PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions

meadowrun
27th Dec 2014, 20:57
No, No, No, I do not believe in them. I don't hold no truck with them.

I just never say the "C" word because no one really has a defense against it and as a wise person once sang - "Just sayin it could even make it happen". Just a coincidence that it is my astrological sign, but luckily I don't believe in superstitions, so, don't believe in star signs or their baggage either.

Fate just happens.

Juliet Sierra Papa
27th Dec 2014, 21:01
Absolutely meadowrun, don't believe either. Must dash the clock is striking 12, might turn into a p...................

Sop_Monkey
27th Dec 2014, 21:45
Depends if you're superstitious I think. If you are, then you are maybe influenced. Here is an example. In certain areas of the world, a person could have the highest medical qualifications one could ever have but still be influenced by a witch doctor. Why? Because they believe in that "black" magic.

421dog
27th Dec 2014, 21:58
Dunno about that, but I have this overwhelming feeling of dread when someone tells me that "it's been quiet"...

jimtherev
27th Dec 2014, 22:04
"Too quiet!"
SwooshTHUD

"INDIANS!!!"

innuendo
27th Dec 2014, 23:34
Never say "Shank" near or on a golf course.

Mechta
27th Dec 2014, 23:41
http://izquotes.com/quotes-pictures/quote-i-don-t-believe-in-astrology-i-m-a-sagittarius-and-we-re-skeptical-arthur-c-clarke-38015.jpg

11Fan
28th Dec 2014, 00:04
Never say "Shank" near or on a golf course.

Or wash your ball on a water hole.

421dog
28th Dec 2014, 01:02
that play...

con-pilot
28th Dec 2014, 01:14
I use to play golf at a club that had no sand traps, but a lot and I mean a lot of water hazards.

It had two 18 hole courses and on the number one hole of both courses there were large ponds guarding the green.

On my first shot from the tee box I always hit a ball into the pond, to appease the water hazard god.

Would that have been a superstition?

Didn't always work. :(

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Dec 2014, 05:47

Particularly in Africa. Some of the water hazards are real hazards, inhabited by flat dogs. Some joker was quagged a couple of weeks ago doing just that, IIRC.

Pinky the pilot
28th Dec 2014, 05:53
Some of the water hazards are real hazards, inhabited by flat dogs. Some joker was quagged a couple of weeks ago doing just that, IIRC.

So one should also have a SMLE 303 in the golf club bag next to the sand wedge, SRT?:D

LordGrumpy
28th Dec 2014, 05:59
Good morning Mr Twotter: a new adjective quagged?
When crocodile teeth; have the victim snagged.
Human hunter has revenge: shoes, when croc gets bagged.

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Dec 2014, 06:57
A colloquialism found among some Rhodies, Yer Lordship. Spot on with the description, but can also refer to something stolen.

No 5 jungle carbine would be one's firearm of choice for close range work around flat dogs, Mr Pinky. Saw a 9mm round bounce off the bony plate between the eyes once. Must have given him a bit of a headache, and a croc with a headache is probably less reasonable than is their usual wont.

tony draper
28th Dec 2014, 10:01
Never take a pee inside a electricity sub station.:=

Exascot
28th Dec 2014, 11:00
Further to SRT's post. That particular deceased idiot was diving for lost golf balls. The croc surfaced some time later with him still in its jaws.

I never walk under a ladder even if I put it up and there is no one up there :confused:

Plenty of witch doctors around here - me, big white witch doctor is busy doing an apprenticeship so look out folks :E

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Dec 2014, 11:03
I'd pay good money to see you in the traditional hedgehog skin loincloth with your undies on your head, Mr Ascot...:}

Buster Hyman
28th Dec 2014, 11:20
It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Sir George Cayley
28th Dec 2014, 11:44
I don't step on cracks in the pavement (side walk) in case a bear is waiting around the corner to eat me.:eek:

So far my efforts have been successful :ok:

SGC

funfly
28th Dec 2014, 15:20
I always throw my nail clippings onto the back lawn to prevent elephants getting in and so far we have never seen an elephant in our back garden so I know it works.

Sop_Monkey
28th Dec 2014, 16:01
When I used to visit Russia I never taxied into a puddle on a taxiway as I wasn't sure how deep it was. Now that is not superstition but common sense. :}

sitigeltfel
28th Dec 2014, 16:58
I have never yet found myself in a situation where I have succumbed to superstition (touch wood).

Dan Gerous
28th Dec 2014, 19:43
When I worked in the Middle East or visit sandy bits, whenever I open a bottle or can of any kind of drink, I always give the desert some.

Could never bring myself to dispose of pictures of people I knew, just in case they suffered a misfortune. In the digi age, I can't bring myself to delete them, that actually sounds even worse.

Rossian
28th Dec 2014, 20:33
.....when you've finally finished them you MUST poke the spoon through the bottom of the shell thus rendering them useless to witches as a boat.

My Granny told me that, so it MUST be true; I told my daughter and she has passed it on to my grandaughter.

I saw her do it this morning at breakfast and had a little smile to myself - oral tradition works.

The Ancient Mariner

Pinky the pilot
29th Dec 2014, 09:53
No 5 jungle carbine would be one's firearm of choice for close range work around flat dogs, Mr Pinky

I have two Jungle Carbines in my collection SRT but should I ever make it over your way I'm sure that we'll be able to find an example of one there!:ok: And probably in better condition than the ones I have.:O

Regarding superstitions; Back in my teens and early 20's when I was a smoker, it was regarded as extremely poor form to light more that two cigarettes off the one match. If you lit three, the match had to be broken in two once extinguished.:ooh:

And we never ever lit four or more off the one match.:=

And actually, there was a sound reason for the original rule. WW1 trench warfare originated!:=

rgbrock1
29th Dec 2014, 12:21
11Fan wrote:

Wash your balls on a water hole? Gee, 11Fan, can't you wait 'til you get home? :}:E

Exascot
29th Dec 2014, 13:28
Funfly You are absolutely correct. I always cut my nails sitting outside on the lawn. Three elephants passed by two days ago (absolute truth). And, they didn't come into the garden :ok: Now I know why and all thanks to a nail my kingdom of bananas were saved!

mikedreamer787
29th Dec 2014, 15:50
In the movie The Memphis Belle one mid gunner chucked out the other mid gunner's Saint Whatsisname medal. The guy was blubbering he's finished with his medal gone (the mission was Bremen) but the radio op gave him his lucky rubber band and said it really works.

I wonder what was going through his head. On the one hand having his Saint's medal would've meant somehow God or someone was looking after him. On the other a rubber band? What...the rubber band manufacturer was looking out for his ass?

Then I saw in another about pissing on a tent peg before the mission saved you from getting hit by flak, but in the end it didn't work.

In real life a saw a vid of a bloke saying how a certain crew played an Inkspots song over and over for hours on end which would guarantee them coming home. One guy from another crew had had a gutful and promptly got up and smashed the record to pieces. He never came back from his next mission over Munster.

During wartime in a real all-out shooting match I guess you can't blame combatants having superstitions.

Ogre
30th Dec 2014, 01:48
I like to think I come from a pretty serious engineering background, always check things twice, plan ahead in case of contingencies, ensure that all the possible mitigations have been put in place to ensure that the probability of a hazard has been reduced as much as possible,

However, I never express an opinion that things are going well, that such and such hasn't happened, or in any way question the progress of a task because I am convinced that mentioning an unlucky or unfortunate event will make it happen.

I'm also of the opinion that every aircraft has a soul, which appears to be a ridiculous thing to say in the light of day but after working on some jets that always seemed to have a wicked sense of humour I learnt that some of them needed to be appeased in order to get the job done unharmed.....

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Dec 2014, 07:40
I have two Jungle Carbines in my collection SRT but should I ever make it over your way I'm sure that we'll be able to find an example of one there! And probably in better condition than the ones I have.

Sadly Mr Pinky, many collections here have been decimated by the hoop jumping and outrageous requirements inflicted on the law abiding by govt, while allowing the criminal element almost unfettered leeway in order to pursue their nefarious purpose.

Not a superstition, more a rule of thumb in that anything these clowns touch is pretty much guaranteed to turn to shit.:(