PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

MAXIMOL
3rd Jun 2002, 10:36
I know that this subject has been covered on this forum in the past, but I wanted to contact somebody with resont history on the subject.

Can anybody let me know of their experiences when going for a Class 1 renewal having developed asthma?

Slao has anybody heard of or used a herbal treatment called Yamoa Powder?

Would realy appreciate any advice on the subject.

monkeyboy
5th Jun 2002, 15:42
MAXIMOL, if you're talking about a renewal rather than an initial then I don't think you have a lot to worry about.

If you're saying that you've developed asthma since your initial then I imagine that the AME will simply ask you to perform the Peak Flow Test, where you blow into the cardboard tube a few times and he may ask you if you're taking any medication for it. Are you?

I admitted to having asthma as a youngster at my initial and so consequently every renewal I have to have a Peak Flow Test but as I exercise regularily and am not on medication for it, it isn't a problem.

I hope this helps.

MB

:)

MAXIMOL
5th Jun 2002, 21:35
Thank's Monkeyboy. I have to have a puff of ventolin if I am doing vigorous aerobic exercise and that's about it. It was the peak flow test that I was worried about as I am not too sure that I will have enough puff!! It is for a renewal so we will have to see what the Doc says.

:eek:

monkeyboy
6th Jun 2002, 09:20
Did you know that you can buy the cardboard peak flow kits from places like Boots etc? I think they're identical to the ones used by doctors. Why don't you get your hands on one of those, practice on it a few times [let's face it, a good technique will go a long way to increasing your rating on the scale] and then when you go for your renewal you'll be that little bit more confident about yourself.

MB:)

AerBabe
6th Jun 2002, 18:35
Apparently if you can arrange your lips around the tube to leave as small an opening as possible it will increase the peak flow reading :)

skygazer
7th Jun 2002, 07:26
This link (if it works!) should give you a predicted peak flow based on height, sex, age, etc. If you use a peak flow meter, it will give you some idea about what reading you should get without asthma, I think for a Class 1 you have to get around 90% of this if you have asthma.....

http://www.kgrimes.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/drgrimes/clinical/PEFR_actual_predicted.htm

MAXIMOL
10th Jun 2002, 17:47
Just to anybody who has followed or has an inetesr in this thread........I passed my medical this morning.
The Dr had a quick check in his book about drugs and it said that you can use ventolin as long as it is just for occasional use as long as you are flying "heavies". He said that they don't mind about asthma as long as it is not going to affect you in the cockpit. didn't go into what would happen if it gets worse.
He made me do a peak flow test which he said was quite good. Practising it helps. (Thanks for the link skygazer)

If anybody wants to drop me an e-mail for further reassurance, the contact me through this forum.

:D

monkeyboy
11th Jun 2002, 07:58
Well done, Maximol!

See, nothing to worry about in the end, eh?

You can relax for another year now.

PS: I've got mine tomorrow - gulp

MB:)