PDA

View Full Version : UK Trading Standards Q

dazdaz1
30th Dec 2014, 13:31
Bought one of those energy saving tubes for the bathroom May 2013 On the box it stated 15 years (I presume guarantee) anyway, failed to illuminate today so I took it back (with original packaging and receipt to *&* asked for a replacement.

"Sorry Sir we only cover it for 12 months the guarantee is from the manufacturer you will have to send it to them for replacement"

So back home, looked on the back of the packaging, Hungary!!!!!! I give up bought a new one 11 Do you think the store was right?

Daz

Sallyann1234
30th Dec 2014, 13:49
If that 'tube' was any form of fluorescent then the claim of 15 years is ridiculous.
I'll leave it to the legally qualified to determine whether the retailer can be held to the printing on the box.

west lakes
30th Dec 2014, 14:02
On the box it stated 15 years

I would suggest that is average life in perfect conditions

wings folded
30th Dec 2014, 14:08
Like, never being turned on?

west lakes
30th Dec 2014, 14:14
Like, never being turned on? Possibly.
or, only ever being switch on once, stable temperature, stable voltage sort of stuff.

I recently bought 3 led 10,000 hr average lights. 3 of them failed after a short time, the remaining one is still working fine, but they were cheap from the internet which might give a clue

Capetonian
30th Dec 2014, 14:19
I bought a couple of the new fangled 'low energy' globes for my study. The maker was 'Paulmann', a German make and as they were the largest size (20w=86w), they were relatively expensive.

They had a 5 year 'guarantee' so when one failed after a couple of months I went to the store who wanted a receipt. Who keeps a receipt for a couple of light bulbs and sundries like a packet of screws?

Wrote to the local oiks who ignored the letter, rang the head office in Germany and three days later I had a packet of three replacements in the post from them.

wings folded
30th Dec 2014, 14:37
I am getting through ecological light bulbs like there was no tomorrow. They seem to last a month or two. My lekky circuity has not changed in the interim.

For each bulb I apparently save a few watts, but only by turning on the light twenty minutes before I need it so that it dishes out slightly more lumens than a rather poorly and unambitious glow worm.

I have always disposed of dud bulbs in accordance with recycling principles.

Next time, I will not take my batch to the local recycling centre, but pour the lot on the doorsteps of the prats in Brussels who imposed these bloody things upon us.

chevvron
30th Dec 2014, 15:05
I've changed most of my cfls(compact flourescents) for LEDs as they have zero warmup time, however I still have some light fittings for which low energy bulbs are not made eg in-cupboard striplights and cooker hood lights.
The only failure I've had was a cfl R80 downlight replacement (23 watts instead of 100) which failed after about 6 years, trouble is they've stopped making them now so I can't replace it so I've had to replace all 4 lights with halogens which require more wattage for the same light output.

Saintsman
30th Dec 2014, 15:35
Daz,

The shop is fobbing you off. The sale of goods act covers this and your contract is with them and not the manufacturer. If the device does not last a 'reasonable' time then you have a case (I don't think that they can really argue). Up to 6 years for most items, though you may have to prove that it was defective when you bought it.

You would think that companies would know the law with regard to sale of goods, but far too many don't and you need to be firm and stick to your guns. Whether it's worth the agro for a bulb is another matter though...

dazdaz1
30th Dec 2014, 15:55
Saintsman

Just for the fun of it (I have the time) going to send it to Hungary. I hope Gaggle translate is up to speed for my enclosed letter.

I understand having to pay (not too sure) for a new light bulb/neon thing, What concerns me, is the thousands of other people who have been mislead by packaging claims.

ChrisVJ
30th Dec 2014, 16:09
There was a thread on a forum I visit about this.

The import was that , while the shop may be liable, if you approach the manufacturer the shop gets off the hook.

It was a photographic forum and some of the packaging on photo goods these days asks you to send complaints and enquiries directly to the manufacturer but that, in itself, does not relieve the shop of liability.

vulcanised
30th Dec 2014, 16:36
IIRC there is an EU ruling that electronic (and possibly electrical) goods must have a minimum 2-year retail warranty.

dazdaz1
30th Dec 2014, 16:59
Thanks Vulcan and all other replies. The EU 'rings a bell'

cockney steve
30th Dec 2014, 20:19
Ah, but, Mr Crun, were everybody to take that attitude, the thieves and vagabonds among traders and manufacturers would multiply , unhindered by morals, ethics or Law.
Only by taking a stand, can one force the miscreants to reallise it's cheaper to deliver an honestly described product.

Many years ago, Woolworths (that was F.W.Woolworth:8 ) used to sell lightbulbs which had packaging proclaiming "BS xxxx"...which standard specified an average 1.000 hour life. I bought, many failed, I returned them, stated my case,obtained a refund :)
It helps me to understand the appeal of shark-fishing :}

30th Dec 2014, 23:23
IIRC there is an EU ruling that electronic (and possibly electrical) goods must have a minimum 2-year retail warranty.

Not quite correct.
There is an EU directive (1999/44/EC) but all this states is that retailers can be held liable for faulty goods for up to 2 years. This directive wasn't implemented in the UK as we already have the Sale of goods act which makes retailers liable for up to 6 years.

This doesn't mean that all goods must last 6 years as this time can vary depending on many factors such as type of item, price paid etc.
If you try claiming more than 6 months after purchase, the retailer has the right to ask you to prove that the fault was due to a manufacturing defect.