PDA

View Full Version : OVERLORD or Halcyon?????

victor tango
29th Dec 2014, 12:04
By now most folk would have heard about the Antiques Roadshow revelations about D-Day.
A fascinating subject and you can view it on their website.

Connected to that there is something I never quite came to terms with viz;
I'm sure the intelligence people had fears of spies which prompted this, and that was the revelations in a Daily Telegraph crossword. It had an answer of overlord, which in my opinion is not an every day word. Coincidence?
Maybe, but to have other D-Day words such as Juno or Sword to my mind is taking coincidence way too far.

uffington sb
29th Dec 2014, 12:09
A bit like the TG Special shipping all the way to Argentina, a car with the reg of H982 FKL and no one noticing the significance of said reg. :ugh:

ORAC
29th Dec 2014, 14:21
I'm sure the intelligence people had fears of spies which prompted this, and that was the revelations in a Daily Telegraph crossword. It had an answer of overlord, which in my opinion is not an every day word. Coincidence? No, it came out a few years back - from someone with a guilty conscience.

The clues were submitted by a schoolmaster who took suggestions from his pupils - who obtained the codewords from American and Canadian soldiers and thought it was amusing to get them put in the paper. (http://tywkiwdbi.********.co.uk/2012/06/d-day-code-words-revealed-in-british.html).....