PDA

View Full Version : Lancair: Punta Arenas to Hamilton, via Sth Pole

45 South
1st Jan 2015, 04:26
For those interested in those going a long way on one engine...

Pilot's journey over both poles to cross over Hamilton | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/64585430/pilots-journey-over-both-poles-to-cross-over-hamilton)

There is a link in the article to his spider tracks trace.

Hope he makes it OK, there is a whole lot of blue and white to cross...

Due Hamilton, 10-00 am +\- tomorrow.

Dick Smith
1st Jan 2015, 10:17
Is he still heading for Hamilton?

Shot Nancy
1st Jan 2015, 10:24
Great to see that in the nanny age we live in today, where we are all regulated to the lowest standard, oppressive regulation has not dampened someones spirit of adventure and discovery.
Good to see and good luck.

45 South
1st Jan 2015, 17:31
Looks like he made a call at the pole to return to Punta due headwinds making reaching NZ questionable.

Still a very awesome day out.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/64604976/tiny-plane-makes-south-pole-but-not-new-zealand

50 50
1st Jan 2015, 22:33
Nice work Bill. Thank god there's still some mountains left to climb.

Seabreeze
2nd Jan 2015, 06:54
Very happy to see another adventurer have a go at somthing new. Hope he has insurance. Don't want to see yet another tax payer funded rescue due poor planning and poor support.

Draggertail
2nd Jan 2015, 10:04
Seabreeze, glad you weren't in charge of OH&S for the Wright brothers.

Don_Apron
2nd Jan 2015, 19:27
I don't think they can stop him trying achieve his goal can they? We could dream up some 'elf and safety crap, that would keep him on the ground I guess.

dubbleyew eight
4th Jan 2015, 10:41
never count on help at the south pole.
ask jon johanson about his experiences.
if it wasn't for shiela he would have died in the ice.
...with lots watching.

27/09
4th Jan 2015, 20:15
dubbleyew eightnever count on help at the south pole.
ask jon johanson about his experiences.
if it wasn't for shiela he would have died in the ice.
...with lots watching.

He would not have died. He might have had to leave his aircraft behind.

He was either ignorant or arrogant. He was refused permission to go to the South Pole but turned up anyway, then bleated about not getting any help. They didn't want him there as they were not equipped to deal with a mishap were one to occur nor did they have any fuel they could supply to him. After this little episode I lost respect for the guy.

Sop_Monkey
4th Jan 2015, 20:35
I remember the late Max Conrad (a professional ferry pilot) in the late '60's attempting the same circumnavigation. He actually planned a tech stop at the South Pole In a Piper Aztec. However what wasn't planned was a "whiteout" on T/O. and the aircraft sank into snow. The aircraft is probably still there. I remember there being a bit of a storm as to who was going to eventually pay the costs of getting him off the ice.

I wish this guy luck and admire his spirit of adventure and endurance.

Aussie Bob
4th Jan 2015, 21:30
Hope he has insurance. Don't want to see yet another tax payer funded rescue due poor planning and poor support

I hope he has no insurance, I prefer the wing and a prayer. If he needs rescueing then I am more than happy to see my tax dollars go there.

megan
5th Jan 2015, 12:10
He was either ignorant or arrogant. He was refused permission to go to the South Pole but turned up anyway, then bleated about not getting any helpHe needed 400 litres to be able to continue on his way. He pulled the same stunt on his flight from Walvis Bay to Fortaleza, using the excuse he had oil pressure problems to land on Ascension Island, where lo and behold, he took on 200 litres. His lack of planning was shown up further when he found after departure from Ascension that Fortaleza didn't have customs so he would need to land at Recife. His attitude is shown up in his statement, "No matter what I might think I must abide by the rules of whatever country I happen to be in even if I see no sense in their rules."

Way to go Jon. Arrogant I think sums it up nicely 27/09.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/JJ4.htm