PDA

View Full Version : Bangkok/Garuda airlines

Coke611
3rd Jun 2002, 12:35
I'm due to be going to bangkok and bali with Garuda Airlines on 7th September.

Has anyone ever flown on Garuda before - I've never even heard of them!

I should be kitted out with my PPrune cap & t-shirt by then, so keep an eye out for me if you're a garuda capt!

christep
3rd Jun 2002, 13:12
Garuda is the international airline of Indonesia. You can find out about them at:

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi_bin/airline_detail.cgi?airline=Garuda+Indonesia

Er - Good Luck! :)

gulf_slf
4th Jun 2002, 10:58
Didnt 'Bangkok Airlines' have an incident (5years back?) in Koh Samui, where the SAAB a/c went to check that all the coconut palms at the airfield were at a uniform height?

And found that they were not!!

Nasty Old Business!

GwynM
3rd Jul 2002, 12:58
I've flown Garuda recently, they are as good as anyone. Flight back from Bali via Bancock (747-400) was quick, clean and even enjoyable (for a 12 hour flight) Catering etc was fine, but the Harry Potter film helped.

Flight out 1st June (LGW-Abu Dhabi - Bancock - Bali) was more interesting...took off about an hour late (possible problems as the transit to the old satellite was out), on a 747-200 which meant an additional stop in Abu Dhabi for refuelling. About 4 hours in, probably over the Balkans, the seatbelt sign came on, and this time the crew belted up themselves, one even praying. About 2 minutes later, a quick loss of height (1-2,000 feet), and then much activity from the flight deck (I was upstairs, so could see it) rushing around, with the cabin crew belting up each time they weren't being shouted at. This was followed by 2.5 hours on the ground (usually only one for refuelling), due to "technical reasons".

Can anyone let me know what happened on this flight?

PAXboy
3rd Jul 2002, 22:57
GwynM asks, "Can anyone let me know what happened on this flight?" It sounds like the kind of event when it would be better NOT to know. :cool:

gulf_slf asks, "Didnt 'Bangkok Airlines' have an incident (5years back?) in Koh Samui, where the SAAB a/c went to check that all the coconut palms at the airfield were at a uniform height?
And found that they were not!!"

If it's the one I know about - it was December 1990 but there might have been two! We went from BKK to USM (Koh Samui) on a Dash 8 in January 1991.

We had booked in the UK some months earlier and when checking flight details in Bangkok the day before, the agent said that she would find out if flights were operating again after the crash!!! :eek:

I always maintain that it is best to fly with an airline immediately after it has had a prang, as everyone is then on their toes. Unless it is Cubana or Korean, of course :rolleyes:

PeetD
9th Jul 2002, 08:39
We flew Bangkok Air from BKK to Samui in March (having done the LHR-BKK bit on BA). as they are the only way to fly to Samui. They were absolutly fine. On time, (unlike BA which was 90mins late so we missed out connection and had to get the next one) and efficient. Free cold drinks in the lounge by the gate very welcome after an 800m dash between the international and domestic terminals. Aircraft (ATR's) were fairly new and clean. Samui (USM) airport is beautiful. Thatched huts surrounded by flowers. Full of backpackers.
Good luck on Garuda!

VnV2178B
9th Jul 2002, 15:13
I have a friend who went to Indonesia on Garuda, when she came back she had a T-shirt made which read 'I flew Grauda - and lived', but she never explained what it was about...

VnV;)

Clarence Oveur
10th Jul 2002, 02:43
You people are just so funny.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Smeagol
10th Jul 2002, 18:49
Used to fly Garuda regularly (Singapore - Pekanbaru) many moons ago. Won't say they were frightening but...................it is the only airline I have ever been on when the passengers burst into spontaneous applause when a (relatively) safe landing was accomplished!

Was on one flight where the pilot 'forgot' to decend along conventional lines and almost did a 'wing over'. The decent was VERY rapid!
On another my 12 year old son was standing in the doorway to the flight deck talking to the flight crew and we got on to finals when I told him to sit down and 'buckle up'. I think the crew would have let him stand there during landing!
Knew many Bristow pilots who would not use Garuda to fly at all.

Could go on with even more hair raising stories, all perfectly true.

Please feel free to use Garuda...............I know I won't if almost any other carrier goes where I need to get.

Look on the bright side, they may have improved in the last 20 years.........but then again.......they might not!

Enjoy!

Clarence Oveur
10th Jul 2002, 19:40
It is always amusing to watch people who think they know something about flying, when they obvioulsy don't.

Keep 'em coming folks, could do with a good laugh.

ps. if you are afraid of flying, just stay in the ground.

christep
11th Jul 2002, 05:07
Clarence,

In this respect I get what I need to know about flying from here:

http://www.airdisaster.com/statistics/

My impression for comments around here is that most people's perceived "comfort" level is that they are unhappy with airlines with a Rate over 3 by this measurement.

mutt
12th Jul 2002, 10:43
Arent statistics wonderful, according to this I shouldnt fly on

ValuJet/AirTran 5.88 1 0.17 Million

And yet they only had 1 crash!

Can you also refresh my memory on British Airways.

British Airways 0.32 2 6.50 Million

What two incidents are they referring to? Please dont tell me that it includes the Trident in Staines!

Mutt.

The_Banking_Scot
13th Jul 2002, 13:56
Hi mutt,

When I click on to the British Airways name on the database it only brings up 1 accident;
09.10.76 The Trident midair collision over Yugoslavia with the Inex Adria DC9-31.

Regards
TBS

Smeagol
13th Jul 2002, 18:20
Clarence

"It is always amusing to watch people who think they know something about flying, when they obvioulsy (sic) don't. "

Thought this was a forum for PASSENGERS not necessarily experts on flying. However, if it gives you a laugh.......