PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Rice

haughtney1
26th Dec 2014, 14:54
Yes yes I know, you are going to answer..the bought variety...

Not my usual place to ask, but does anyone have a simple uncomplicated metod of producing lovely fluffy Rice? All my efforts seem to result in a sticky burnt mess...ND then there's the rice! Arrrghhh! Anyone?

LGW Vulture
26th Dec 2014, 15:01
Rice cooker.

Simples.:rolleyes:

Burnie5204
26th Dec 2014, 15:08
Uncle Benn's boil in the bag long grain....

Rossian
26th Dec 2014, 15:20
.....1 - Boil kettle
2 - Put boiling water in pan, addd salt
3 - Measure out the amount of rice you need for peeps to be fed. LONG GRAIN wot 'ennery sed NOT pudding round grain rice
4 - Pour rice into boiling water, stir to stop it clumping
5 - put lid on pan and turn heat down to simmer, set timer for ten minutes
6 - at 9 mins lift lid and taste one or two grains
7 - Ready to taste? Drain rice in a seive and place on pan and leave to steam for a few mins.
8 - Serve.

Has worked for me for the past 60 years.

Cooking (anything/anyhow)requires that you keep an eye on what you're doing. Cooking is organisation first and foremost and tasting as you go.
If you leave my plot above at step 4 and nip into pprune "just for a minute or two" you WILL find "a burnt mess" when you go back after 30 mins.

The Ancient Mariner

PS I started early when my mother went back to work as the night sister in a local hospital. My father was the last of the Victorian era who couldn't cook and couldn't fix anything. She decided that there was NO chance of my Dad learning to cook so she skipped a generation and taught me. I made some horrible concoctions which Dad ate without complaint as he knew he couldn't do better. Mum corrected my errors so that it was OK the next time. For that I'm eternally grateful and made bloody sure MY kids learned to cook and now I'm teaching my grandchildren a vital life skill.

goudie
26th Dec 2014, 15:29
1 pt Basmati rice 2 pt water. Place in bowl. Run a trickle of cooking oil round the inside of bowl. Add pinch of salt. Microwave until all water absorbed, stand for a minute, fluff up with fork, serve. Works everytime.

FlyingFinancier
26th Dec 2014, 15:31
Long grain / basmati rice. Measure out what you're going to use in a cup, then rinse vigorously in a sieve to get the starch off it. Warm a knob of butter in a big saucepan on the hob and add the rice, turning it over. Put in the same volume of water from the cup, salt as required, put a well- fitting lid on. Leave it to cook at 1/4 heat for 5 minutes ((from when it starts steaming), turn down to low (minimum) for 10 minutes, then turn it off and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes. At no point take the lid off ('to check') until all this is done. Turn over with a fork, it's done.

radeng
26th Dec 2014, 15:34
Avoid like the plague 'part cooked' rice. Straightforward Basmati rice works well for me. Use twice as much water as rice, perhaps plus 5%. Clement Freud advised twice as much water as rice, a little salt and cook for ten minutes.

I have found that when you have a glutinous sticky (but not burnt) mass of rice, washing the mess with boiling water helps retrieve the situation..

>Cooking (anything/anyhow)requires that you keep an eye on what you're doing.<

That applies to lot of things.......

Chris P Bacon
26th Dec 2014, 15:35
Agree with Gourdie. This method has worked for me for many years, with no failures.

fleigle
26th Dec 2014, 16:35
If you don't want sticky rice you need to wash the grains in cold water about five times, until the water remains fairly clear, then do your usual thing and enjoy it.
I learned that trick while working in Japan.
Happy/Merry to you all.
f

con-pilot
26th Dec 2014, 16:52
I use the basic, time proven method of cooking rice. Of course as others have posted, only use long grain rice, I use Jasmine rice from Thailand.

Standard measurement is 1 part rice, two parts water. Depending on what you want to serve the rice with, you can substitute chicken stock for the water. One key to not burning the rice is to use a heavy pot to cook the rice in.

Put the water/stock into the pot, bring to a boil, stir in rice, put the lid* on, turn the heat to its lowest level and cook for 20 minutes. After cooking, remove lid, stir with a fork and serve.

Do not lift the lid of the pot while the rice is cooking, ever.

*Must be a tight fitting lid.

probes
26th Dec 2014, 16:53
Goudie! What a disgrace, microwave for Basmati rice! :sad:

Otherwise what FlyingFinancier said. Butter is optional, and time may vary, the main thing is rinsing and not lifting the lid, told a friend of mine who was taught by a Thai woman who knew what she was talking about. So she said.

421dog
26th Dec 2014, 17:15
Any decent fuzzy logic rice cooker will turn out great rice.

If you wash the rice until it's clean of external starch in cold water, it won't stick together, but it's harder to eat with chopsticks...

Echo the recommendation for Basmati. A few bits of saffron make it smell wonderful, and smell authentic.

Checkboard
26th Dec 2014, 17:19
Scented rice - Basmati, Jasmine, Thai scented - I use the absorption method to preserve the scent, fluff and let steam at the end.

I use Rossian's method for plain boiled/steamed rice.

gemma10
26th Dec 2014, 17:37
And a spanish tip for perfect yellow rice. Place 10 strands of saffron in a warm glass of milk and leave for an hour until bright yellow. Add to rice whilst cooking and stir :ok:

con-pilot
26th Dec 2014, 18:10
And a spanish tip for perfect yellow rice. Place 10 strands of saffron in a warm glass of milk and leave for an hour until bright yellow. Add to rice whilst cooking and stir

Thank you, I'm going to try that. :ok:

wings folded
26th Dec 2014, 19:39
If you boil rice in a lot of water, you chuck away anything good which was in the rice with the cooking liquor. You're left with fibre for assisting the matins routine, and that's about it.

Con-pilot and others have the right idea, twice as much H2O as rice, and let it absorb.

And con is right also: do not get too curious and go and have a look to see how it is doing. Leave it alone. Have an aperitif, shag the housemaid, walk the dog, do whatever causes the lowest loss of merit points in your household, but leave the sodding rice alone

Checkboard
26th Dec 2014, 19:48
If you boil rice in a lot of water, you chuck away anything good which was in the rice with the cooking liquor.
This assumes that the rice does not take up water, but gives up nutrients (not that it has much - carbs, a little fibre, a touch of calcium and some iron Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Rice, white, long-grain, regular, cooked (http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5712/2) )
... and gives them ALL up, at that.

wings folded
26th Dec 2014, 19:52
No it doesn't. Of course rice takes up water, otherwise it would come as hard as it went in. But it also leaks certain of its few virtues into the cooking water. So by doing the absorption method, you at least keep whatever you started with.

con-pilot
26th Dec 2014, 20:07
Checkboard, I used to cook rice in the method you proscribe, chuck a bunch of rice into a pot full of boiling water and then after it is cooked, strain the rice out.

However, the difference in taste between the two methods in is night and day, with my current method being the far superior, at least in my opinion.

But to each his own. :ok:

wings folded
26th Dec 2014, 20:07
I'd never dare call the housemaid a "burnt lump"

con-pilot
26th Dec 2014, 20:14
I'd never dare call the housemaid a "burnt lump"

:D:D.....................

Checkboard
26th Dec 2014, 20:17
I agree Con :ok:

That's why I use the absorption method for scented rice - but the boil method when I just want hassle-free, no measure boiled rice (because the flavour will come from what goes on top of it ;) )

con-pilot
26th Dec 2014, 20:22
I had a rice cooker.

But I threw it out, it kept burning the rice. Well maybe not 'burning', perhaps that is too harsh a term, but the rice on the bottom would be brown and stick to the bottom of the rice cooker.

Then again, it was real cheap.

pigboat
26th Dec 2014, 20:52
Here ya go. Chuck it in a pot with a couple cups of water, boil for 10 minutes and Viola!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7Mee3oQglBZSDU5199NIkVfpGiHlOCe8qud_mEuk bWlkTtK_cCA

GrumpyOldFart
26th Dec 2014, 21:23
and Viola!

Served with its own musical accompaniment, eh?

:E

con-pilot
26th Dec 2014, 21:33
Here ya go. Chuck it in a pot with a couple cups of water, boil for 10 minutes and Viola!

Julia Child would rise from her grave and filet me with a rusty can opener. :uhoh:

obgraham
26th Dec 2014, 22:27
I like my rice just a tad sticky. A Chinese lady showed me what I'd been doing wrong. So:

CalRose (Medium grain) rice. 1 cup,into pan.
Rinse 3 times
Add cold water, 1.5 times the rice volume. 1.5 cups.
Heat it all up till it boils one minute.
Switch to simmer burner on lowest heat setting.
Set timer 20 minutes. Do not remove lid.
At the ding, give it a good fluffing, and eat.

Never fails. Don't need no stinkin' rice cooker.

pigboat
27th Dec 2014, 04:59
Served with its own musical accompaniment, eh?
I am an avid student of Red Green. ;)

Pinky the pilot
27th Dec 2014, 07:16
Julia Child would rise from her grave and filet me with a rusty can opener.

I really wish I had not read that!:eek: The mental image that flashed into my brain will give me nightmares!!!!:ugh::ugh:

Con-pilot; Nogat sem bilong yu??:eek::=:D I will have to have at least two single malts just to get over the shock!:} And yes!! I will add an ice block or two!:p

But seriously folks....:D I bought a top of the range Rice cooker yonks ago and have always had near perfect rice from it.:ok:

At the Gliding business in Hokkaido Japan that I work at for three months per year, the rice cooker is the most used kitchen utensil in the accommodation block!:ok:

And a spanish tip for perfect yellow rice. Place 10 strands of saffron in a warm glass of milk and leave for an hour until bright yellow. Add to rice whilst cooking and stir

Thank you! Will also try myself.:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Dec 2014, 07:52
Saffer (Dutch/Indonesian) recipe for yellow rice is to fry a teaspoon of turmeric in a little peanut oil and a small knob of butter to release the flavours. Add the rice and fry for a few minutes then add water and a pinch of salt. Throw in a handful of raisins and cook as you would any other long grain rice.

You end up with a fragrant, slightly sweet rice which goes well with curries.

Helol
27th Dec 2014, 08:42
To stop rice sticking to the pan, stir immediately after putting rice into pan, and continue stirring. That's all there is to it.

Tu.114
27th Dec 2014, 09:25
I think the trick is to keep it simple.

Boil a large amount of water with a bit of salt. While You wait, rinse the rice. When the water is boiling, switch off the heat but leave the pot on the hot plate. Add the rice, stir a tiny bit, close the lid and wait for 12 minutes.

Then pour the contents of the pot through a sieve. Fill the pot with cold water to rinse out the remaining rice, pour it through the same sieve again.

Allow the water to drip off from the sieve for some seconds, then serve.

This method works perfectly for Basmati and other finely-grained sorts; risotto or other more "rounded" species might take 13 or 14 minutes.

probes
27th Dec 2014, 10:13
boiling or cooking in bags can't be healthy. Think about what bags are made of, and then you heat them to make it worse.

probes
27th Dec 2014, 10:23
I got eight bags of rice, I'm gonna use eight bags of rice. You want different you come and eddicate me.
sure, if I'd cook them, I'd remove the bags before boiling. :8

wings folded
27th Dec 2014, 11:24
Can't use it yet, have lots of Maris Pipers to use first.

Nice diversification of topic.

Comments, please, on best potatoes.

I'll offer (avoiding obviously Jersey spuds, too easy that one):

King Edwards
Ormskirks
Allians

just to get started.

(I have never fully understood the Idaho red)

haughtney1
27th Dec 2014, 11:34
To kick off the spud spinoff, I'm gonna say "the kind that makes wodka!"

probes
27th Dec 2014, 12:10
http://www.tuckertaters.com/images/all_potatoes.jpg

well - I like them yellow and non-plasticky in consistency (real rarity these days), and I boil them unpeeled and unwashed (as little water as possible, of course. Better if it all vaporises during the process). Although I peel them before they reach the plates of the male members of the family, as part of the compromise of me insisting on boiling them the way I want to.

The purple potato-mash looks interesting, too, I have to admit, though.

wings folded
27th Dec 2014, 12:21
Them on the left are vitelottes

Checkboard
27th Dec 2014, 12:26
It constantly annoys me that your average UK supermarket refuses to place the variety name on their potatoes. :mad:

They are all just sold as "Baking potatoes" or "White potatoes". :*

Best site I have found to describe potato varieties:

http://www.ajallan.com/index.php/varieties

probes
27th Dec 2014, 12:27
and 'green apples', 'yellow apples' and 'red apples' :8 :*

Yamagata ken
27th Dec 2014, 12:33
Wash rice. Place rice in rice cooker. Add water (to twice the depth of the rice). Press 'on'. Job jobbed. If you are draining water, then you are using too much. Rice will take up precicely twice its own depth, and be perfectly hydrated.

wings folded
27th Dec 2014, 12:37
It constantly annoys me that your average UK supermarket refuses to place the variety name on their potatoes.

If you can't grow them yourself, buy them off a spud grower, not a FTSE corporation.

mixture
27th Dec 2014, 13:42
haughtney1,

One does wonder about the culinary abilities of some people here, especially the ahem-cough lazy people who consider rice from a bag to be acceptable !

Its really not rocket science to cook rice and it really doesn't need faffing about, all you do is :

1/ Rice in pot
2/ Cover with water to a height of rice plus 1cm (roughly... err on the side of slightly more, you can always drain excess until you learn)
3/ Lid on, hob on highest setting, bring to boil
4/ Once boiling point reached, hob to lowest setting (or second to lowest depending on hob)
5/ Forget about it for 15-20 minutes, the rice will have absorbed all the water and left you with nice fluffy rice.

Works .. every.. single ... time !

Now, if you want to be a bit special, you can rinse the excess starch off the rice beforehand, but that's strictly optional in "Western" countries.

P.S. Christmas bonus, if you want to watch a decent rice related film, I suggest Jiro Dreams of Sushi .... :cool:

mixture
27th Dec 2014, 13:57
But it also leaks certain of its few virtues into the cooking water. So by doing the absorption method, you at least keep whatever you started with.

Instead of worrying about leaking "nutrients" in white rice into water, perhaps your time would be better spent thinking about finding more nutritious varieties of rice to eat than plain white, or focusing on the nutrient content of the foods you serve with the rice....loosing nutrients in rice is not really worth loosing sleep over.... :E

Or just make rice pudding or risottos ... in which case you eat both the rice and the liquid it was cooked in, home made chicken stock risotto base probably being a million times better for you than plain boiled rice :ok:

wings folded
27th Dec 2014, 14:17
Instead of worrying about leaking "nutrients" in white rice into water, perhaps your time would be better spent thinking about finding more nutritious varieties of rice to eat than plain white,

The only times I have ever eaten over-refined white rice have been when somebody else prepared it.

Mr Optimistic
27th Dec 2014, 14:55
Don't you have to rinse basmati? Plain easy cook stuff, as has been said, 2 parts cold water, 1 part rice, gently stir then stop, bring to boil then gently simmer in lidded pot or stick in the aga simmering oven if you are upscale like me.

pigboat
27th Dec 2014, 15:03
You are welcome Henry. Thanks for that clip, I shall call it "Music to boil rice by."
Red Green would probably call her instrument a Voila, by the way. ;)

Re spuds. Fox3 will be along shortly to expound on the best potatos, potatoes if you are a graduate of the Robert H. McKinney School of Law. PEI Russet spuds are best for baking and frying, Yukon Gold for anything else.

wings folded
27th Dec 2014, 15:04
There are two reasons for rinsing rice:

1) remove excess starch, you know, the stuff that makes it all glue together
2) remove any remaining pesticides, insecticides, fungicides or any other kind of cides

if i may be so bold as to offer advice to an Aga user. I know my place...

mixture
27th Dec 2014, 15:04
the aga simmering oven if you are upscale like me

Not sure I'd call aga "upscale" ....

I would call it a room heater disguised as something you can try to cook on. :cool:

onemac
27th Dec 2014, 17:36
1. Wash Basmati rice
2. Put rice in a tall(ish) pan and fill with cold water to the depth of your thumbnail, add salt
3. Bring to boil
4. Turn down heat to lowest setting, put lid on pan, set timer to 15 minutes and walk away
5. When timer goes off switch off heat and stir rice to separate

Ken Hom's method and it never fails.

Al

Mr Optimistic
27th Dec 2014, 20:05
Oh mixture, you can only dream. Any fool can cook easy cook rice EVEN the poor aga-less unwashed. 2 cups of water 1 ,cup of rice, boil, seal, simmer,wait until absorbed. The effete can add safron, the weak can add oil.

Fareastdriver
27th Dec 2014, 20:41
Every person in China that I know washes their rice before they cook it. Then they use a rice cooker, or a microwave. They only wash it a couple of times, otherwise it doesn't stick to chopsticks. It should go into a rice bowl, knocked down once and then turned and dropped out. The result should look like an igloo.

For Chilli where the rice is going to be mixed with other ingredients then boil in loads of water and wash with a kettle full of boiling water afterwards. That will stop it from combining into a sludge.

RodH
27th Dec 2014, 20:54
I use jasmati rice - that's equal quantities of basmati and jasmine rice.
Just use around 1-2 cups of rice , depending on how much you want when cooked .
The most important thing to do is to rinse it several times then SOAK it for at least 30 minutes before cooking , this softens the grains.
Place it in as much water as the pan will hold and it should be several times the quantity of the rice . Make sure the water level stays well above the rice , do not let the water reduce add more if necessary . Bring it to the boil and fluff it occasionally with a fork whilst cooking . Test a few grains and when nice and soft drain the rice and quickly rinse in very hot water . Fluff it up and then you will have really good soft fluffy rice.
This method was obtained from a very experienced Indian Chef.

The success of this is the SOAKING for 30 minutes .!!!!!!!!!!
:ok::ok::ok:

mixture
27th Dec 2014, 21:48
Any fool can cook easy cook rice EVEN the poor aga-less unwashed.

You're getting yourself confused old chap.

I was the one who was giving the Aga types here a hard time about their room heaters disgusted as cookware (in the loosest possible interpretation of "cook").

bcgallacher
27th Dec 2014, 21:50
What constitutes perfect rice is a variable dependent on which country the rice is being cooked. Filipino cooked rice is considerably different to Indian cooked rice for example.

mixture
27th Dec 2014, 21:57
This is PPRuNe's Jet Blast, where the bacon buttie is considered by the general run of the populace to be the zenith of mankind's culinary achievement.

Whilst I steadfastly refuse to make such a ghastly concoction myself, I have been served many and still to this day fail to see the attraction of what usually ends up being a greasy bit of cheap bacon served in a equally nasty piece of bread.

Even if it were the world's finest bacon and bread, I'm still not sure I'd understand what the fuss is about .... it just feels like a bacon buttie is a sandwich missing 99.999% of its filling !

However, a decent BLT or even BLAT dressed with a touch of wholegrain mustard and a pleasant drizzle of vinaigrette of syrupy white wine vinegar and olive oil ... mmmm.... :ok:

tdracer
27th Dec 2014, 22:28
The wife is Asian, and consumes large quantities of rice. We have a rice cooker that she uses, and she insists on Thai Jasmine rice. I'm personally not a big fan of rice (for most things I prefer potatoes or pasta). But I readily admit when I do eat rice what she prepares is quite good.
A year or so ago, the smoke leaked out of her rice cooker :sad: - she called me at work in a panic because she needed her rice fix and told me to stop on the way home and buy a new rice cooker. I told her to just prepare it on the stove - she responded she didn't know how to do that :rolleyes:.

con-pilot
27th Dec 2014, 23:24
she responded she didn't know how to do that

Now that's funny. :p

Don't worry, I won't tell on you for telling that story. ;)

Which would be rather diffcult as I don't know her.

But it does remind me about showing kids that you don't need a microwave to make popcorn.

"You can do that on a stove!" :rolleyes:

meadowrun
27th Dec 2014, 23:37
Ah, the Bacon Butty:
It is almost subliminal when crafted well. Three thick slices of finest British type bacon, a fresh bap with a smidgen of butter, sauces if you like (HP or Ketchup only) - me, just a bit of salt and a ton of pepper. I always ascend from Britain with two in my carry-on. Always sure to beat airline food. (Does not apply to North American bacon.)

For rice:
Fat Chun Wing's & Bros & Sisters & Uncle. 555-1212. Flee derively.

fleigle
28th Dec 2014, 02:49
Mixture,
You obviously have no clue as to the delights of a bacon buttie, case in point, typical N Brit weather at Croft for a motor race, cold, miserable bloody weather, a big mug of strong tea and a bacon buttie from the van..... heaven I tell you.
Now lighten the FU and have a Happy New Year.
:p:p:p
f

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Dec 2014, 07:30
Three thick slices of finest British type bacon, a fresh bap with a smidgen of butter

Only three slices, Mr Meadowrun? One didn't realise you were a vegetarian....:}

gemma10
28th Dec 2014, 07:58
And whilst we are on the subject of bacon, only bacon bought from a butcher will suffice. The prepacked crap available from supermarkets which is pumped full of water and god knows what else is quite disgusting.

radeng
28th Dec 2014, 09:13
gemma 10,

Depends. Not all butchers - my butcher has cheap Dutch bacon as well as the stuff he cures himself -that's more expensive but infinitely better.

For Mexican 'Arroz blanco', I don't wash the rice. Fry in oil until is white, pour off oil, add twice as much chicken stock, half a finely chopped onion, and on a wooden cocktail skewer, an unpeeled clove of garlic and a chili pepper - whatever you like from jalapeno to Habanero! I prefer jalapeno....I didn't wash the rice before adding it to the paella last night. For straight boiled rice, pre-washing, if not essential, is highly desirable, although it depends to some extent on the rice.

pigboat
29th Dec 2014, 19:26
Give it an extra minute, that'll cure it. ;)

obgraham
29th Dec 2014, 19:43
We have to accept that British bacon and American bacon are not the same product. Possibly not even from the same animal.

That said, if you cook that yankee bacon just right, you've got the makings of a superb sandwich.

Rossian
29th Dec 2014, 19:48
.......read the instructions on a packet of "easy cook" rice and you will find that it takes exactly the same time as ordinary Basmati. Boil in the bag?? you can't taste it to check it's right.

Almost every thing in the world "varies" so you need , absolutely MUST taste things as you go along. It's the essence of ANY cooking. It's not an exact science, so use the "fuzzy logic" device between your ears and it'll work for you too.

The Ancient Mariner

Checkboard
30th Dec 2014, 00:24
The Bacon tip that's all the rage over the last few months:

Weird Tip That Really Works: For Perfect Bacon, Add a Little Water to the Pan ? Tips from The Kitchn | The Kitchn (http://www.thekitchn.com/tip-for-perfect-bacon-add-a-little-water-to-the-pan-191595)

The water keeps the meat both moist and saves it from over-cooking, while the boiling water reaches all of the fat, and renders it.

V2-OMG!
30th Dec 2014, 02:44
I like brown rice for its texture, especially when its prepared pilaf style - gives it a wonderful nutty flavour. (Add uncooked rice to a couple of tablespoons of butter and saute until lightly browned. Then add water or chicken stock until kernels are cooked, but still have some texture).
I also like to top it with some slivers of almond.

Mr Optimistic
30th Dec 2014, 09:41
Mixture, yep they are very tricky to cook with: rapidly cool and strong thermal gradient in oven. We don't have central heating so in winter it is 100% efficient. In a heatwave it's another matter! Keeps the wife happy though, not that she cooks much

Wonderworld
30th Dec 2014, 11:24
Rice - 3 minutes in a pressure cooker then stand for 7 minutes then release remaining pressure. Fluff with fork and bingo perfect rice.

Mr Optimistic
30th Dec 2014, 13:21
Well maybe you just get used to your own efforts and think its how rice should be, or just maybe we are a big bunch of liars who won't admit to any shortcomings (not unlike some on r&n :}

airship
31st Dec 2014, 22:06
I can't help but wonder if all the Indians and Chinese who cook and eat rice on a regular and daily basis (several billions?) could have seen this thread and been bothered to reply...at least to the most ignorant of contributions to date?! Or maybe they did, but the required fonts were not available. Meanwhile, good luck to all those who have difficulty in cooking rice here. Imperfectly or otherwise. Or are too scared (or terrified by current government / media efforts) to even just say "hello" to your darker-skinned / paler-skinned neighbours, asking them for their advice on rice-cooking (if not other matters of greater import)...?!

evansb
31st Dec 2014, 22:25
Best rice cooker ever:
http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b477/gumpjr_bucket/ricecooker520.jpg

Pitot Heat
1st Jan 2015, 00:23
Hi,

Read with some amusement this thread! Some tips from a long time cook...

Failure with rice step 1: Cooking too long...makes it turn out like rice pudding and stick together as the rice absorbs all the water over time.
Failure with rice step 2: Getting rid of all the starch. Don't like your rice greasy and sticky? Not cleaning your rice enough to get rid of the gelatinous starch coating prevalent with all rice is a problem. Best way is to clean it thoroughly before you cook in a sieve over cold water, the whilst cooking repeat about 5 times - laborious and time consuming but gets very nice results.

Pitot heats recipe:

Sieve the rice as mentioned above over cold water for at least 5 minutes.
Boil enough water in the pan to cover around 1cm of rice, and then transfer the rice.

Add 1 tbsp of vegetable bouillon or any stock (not fish)
Add 1 tsp of cumin
Add 2-4 bay leaves depending on rice quantity (looking at three or four good fistfuls here)
Add 1 tsp of turmeric
Add 3-4 deseeded cloves
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil for 5-6 minutes then pour into sieve, then clean with cold water for at least 1 minute the return to pan with clean water and boil again.

Shop bought/supermarket rice may cook within 2 times of this method but decent rice will take 5 washes. Trust me, the results are excellent.

A variation on this, which I use if time is a problem is to wash the rice first, boil pan of water and then add the rice , then leave the rice, off boil, for 20 minutes. This cooks the rice slowly which prevents stickiness - not as good as the other method though.

Different rices will require different cooking times ranging from shop bought basmati at around 10 minutes to decent wild rice at around 40 minutes.

Regards,

V2-OMG!
1st Jan 2015, 05:06
Well maybe you just get used to your own efforts and think its how rice should be, or just maybe we are a big bunch of liars who won't admit to any shortcomings (not unlike some on r&n).

You mean "liars" like these?.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ69htrI0PU

parabellum
1st Jan 2015, 06:50
One cup rice, 500ml water.

Boil water and add rice, reduce heat to simmer.

Normally fifteen minutes but until all visible water gone, just.

Empty into a sieve and rinse under the hot tap for 2-3 minutes.

Have ready a kettle of boiling water, pour through cooked rice, drain and serve immediately. Fluffy rice, well separated. If you do want all the carbohydrate associated with rice, don't rinse and use a rice cooker.

Just my well tried way, also makes rice that is perfect for then making a fried rice too! :)
(On the subject of fried rice, best if the rice is cooked several hours before the frying).

Rice trivia: Almost all rice, except Basmati, expands sideways when cooked, Basmati expands lengthwise when cooked, good for a pub quiz!

evansb
1st Jan 2015, 09:06
Lovely recipes gents! Let us leave it at that!

bcgallacher
1st Jan 2015, 15:21
Evansb - we cook our rice in a Hitachi cooker with fuzzy logic and LCD display which I bought in the Narita Holiday Inn in 1990. Still performs perfectly,still looks as good as new. Hitachi makes some good stuff- ask your wife about the Magic Wand massager!

bcgallacher
1st Jan 2015, 15:26
Henry Crun - if you had ever done Hadj operations out of West Africa you would have seen just that. Also had a lady try to shit in a coffee cup in the isle. Best of all, feet marks on either side of the toilet basin which was full of excrement.