PDA

View Full Version : Phoenetic Alphabet?????

burnercan
3rd Jun 2002, 11:57
Maybe not the right place but does anyone know the "old" phonetic alphabet ??? ie a = alan b = bob etc??

thanks burner:p

BEagle
3rd Jun 2002, 12:19
Oz phonetics.....

A - Abbo
B - Beer
C - Christ (oi'll 'ave another beer!)
D - Dunny
E - Edna (Our Dame - and a bonza sheila to boot!)
F - Fosters
G - G'day

.....etc

jrs2-benson
3rd Jun 2002, 13:56
Just thought I'd add,

Dingo's (Shela....!!!!)
O(J) - Orange Juice
S - Struth
W - Western Diamond Back (Snake)

CUNIM
3rd Jun 2002, 14:30
Which one do you mean? The WW1 ish version Ack Beer etc or the Able Baker Charlie Dog Easy Fox George How Item Jig King Love Mike Nan Oboe Peter Queenie Roger Sugar Tare Uncle Victor Whisky Xray Yoke Zebra.

Just finished learning the one above when they changed it

:D :D

burnercan
4th Jun 2002, 12:35
Thanks guys both for the amusment and the serious.....:)

Captain Stable
4th Jun 2002, 13:45
CUNIM, do you have the Ack Beer Charlie one in full? If so could you post it please?

Captain Stable
4th Jun 2002, 13:59
Found it

Ack, Beer, Charlie, Don, Edward, Freddy, George, Harry, Ink, Johnnie, King, London, Monkey, Nuts, Orange, Pip, Queen, Robert, Sugar, Toc, Uncle, Vic, William, X-ray, Yorker, Zebra

Squillions of 'em at http://montgomery.cas.muohio.edu/meyersde/PhoneticAlphabets.htm

oxford blue
4th Jun 2002, 19:37
The reason for the change to what has now become the standard one "Alfa, Bravo, Charlie....etc" is supposed to be that none of the words rhyme with any other English language word, and so should not be confused with "soundalikes" - which was not the case with either of the previous ones.

BEagle
4th Jun 2002, 19:41
Wasn't N 'Nectar' in the original version of the current phonetic alphabet before being changed to 'November'?

Presumably 'Nectar' sounded too much like 'Echo'?

PAXboy
4th Jun 2002, 20:53
Another phoenetic alphabet that I doubt any of you have heard of ...

In the world of international telephone operators, before international direct dialling became a commonplace, all calls between countries were connected manually.

Some of you may remember having to book a call for busy holiday periods and then hearing the international operators call the distance country and then the subscriber (as they were).

To facilitiate the exchange of information, an international phoenetic alphabet was divised. I have no idea when or by whom, not can I remember all of it but some were ...

L - London
P - Paris
R - Rome
S - Sydney

It only fell out of use in the 1990s.

under_exposed
5th Jun 2002, 08:33
Something I found, Hope It helps

The Military Phonetic Alphabet
Pre-World War II WW II/Korean War Vietnam Era to Present
AFFIRM ABLE ALPHA
BAKER BAKER BRAVO
CAST CHARLIE CHARLIE
DOG DOG DELTA
EASY EASY ECHO
FOX FOX FOXTROT
GEORGE GEORGE GOLF
HYPO HOW HOTEL
INT ITEM INDIA
JIG JIG JULIET
KING KING KILO
LOVE LOVE LIMA
MIKE MIKE MIKE
NEGAT NAN NOVEMBER
OPTION OBOE OSCAR
PREP PETER PAPA
QUEEN QUEEN QUEBEC
ROGER ROGER ROMEO
SAD SUGAR SIERRA
TARE TARE TANGO
UNIT UNCLE UNIFORM
VICTOR VICTOR VICTOR
WILLIAM WILLIAM WHISKEY
X-RAY X-RAY X-RAY
YOKE YOKE YANKEE
ZEBRA ZEBRA ZULU

oxford blue
5th Jun 2002, 09:44
I'd never heard of "Nectar". That's a new one on me. If they discarded it, it wouldn't necessarily be because it could be confused with "Echo". The whole idea was that it shouldn't sound close to ANY other English word, so that someone not familiar with the phonetic alphabet would still recognise it. Nectar would sound fairly close, especially in crackly static conditions to Hector, Lecture, Sector, Rector (well. you never know who might be on the other end) or Vector.

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
5th Jun 2002, 17:50
I always have a laugh at "girlie" phonetics from receptionists,call centre girls etc.Booked a Singapore airlines flight recently-"..thats S for Slimey,Q for Cucumber"
(edited because the censor thinks that "ssniger" for "laugh is offensive!!)

BEagle
5th Jun 2002, 18:49
Let's try it with NIGERIA.....

Well, that worked!

henry crun
5th Jun 2002, 22:35
Another phonetic N

At the time of the changeover to the current alphabet we had a CO who was a devoted lay preacher.

Came the big day and he was leading the first pair.
They got airborne and he called the tower to change to approach frequency which was designated N.

"Tower, Red airborne changing to N...........eerrr,N.........eerr,
N... Nonconformist"

:)

innuendo
6th Jun 2002, 02:52
Any one know if there is any truth to the story that you cannot register your boat name as Mai Tai because on the air it sounds like an Australian declaring an emergency? Someone told me that and I always wondered if I was being had.

oxford blue
6th Jun 2002, 19:39
Nothing to do with the phonetic alphabet, but I like the story of when the Australians sent a regiment to fight in the Vietnam war. It was on the TV news and an anti-war journalist pounced on the first guy off the aircraft, an Australian sergeant trooper with a big bush hat and challenged him. "Did you come here to die?" he sneered.

"No, mate", he said, "We came here yesterdie. We been travelling inside the country all todie."

Stan Evil
8th Jun 2002, 12:44
You'll find another minor variation in some Middle Eastern countries where 'whiskey' has been replaced by 'wadi'. I wonder why?