PDA

View Full Version : New Years Resolutions

wings folded
30th Dec 2014, 13:42
At this time of year, after being wished happy holidays when I am not on holiday, I get asked what is my New Year Resolution.

In case anybody on pprune was wondering, it is as follows:

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab176/vikingphoto/mr-am-4_zps852fee7a.gif

I hope that settles the matter.

ex_matelot
30th Dec 2014, 14:17
My new years resolution is...

1024/768.

Taxi!!!!

funfly
30th Dec 2014, 14:19
My own resolution is to stop writing rubbish on pPrune, will undoubtedly break it within a few days.

Btw, that equation looked impressive.

FF

Mr Optimistic
30th Dec 2014, 15:32
This year I am resolved to show some true grit so accordingly hereby state that I sha
L finally give up trying to give up smoking. Full stop. There, said it, feel better already.

Super VC-10
30th Dec 2014, 17:29
Same as every year.

"I hereby resolve, every month, to try at least one new beer*, that to the best of my knowledge, I've never had before." :ok:

*"beer" includes lager and cider. :cool:

victor tango
30th Dec 2014, 18:29
Mine would be ;
Trying to teach women to leave the seat UP!

Rosevidney1
30th Dec 2014, 18:43
Good luck with than one, Victor Tango!

rgbrock1
30th Dec 2014, 19:29
Very simple Henry? Maybe for you that equation is simple but I got a migraine just looking at it and then after trying to decipher the obvious Egyptian hieroglyphics they contain, my brain exploded.

Two plus two equals four.

Four plus four equals eight.

Eight plus eight equals something a bit larger.

Xenophon
30th Dec 2014, 19:50
My New Year Resolution, as always, is to make no New Year Resolutions .
Does this qualify as a Paradox ??

wings folded
30th Dec 2014, 19:52
well, henry, perhaps you are better at algebra than detecting nuances of the meanings of words.

(I have omitted lines 2,3,5,6 from my explanation, to keep it simple :p)

G-CPTN
30th Dec 2014, 20:01
I would have worked that very simple piece of algebra in far fewer lines, omitting lines 2,3,5,6.
Sometimes it is important to show your working to demonstrate that you didn't copy the answer from your neighbour (or rely on memory).

BlueWolf
30th Dec 2014, 20:30
Two philosophers walk into a bar.

......or - do they?

I resolve to find out.

Sir George Cayley
30th Dec 2014, 20:58
Nice bit of cross multiplication there WF.

The only thing I want to resolve is the war between Islam and Christianity.

SGC

Hydromet
30th Dec 2014, 20:58
At age 12 I would have worked that very simple piece of algebra in far fewer lines, omitting lines 2,3,5,6.

I really don't understand why elementary school math should be specified as a New Year Resolution.

Am I missing something here?

Henry, it's obvious. At age 12, WF would have solved that equation. Now, he's re-solved it, and obtained a re-solution.

probes
30th Dec 2014, 21:05
ok, I'll try to be more resolute, then. :8

wings folded
31st Dec 2014, 12:41
SGC

The only thing I want to resolve is the war between Islam and Christianity.
That should only take a morning. For the rest of the week, could you resolve how to get my number taken off the lists of people who want to assist me with my PPI claim?

G-CPTN
31st Dec 2014, 18:18
Me too!
Very early in my career (when still a lowly design draughtsman) I was asked to consider a scheme whereby staking of a brake pedal shaft to retain it was to be replaced by circlip grooves.
I prepared my calculations, asked "What safety factor?" - which was met with total puzzlement, then showed that the proposal would result in bending of the shaft when subjected to the expected maximum load.
The proposal was shelved, and I was never asked to use my university engineering skills again.

airship
31st Dec 2014, 18:32
ex_matelot wrote: My new years resolution is...

1024/768.

My own is 1920*1080...?! Whatever, hope you're well and may the Force be with you...?! ;)

Blacksheep
1st Jan 2015, 11:02
My resolution is to try hard to still be here on January 1st 2016.

I'm just trying out the new Photobucket App that gathers all my photos in one place and gives me an easy way to copy the link.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/689124/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-05/B12E052A-2DF9-40DB-8B6B-44E2DC4D2166_1.jpg

Well, that works a treat and so much easier than the old site.

That's me on the extreme right of the band, next to the Commer van. Over 18, but still too young to vote in 1966.

Flykate1
1st Jan 2015, 13:01
This year, I vow to stop brazenly flirting with any of the following :
1. Good Looking Boys in the Flight Deck
2. Beyond Wealthy Passengers in my First Class Cabin.
In addition to this, I also vow to stop taking said flirtatious behaviour to the next step and the step beyond that. This again applies to :
1. Good Looking fellow crew members. No more bunk romping. No more hotel room invites.
2. Beyond Wealthy Passengers. No more Ph Number taking and gift receiving (arghhh).
So whilst I will work hard at achieving my 2015 New Years Resolution, I should mention that I have had the exact same New Years Resolution ever since 1999.
Weak willed, I have yet to fulfil this resolution with most years seeing me break it by the end of January. Maybe this year I will try to make it all the way to March.
Its a improvement and anyway....at least I am trying! :ugh:
(Note : Anyone taking offense at my post, don't blame me!!! I blame ALL of my actions on years of working in a artificial environment and at abnormal altitudes. Plus I believe the airlines secretly add some type of libido enhancing powder to the crew meals and therefore I have no control over anything that happens in either the crew bunks, layovers, or when faced with mega wealth in my cabin. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Blacksheep
1st Jan 2015, 14:23
As the years fly by, the problem will fix itself, Kate. Trust me on this. ;)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/689124/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-01/EF49B16E-BFA6-4551-BE6C-F629FD7367D2.jpg

dazdaz1
1st Jan 2015, 15:14
My resolution is to trade in my top of the range Peugeot 207cc People on this site suggested it's a "girlie car" others have hinted "hair dresser car" having said that, other members on this site have sent me supportive PMs suggesting I'm a 'cult' supporting the 207 I think that's what they said.

So my macho side will be released in 2015 Fiat 500 that's the car for me:ok:

West Coast
1st Jan 2015, 18:03
To drink more water and eat more citrus. Wierd yes, but if you've passed a kidney stone, you'll understand the desire to not pass another and to do exactly what the doc says will help minimize the chance.

Donkey497
1st Jan 2015, 22:44
I will walk at least 1000 miles this year, care less what people think of me and look out solely for no.1, as I have now been dumped on from on high a sufficient number of times.

Fliegenmong
2nd Jan 2015, 09:21
Hmm......resolutions....eh?

Non legally binding suggestions to ones self.....

I'll stop socially smoking with my otherwise super fit gym friends?:confused:

Drink less!!! Drink far far less!!! That's a must do!!! :=

Get back into soaring! :ok:

Learn a classical piece on Piano :confused:

Lose more weight :hmm: