PDA

View Full Version : is it tits up for us flight training?

pipergirl
23rd Sep 2001, 15:11
so what do u all reckon? do u think with all this palava goin on in the states, is it
a. going to be difficult(or will things be tightened up) for people flight training in the states?
b. would u risk heading over with all the commotion or just look at another destination for training?

also i heard that vfr flight in florida is not allowed at the moment. anyone know if this is true? :eek:

[ 23 September 2001: Message edited by: pipergirl ]

mad_jock
23rd Sep 2001, 17:45
Well i am off to fl on sunday 30th for 2 weeks.

It might be a good time to actually go across. The CEPS won't be over hour building and ppl students will be few and far apart.

Which leads me to suspect that you will get a bit more attention than normal.

You be better to post this in wannabies. Naples and others check that forum and they have more clue what the latest deal is.

The only other thing is don't pay any deposits before you go and always pay by credit card when your there. Brittania in winterhaven don't look for any money up front. Where as some on the east coast want a small child as hostage 4 minutes after arriving

MJ

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Sep 2001, 23:35
pipergirl & mad_jock,

In the past you could come to the U.S. for training without a visa (using the Airline Visa Waiver Form) and only run a slight risk of being turned back. Right now, you run a greater than 50% chance of being turned back without a visa for flight training.

My advice to any student traveling to the U.S. for flight training/hour building would be to enter the country with an M-1 Visa. In the past students have been able to dodge this with the visa waiver however I would not recommend this now. The U.S. Immigration gives this issuance of M-1 Visa power to accredited schools. This should help any student choose a school as they have had to go though a rigorous system to prove themselves.

The paperwork process is very straight forward and normally involves filling out a form and sending it to the U.S. Embassy along with your passport. Some countries will require an interview however Naples Air Center has not experienced this with European Nationalities.

To check to see if you need a Visa click
here (http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/visa/visaindex.htm) and in the Reason for travel blank put STUDY

Hope this helps,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

pipergirl
26th Sep 2001, 20:54
thank you very much richard for that info.....very useful
pipergirl

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th Sep 2001, 21:03
pipergirl,

Always glad to help.

Richard

Ontheairwaves
27th Sep 2001, 00:43
Pipergirl
VFR is now lifted in the US and flight training is back to normal.
I would strongly recommend a visa.
I know of 1 guy who is going to a South West Florida school and was told that because he was only going for a short time "a visa was not required".
But he got refused by INS and is now obtaining one.
So my advice is if in doubt contact your local US Embassy and they'll set you straight on what you need or don't need.
You can still get good training in the US but just be sure to check out what you can and can't log towards the grant of a licence once you are back in Europe!!!!! :cool:

mad_jock
27th Sep 2001, 17:56
O well as i am currently in germany and fly in 3 days i think i will have to chance it.

I have packed some trimix tables and dive computers so it looks like i am doing some cave diving just in case.

Look for forward to meeting you Richard when i am over next weekend for some twin training.

With the dollar being so low i might be able to afford more than planned :)

MJ

[ 27 September 2001: Message edited by: mad_jock ]

rnobson
27th Sep 2001, 21:14
hey Jock

Give me a call when yu get here

Robbie

mad_jock
28th Sep 2001, 13:20
I will try Robbie.

Have to see the status at the moment.

Alistair