder that your own Gods rarely answer your prayers...?! :(

Hydromet
4th Jan 2015, 21:16
One night recently I removed a spider into the garden, and climbed into my car to move it into the garage. Just as I was about to drive in, I felt what I immediately assumed to be a spider land on my leg. I evacuated the car urgently, only to watch it roll gracefully into the garage, collecting my table saw, bandsaw and some shelving on the way. This resulted in my first insurance claim in over 30 years.

Never did find the spider.

Stanwell
5th Jan 2015, 01:13
airship,
There's a brown-snake currently hanging around down by the chook shed.
He looks upset and lonely.
Pop over and give him a hug and a cuddle, would you?

I sometimes wonder what planet some people live on.

mikedreamer787
5th Jan 2015, 01:22
Is airship into animal rights or a PETA member? Just asking.

There's a huge Rottweiller just down the road who has a habit of tearing little doggies and cats apart whenever he breaks loose. Poor thing. Tied up in the backyard 24/7. I'm sure a hug would make him feel better and less likely to rip his fellow creatures to shreds.

Failing that a .22 to his head would do instant wonders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l02ClrqCez0

Clare Prop
5th Jan 2015, 01:39
Clever little buggers, I often get them making webs on the wing mirrors.

I thought it was something to do with spider vanity but I guess like all things "spider" it's about killing things with venom and sucking the juice out of them. :E

Had a six legged Huntsman in the house yesterday not sure where he got to

mikedreamer787
5th Jan 2015, 01:42
it's about killing things with venom and sucking the juice out of them :E

Yeah some wives do that....especially in the finance department. :ouch:

TWT
5th Jan 2015, 01:43
Probably looking for his other 2 legs

Hempy
5th Jan 2015, 02:09
Airship, with all respect, when you live in a country with 20 of the top 25 most venous snakes in the world,

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/h3mpy/73DDAEE2-18F8-481C-AEFC-D27862072227.png_zpsxiwkrlyv.jpeg

and then add Funnel Web spiders, Redbacks, Blue Rings, Saltwater crocs, Box Jellyfish, sharks of various varieties, Cone shells, Cassowaries, Stone Fish etc etc, you tend to have a little less respect for their lives and a little more for your own. We tend to only kill the deadly ones.

ChristiaanJ
5th Jan 2015, 03:29
Hempy,
I can see your point.....

Where I live now, the only snake I've seen was desperately trying to get out of our swimming pool. I fished him out with the leaf collecting net. He was most grateful, and disappeared at top speed, never to be seen again.

Many years ago, we had a holiday house in the same area (S of France), reputed to have vipers. So every year we brought a vial of anti-snake-bite serum. Never needed it; the two vipers I saw over the years were anything but agressive.

As to spiders, I just apologise to them when I have to clean up their webs every now and then. And at least they do make a good job of keeping the flies down!

TWT
5th Jan 2015, 04:04
Has that funnel web in post #24 got 9 legs ? :p

Speaking of which (do not watch if you are the slightest bit arachnophobic !)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsEogUO7q1M
mmmmm
mmmmm
mmmmm
mmmmm

Stanwell
5th Jan 2015, 04:18
Nah!
Eight legs and two palps. (standard issue)

Hempy
5th Jan 2015, 04:35
My personal favourite

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/h3mpy/01757FF2-7DE6-4840-BC51-1A121C30E1C0_zps8dqxfbgp.jpg

http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/animals/pictures/cassowary-attack-2.jpg

Stanwell
5th Jan 2015, 06:49
On the subject of snakes again.. (Caution - aviation content)
When doing mineral exploration in Queensland, we came out one morning to our (Kawasaki) Bell 47.

While putting our gear into the cab, our attention was drawn to a large brown-snake inside who'd taken great exception to our presence.
He wasn't going anywhere - well, waddya do?

One of the guys fortunately had the clues to pick up a CO2 extinguisher and discharge it into the cab from a safe distance.
Exit snake, stage-left and we could then, after a 'nice cup of tea', continue.

Thank gawd he didn't make his presence known when we were airborne!

After that, the doors were fitted immediately after each arrival.

MagnusP
5th Jan 2015, 13:00
I suspect the OP saw the well-known Sopwith Camel Spider. :} (Or, perhaps, as dottir#1's BF said at a family dinner "the really scary ones are these cameltoe spiders". Cue much hysterical laughter, falling off chairs &c).

Hempy, was that the Flick ID chart you posted? I'm sure I still have one somewhere.

mikedreamer787
5th Jan 2015, 13:26
My personal favourite

Well now we know what the Velociraptor evolved into.

OFSO
5th Jan 2015, 13:27
Cassowary - even ostriches are nasty. Had one friend whose leg was opened from thigh to foot by a kick from one of those dumb birds.

Gibon2
5th Jan 2015, 14:54
Here in OZ we have large a spider called the Huntsman.
They're relatively harmless but can inflict a painful bite.
No real problem.

What I will not tolerate, though, is one taking up residence in my car,
That can cause problems.

Yes indeed. I fondly recall many years ago driving to Canberra airport in my faithful Peugeot 504 (indestructible, but not terribly spider-proof). As I turned onto the busy main road the sun came into my eyes, so I casually flipped the sun visor down - causing the large huntsman resting on the reverse side to drop into my lap.

I don't know which of us was the more surprised, but only one of us was in control of a motor vehicle travelling at 80km/h. I careened all over the road, by some miracle not hitting anything, and finally managed to stop on the grass verge, where I exited the car in 0.0002 of a second. Once my heart rate had dropped below 500, I began the tedious but nerve-wracking task of finding the critter and shooing it out of the car. And could I be sure it was alone?

I always check behind the sun visors before setting off when driving in Oz now, which my companions sometimes find eccentric.

Anyway, here is an amusing short video showing the correct way of removing a huntsman spider from a house:

bRV4d9LCawU

MagnusP
5th Jan 2015, 15:06
We used to get the occasional Huntsman in the house, but they just got gathered up and popped outside. We had Flick treat the house annually against insect entry, but the odd one would wander in.

There was a bull ant infestation at the telescope, so Flick were called in to deal with it. The day before the treatment, my (overly-sentimental) boss went round the dome with a bucket and a soft brush to "rescue" all the huntsman spiders. By the time he got outside with the bucket, there were one or two survivors of the great huntsman-in-a-bucket battle. :sad:

Hempy
5th Jan 2015, 16:03
MagnusP, a Flick chart it was. I think they are the only ones who actually did pest control until about 15 years ago...might have been something to do with the DDT!!

Who remembers the famous 'Look Up and Live' campaign?

http://dropbearpreserevationsociety.org/web_images/14_4.bmp

http://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s3/digital-cougar-assets/AusGeo/2013/09/10/5600/drop-bear-image.jpg

Drop Bear - Australian Museum (http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear)

http://web.archive.org/web/20130511181210/http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/drop-bears-prefer-travellers-says-study.htm

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Jan 2015, 17:07
Mr Dreamer

Rottweilers are usually big slobbery teddy bears. I'd be inclined to think the idiot owner of the Rottie messed with his head and made him what he is. Suggest you insert said .22 round into the back of the neck of said owner, between C5 and C6.

My personal favourite

Yeah, yeah, yeah... But what does it taste like?

airship
5th Jan 2015, 17:53
I sometimes wonder what planet some people live on...
Is airship into animal rights or a PETA member?

A1: "The 3rd planet away from the Sun...?!" :p
A2: "airship endeavours to respect all known life-forms (including 2-legged individuals possessing over-sized vocal / typing skills relative to their brain volumes)...?!"

Especially when it comes to Ozzies whining about 'non-native and introduced species which have become a pest'. If you can't offer a fair (dinkum) solution, perhaps you're part of the problem, not part of the solution...?! Abos excluded... :E

Seriously though, if I were Bill Gates, I'd be doing even more to seriously exhaust my personal fortune so that I too might someday enter the Kingdom of Heaven more easily than a camel trying to squeeze though the eye of a needle. Despite the US$ 10s of billions Bill's already contributed via the BMGF (Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation) foundation, his personal fortune according to Forbes and others, just continues growing without restraint apparently... :confused:

Therefore, and in light of my incessantly growing personal fortune, airship would probably dispose of a few additional US$ billions each by way of Greenpeace and Sea Shepherd. The latter organisation especially might also return some amusement: what might US$ 2 billions buy Sea Shepherd? I'm thinking along the lines of refurbishing an ex. USSR Alfa-class submarine (or more recent type) and using that in their next 'anti-whaling' endeavours in the southern seas...?! At least, I might feel some recompense for having had to give up eating shark's fin soup... :ok:

PS. Talking about today's birds which resemble ancient Velociraptors (as introduced by mikedreamer787): I'd consider investing US$ 10 billion as initial contribution to establishing a "Jurasic Park". On condition that 'the experiment' was not conducted on some small, secluded Pacific island. But on the Australian 'sub-continental') island (reputed to be the World's largest island), which would leave the ancient dinosaurs sufficient space to expand their domain properly, once they'd succeeded in eliminating more recent 'dinosaurs' (the Ozziedaurs)?!

Hempy
6th Jan 2015, 00:49
SRT. Tastes like chicken!!! :}

CoodaShooda
6th Jan 2015, 01:23
Airship

To put a bit of context to the Aussie outlook.....

A couple of years ago, a fit, young chap attended hockey practice at the International Hockey Facility in the middle of Darwin City.

It was just a typical dry season afternoon. Pleasant weather, pleasant company and a bit of healthy exercise.

As he came out of the changerooms, he noticed a small snake (lets say 15cm long) lying on the pitch/field/ground (whatever they call it in hockey).

Being of pleasant and caring disposition, he picked it up and carefully deposited in the bush over the fence, so it would come to no harm from assorted hockey players/sticks/balls.

He then went for a warm-up jog around the adjacent streets.

When he didn't return after a reasonable interval, his mates went looking for him.

They found him lying dead in a ditch - the autopsy subsequently finding that he had succumbed to the effects of taipan venom.

But ho hum. We had six times as many people killed by saltwater crocodiles here in 2014.

mikedreamer787
6th Jan 2015, 01:50
Rottweilers are usually big slobbery teddy bears.I'll take your word for it Mr SRT. :)

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR00diKvvpISzmQAXugRCanDl3gyGRbpVtLOLFMJRo 8CFRnm9kk

A2: "airship endeavours to respect all known life-forms

So there's no ant killer, no flea powder, no Ridsect and no mouse traps in the airship household?

FullOppositeRudder
6th Jan 2015, 04:41
A friend of mine used to relate with great hilarity how one of his associates who was terrified of spiders was taking a new found girlfriend (also terrified of spiders but not hitherto disclosed) for an impression creating local flight in a tired old 172 normally sitting on the flight line at the local aerodrome.

Things were going well until just after rotate and liftoff when a dirty great hunstman spider appeared from under the instrument panel and made a determined and deliberate climb onto the hand that held the throttle. Somehow he managed to give it a frantic flick which transported the poor creature onto her lap. :eek:

A tarantella like performance followed - within the limitation if the harness of course - during which the centre of interest somehow found its way onto the cockpit floor and disappeared for the remainder of the somewhat shortened flight.

Commendably, basic airmanship was more or less maintained through this episode, although reportedly there was a query from the tower about the somewhat unorthodox attitudes observed during the climb-out.

(Whether the relationship flourished after this episode was not recorded).

Hempy
6th Jan 2015, 05:14
I'd consider investing US$ 10 billion as initial contribution to establishing a "Jurasic Park". On condition that 'the experiment' was not conducted on some small, secluded Pacific island. But on the Australian 'sub-continental') island (reputed to be the World's largest island), which would leave the ancient dinosaurs sufficient space to expand their domain properly, once they'd succeeded in eliminating more recent 'dinosaurs' (the Ozziedaurs)?!

You don't need to invest, it's always been here. And you might be surprised to learn how killers are dealt with...

G5rFzsCmdOo

p.s not sure Ostriches act like this..

YA58sS3x2Oo

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Jan 2015, 07:10
Tastes like chicken!!!

Just as well they're not native to Africa then. They'd be damned near extinct by now.:}

Used to get the odd drumstick from a local ostrich farm when flying jumpers in the area. We'd stick it between two wire gates and bind the frames together with a length of bloudraad (thick baling wire) then dangle it over the braai. More like red meat but low in fat and delicious if done properly. A drumstick would provide a good feed for a dozen or so ravenous meat eaters.

onetrack
6th Jan 2015, 08:36
The major problem as regards huntsman spiders is their predilection to scamper quickly up anything seen as an escape exit. That "something" is usually an arm or leg. :eek:

I can recall when working on a minesite, there was an old, unsightly, irrelevant sign nailed to a tree on the entrance road.
Being of a tidy nature and intent on improving the mine entrance appearance to visitors, I stopped my vehicle, got out and proceeded to rip said sign down off the tree to which it was attached.

However, no sooner had I started wrenching on the sign and loosening it's attachment to the tree, than a giant huntsman - obviously startled and fearful for its existence - promptly scampered out from the back of the sign, and immediately raced up my (bare) arm at what seemed to me, to be the speed of light.

I can tell you, the feel of 8 little huntsman feet pattering up your arm at warp speed is enough to make your reflexes operate at TWICE the speed of light!!
I don't know what happened to the poor old huntsman - I think he was probably flung into low orbit by my hasty and violent reaction to his scamper up my arm.
Half the problem was, he was moving so fast, I had no idea what it actually was, until I'd already nearly launched him into low orbit - and by that time, it was too late to stop the violent reflex action of my arm!