PDA

View Full Version : Cricket Question

kangaroota
3rd Jan 2015, 04:53
If a batsperson hits the ball which then threatens to hit his/her stumps, my understanding is they can do what is necessary to protect their stumps without fear of being given out lbw, handled ball, hit ball twice etc.
My question is, if in the process of protecting their stumps, they hit the ball to a fielder who catches it, are they out or was the ball already dead?

rvv500
3rd Jan 2015, 05:18
If the ball has still ot touched ground when he first hits it and then he hits is second time to protect wicket, if he's judgged as having obstructed a wicketkeeper or fielder in taking a catch, he'll already be out obstructing the field. It does not matter then if the ball if caught on the full or not by a fielder then.

Fliegenmong
3rd Jan 2015, 05:54
What I want to know about the cricket is.....

When it comes on in the morning....and they go to some talking head who knows the game inside out, be it on the radio or TV....they invariably say something like "They'll be looking for an early wicket".....well uh, yeah....ain't that the point??? :ugh:

I miss Kerry O'Keefe and Harsha Bhogle on the ABC radio....and I don't even really listen to cricket....

Hydromet
3rd Jan 2015, 06:05
I miss Kerry O'Keefe and Harsha Bhogle on the ABC radio....and I don't even really listen to cricket....
They were the only thing of interest when the cricket was on.

Fliegenmong
3rd Jan 2015, 07:36
Ha ha....Kerry was a funny [email protected] Harshas voice was..well...something amazing!!

UniFoxOs
3rd Jan 2015, 07:54
"They'll be looking for an early wicket".....well uh, yeah....ain't that the point???

Guess that means that cricket commentators come from the same stable as football ones - they engage mouth before putting brain in gear.

mikedreamer787
3rd Jan 2015, 08:01
I liked Richie Benaud. An honourable and great cricket broadcaster.

0W-7uY5Jyxo&list=PLAkACX4xw9vzhxQmTVVjDt8dZnRZzACQz

surely not
3rd Jan 2015, 15:14
If they use their hand to knock the ball away from the stumps they WILL be given out Handled ball. What a pity Mr Gooch didn't know the Laws of cricket and stupidly got himself out in this way.

Wedge
3rd Jan 2015, 16:13
What surely not said. He will be out handled the ball if he uses his hand (a hand not in contact with the bat) to stop the ball from hitting the stumps.

my understanding is they can do what is necessary to protect their stumps without fear of being given out lbw, handled ball, hit ball twice etc.

That's incorrect. The batsman may hit the ball a second time with the bat or any other part of his person except a hand not in contact with the bat if he is defending his wicket. In other words a batsman can hit or kick the ball a second time if defending his wicket. (In the event of using his leg or other part of his person he won't be out LBW as LBW does not apply where the ball has already touched the bat).

Dismissal (cricket) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dismissal_%28cricket%29#Law_34:_Hit_the_ball_twice)

In answer to your question - "is he out if he is then caught having hit the ball a second time?" - an excellent question for which I had to consult to the MCC laws of cricket, as I was not sure if it would be out in the case where the ball had been grounded before it is hit for a second time in defence of the stumps..... And the answer is there....

...a catch shall be considered to be fair if...(c) a fielder catches the ball after it has been lawfully struck more than once by the striker, but only if it has not been grounded since it was first struck.

So the answer is - the batsman will be out if he is caught having hit the ball a second time but only if the ball does not hit the ground at any point after the batsman hits it for the first time. Hope that's clear! :E

Law 32 (Caught) (http://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-32-caught-1/)

PS

as rvv500 states the above is also subject to Law 37 (Obstructing the field) which may apply:

3. Obstructing a ball from being caught

The striker is out should wilful obstruction or distraction by either batsman prevent a catch being made. This shall apply even though the obstruction is caused by the striker himself in lawfully guarding his wicket under the provision of Law 34.3 (Ball lawfully struck more than once).

http://www.lords.org/mcc/laws-of-cricket/laws/law-37-obstructing-the-field/