PDA

View Full Version : Qatar Transit

slowjet
1st Jan 2015, 11:49
Friend of mine travelling with Qatar Airways will be in transit, Doha, for 7 hours. She asked if she would be allowed to exit the airport & meet up with her friends who live there. She has a UK Passport. I did fall about laughing but don't, truly, know the answer. Thought I would ask the experts. Thanks and safe flying to all in the New Year.

Gordomac
1st Jan 2015, 11:57
Cripes Slow ! Let us pretend that she is a nasty. Brings a nasty in her hold baggage. The baggage is transferred in the transit time. She, ............................long gone....................by the time the nasty suitcase explodes. Er, No. I think I know the answer to this one. Tell her to enjoy the transit facilities in Doha. They are rather good. Seven hours is nothing. Enjoy the leg-stretch, a meal in one of the outlets, bit of a shop..........fabbo...... !

SOPS
1st Jan 2015, 12:04
I disagree. I can see no reason why she can't leave the airport. My mum was in Transit for 8 hours in Dubai a few months ago. I picked her up at the airport, took her home for a shower, out for dinner and then back to the airport.

If you no show on the connecting flight, your bag will be removed.

ironbutt57
1st Jan 2015, 12:22
as long as one's nationality qualifies for entry into the country, there is no issue..

TOWTEAMBASE
1st Jan 2015, 12:25
Surely you are not in transit if you have to go back to check in and central search?

ManaAdaSistem
1st Jan 2015, 16:31
I belive she can.
Qatar Airways arrange city tours for transit passengers with long transit times.
Takes about two hours, but she can find information on the Doha airport website.

Calmcavok
1st Jan 2015, 17:06
Yup. Possible. We did it a couple of years ago through Doha. Took a long 22hr transit. Saved a fortune on the flights, checked the bags through from SA to LHR. Put the essentials in the hand luggage and got a hotel for the night plus had a nice meal out with friends.

Capetonian
1st Jan 2015, 17:15
Slightly confused information on Timatic, but since a GB passport does not require a visa to enter Qatar for a short stay, I see no problem.

TWOV (TRANSIT WITHOUT VISA):
VISA REQUIRED, EXCEPT FOR HOLDERS OF ONWARD TICKETS FOR A MAX.
TIME OF 24 HOURS.
- HOLDERS OF A PREARRANGED STOPOVER PAID BY CARRIER (STPC)
ISSUED TO THOSE IN TRANSIT FOR MIN. 8 HOURS AND MAX. 24
HOURS ARE PERMITTED TO LEAVE THE TRANSIT AREA, IF HOLDING
PASSPORTS VALID FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS AND SUBJECT TO
APPROVAL FROM IMMIGRATION.

casablanca
1st Jan 2015, 18:43
Quite a few countries that are allowed visa on arrival....no big deal other than it may cost 100 riyal(17.6£)

DutchExpat
2nd Jan 2015, 08:18
SOPS, Thats quite decent you at least bought her dinner after you brought her home for a shower :)

slowjet
2nd Jan 2015, 10:04
Thanks very much chaps. I'll tell her to give it a go.

SOPS
2nd Jan 2015, 16:03
Ok DutchExpat...I could have phrased it better:ok:

highflyer40
2nd Jan 2015, 16:19
you can do it anywhere as long as there are no visa reqorements for that country. when I smoked I used to always arrange a longer transit so I could leave the airport terminal to go out for a smoke.