PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Freight Dogs

e195-001
1st Jan 2015, 15:42
Hi guys/gals,

So here it is.
Im currently a load controller(clc/loadsheets etc), but fancy a change and to get more hands on, and love flying.

So I'm thinking cargo loadmaster might be the way to go and get into.

Just wondering what the lifestyle is like and any stories you guys have?

Thanks in advance

E195

TOWTEAMBASE
1st Jan 2015, 15:49
What area are you in

e195-001
1st Jan 2015, 15:54
Hi there
thanks for the reply

im in the UK, though i guess could look at jobs in the US and Europe as well?

Dave

TOWTEAMBASE
1st Jan 2015, 16:38
Where abouts in the UK :)

e195-001
1st Jan 2015, 16:45
Basingstoke
:)

TOWTEAMBASE
1st Jan 2015, 16:46
PM me when you can :)

Anilv
2nd Jan 2015, 00:18
when you're away from base, especially in more remote areas, you'll have to do everything it takes to get the load on. Totally different from working from a fixed base where you know everyone and are confident of the process.

Its simple enough to say that the load is not acceptable (pallet not loaded properly, nets with to big gaps, weight not spread out over pallets ), you need to fix it otherwise you're employer will find someone else who can and get the load ito its dest.

You also need to be creative in solving issues, not to mention have negotiating skills, this will help when dealing with loaders, shippers etc.

Be observant, a 5 ton pallet will move differently from a 2 ton pallet...this can save your skin one day.

You need to be well up to speed on your tie-down and shoring to identify problems. Freighters usually carried weird stuff and each needs to be analysed.

Anil

JammedStab
2nd Jan 2015, 01:50
Depending on the aircraft, a good loadmaster is fairly knowledgeable about mechanical things. I suppose on the big jets at big airports, everything will be provided for you and is fairly straight forward but in the remote areas on big turboprops in the middle of nowhere, you are going to have to estimate weights of unusual items and decide on loading and balance and how to get the damn stuff on board using ingenuity.

Remember that fuel really likes to somehow leak out of old(or new vehicles)or that even though the weight of a particular empty fuel truck may be in your book on weights of vehicles and machinery, it may have a couple of thousand pounds of accumulated sand from over the last 40 years inside.

Be ready to sweat or freeze, and be really cautious. I have seen loads being winched off an aircraft suddenly move sideways fast enough to squish anybody that would have been beside it. It can be dangerous.

e195-001
2nd Jan 2015, 09:41
Hi guys
Thanks for the replies so far, really interesting and the challenge sounds fantastic.

As loadmaster, what are conditions like (perks/pay/holiday etc), and how do the shifts or trips work?

Dave

grounded27
3rd Jan 2015, 06:33
Caution also to HAZMAT, it is a wild world out there and customers of ACMI airlines will not always catch things as simple as not loading flammables and corrosives on the same pallet. As a flight mechanic, a loadmaster was my wing man, always there to hold a flashlight when needed and I was always there to keep eyes on things he did not have time to oversee. Best pilots I have ever worked with were in the ACMI world. It is a great life for the young or single man as was my experience.

sidman
4th Jan 2015, 14:56
Also be prepared to load the plane. Check all the paperwork. Track down the flight plans. Do the weight and balance all on no sleep. It's not uncommon to be on the plane with the mechanics for 2 or 3 days before you see a hotel or shower. I have been lucky so far on this trip a 24 hour trip to the Middle East 10 days in a hotel doing nothing. Then I will have a 48 hour day back to the states.
It's a good job. Just have to take the good with the bad.

JammedStab
16th Jan 2015, 23:10
Good point about the HAZMAT. The loadmasters did a much more in-depth study of this area.

e195-001
16th Jan 2015, 23:12
It all sounds really intriguing and definitely a route i want to go down.

Appreciate all the help so far!
:)

DVR7R
23rd Jan 2015, 01:05
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you will not get a job in the UK as a civil Loadmaster.

Loadmasters are just not required to fly out with the aircraft anymore, the W&B is all completed by a ground based agent (like yourself) and then again by another ground based agent at the other end.

They do still get the odd flying job when something a little special needs to be loaded and flown to a far flung destination. It's pretty rare though. 

Being a Loadmaster is a pretty cool job though, and I enjoy every minute of it, although the flying has pretty much dried up here too :( 

I see you would think of moving overseas to chase the job, and to be honest that's probably your best chance. 

A Loadmaster duty period can be very, very long (days in fact).
We are not governed by any duty time restrictions as we are not technically 'crew'. We are classed as pax..... :hmm: 

If you do secure employment in some dark and distant country, be careful as I have seen and heard many stories of Loadmasters working until they pretty much drop, and then some....  

I really hope you find your job out there, you'll love it, just be careful! :ok::ok:

Keep us all updated! :ok:

DVR7R
23rd Jan 2015, 01:06
You'll also need to be a champion beer drinker down route...... :ok:

Best of luck

grounded27
23rd Jan 2015, 04:45
We are not governed by any duty time restrictions as we are not technically 'crew'. We are classed as pax

During my day the Loadmaster and Mx Rep were listed as crew, on a crew deceleration. I believe the current term is "Supernumerary Crewmember".

DVR7R
23rd Jan 2015, 21:47
Yes we are listed on the gendec as crew, and listed on the flight release as supernumerary, and of course we have all had our SEP, but at the end of the day once we are completed we are pretty much just pax.

bubbs
13th Feb 2015, 18:53
I once worked for a particular African company (not naming any names, but they had 707s and DC10s), and did on one or two occasions see the same loadmaster on 10+ legs of a trip, all with 2/3 hour turns. :}

As DVR7R says, there's generally no duty time limits (which I, as an ops guy, always thought was absolutely ludicrous, because the consequences of an incorrectly locked pallet or misplaced pallet can be catastrophic).

A sense of humor would probably be essential. :)

As DVR7R says too, getting a UK based job as one will be hard, if not impossible, mainly due to the W&B all being done by local agents these days. MK Airlines used to have loadmasters.

That said, if you find someone who flies into less well 'equipped' places (certain parts of Africa and Asia being the prime candidate I'd think), then you might get lucky. Although it would probably mean either relocating or a long old commute to/from work.

I don't know if Cargolux have loadies or not for their B747s - they do do some stuff down to places in Africa with drilling equipment and stuff though, so it's possible that they would stick a loadie on for those sorts of flights.

I don't know if I can mention this (mod pls edit if so) but Mercator Aviation are a crewing recruitment company who might be able to point you in the right direction (google em). Before anyone panics, I have zero connection to said firm, just happened across them once in the past :)

CargoMatatu
16th Feb 2015, 08:02
Cargolux (CV) don't have Loadmasters as such any more. They are principally a scheduled service Carrier.

At their home base they have a load control department who takes care of all load planning and Weight and Balance. Also special loads preparation. Their outstations handle everything locally.

On rare occasions if they have an ad hoc special load/trip they will send one of the load controllers on board to act as Loadmaster.