PDA

View Full Version : hot'n'spicy tea

probes
27th Dec 2014, 13:28
as it's kinda-culinary around here anyway - a good recipe for real spicy tea? I had a couple of cups in a cafe (:)), but didn't ask what they put in there. OK, ginger and rosepepper and star anise... but it's still not 'that' :sad: Bin experimenting for over a month now, I guess. So, what else? Lemon grass?

Any suggestions welcome.

om15
27th Dec 2014, 14:03
Cinnamon seems to be the common ingredient, supposed to be very calming, although I favour Tanglefoot myself, you could try this recipe,

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-nice-spiced-tea-chai/

mixture
27th Dec 2014, 14:09
a good recipe for real spicy tea?

Hot'n'spicy as in "ring of fire" spicy ? Or hot'n'spicy as in "sugar and all things nice" and hot as a thermal measure of water temperature ?

perantau
27th Dec 2014, 14:28
try cardamom

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Dec 2014, 15:11
I drink Celestial Seasonings 'Bengal Spice'
The ingredients are (no surprises given previous posts)
Cinnamon, roasted chicory, roasted carob, ginger, cardamom, black pepper, cloves and nutmeg.

p.s. this is a bit too spicy for more than 2 cups a day - I'd start with no black pepper then increase to taste.

probes
27th Dec 2014, 16:31
Bengal ring of fire, I guess :ok:

.....................................................ok, thanks and I'll try some. https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIVQ_AMgYry1wFzMZ_3epJ5KmIHIXhZYFyiZYzDPx rCN-F--c4

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Dec 2014, 18:43
Bloke who makes my chai masala tells me the traditional spice is made from cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper, all finely ground. I use an amount about half the size of the nail on your little finger, just the tip of a teaspoon per cup.

con-pilot
27th Dec 2014, 19:07
I drink Celestial Seasonings 'Bengal Spice'

We drink that as well, usually at night before going to bed because there is no caffeine in the tea.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
27th Dec 2014, 19:54
Thanks SRT - do you happen to know the proportions of his mix?

Con-pilot: Me too, I like their Tension Tamer (that's what they call it, not what I need) flavor before bed.

My personal tea quest is to replicate the Jackson's of Piccadilly Russian Caravan tea. They changed the recipe when Twinings took over Jackson's, and it isn't half as good. Twining's won't tell anyone as (a) commercial in confidence and (b) don't want to admit they've reduced the quality.

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Dec 2014, 20:15
No idea, Mr Banana. Might be worth starting with equal portions and adjusting to taste. I usually spike mine with a bit of ground clove and a fair bit of ground cardamom to adjust it for my own palate.