PDA

View Full Version : Merry Grav-Mass Day!

probes
25th Dec 2014, 07:55
https://stallman.org/grav-mass.png

- especially to Christmas Sceptics!
One way to celebrate Grav-Mass is to decorate a tree with apples and other fruits. Glue them or attach them, but not too well! The idea is that occasionally a fruit should fall. Put them on the tree no more than 2 feet up, so that they won't get damaged or hurt anybody when they fall. Investigating and perfecting the methods for doing this is a great way expose a child to the process of scientifically studying the behavior of the physical world.

Another way to celebrate Grav-Mass, in a group, is by telling each other about scientific knowledge and understanding, or discussing what kind of experiment could answer an unresolved question about the world.
https://stallman.org/grav-mass.html
(and I've forgotten which calender it was that says today's Newton's birthday.
Isn't it weird, one can't even be sure of their birthday? What the hell, even Christ has it celebrated twice, another for the Orthodox :E)

mikedreamer787
25th Dec 2014, 10:42
I think Newton's birthday is January 4th Probes.

or discussing what kind of experiment could answer an unresolved question about the world.

Q. Are pigs really happy wallowing in crap?

E. Get a one cubic meter container and fill it with faecal matter (the sloppier and smellier the matter the better). Then insert 1 (one) pig into the container and note whether he immediately tries to get out or stays marinating in there without complaint. Record data and consult vetinarian for analysis.

Q. How many Irishmen does it actually take to change a light bulb?

E. Obtain 1 (one) Irishman (the smarter the better) and 1 (one) stepladder. Give subject a light bulb. Instruct subject to change said bulb with one that has ceased funtioning on the ceiling of his living room. Add additional Irishmen as necessary until task successfully completed. Record results and theorise.

Tone
25th Dec 2014, 10:49
Don't want to get too pick here - but why challenge an Irishman to change a bulb with one which has ceased functioning?
Tone
(Irish)

VP959
25th Dec 2014, 11:08
Q. Are pigs really happy wallowing in crap?

E. Get a one cubic meter container and fill it with faecal matter (the sloppier and smellier the matter the better). Then insert 1 (one) pig into the container and note whether he immediately tries to get out or stays marinating in there without complaint. Record data and consult vetinarian for analysis.

Pigs, given a free choice, will stay pretty clean if they can. The family farm has kept pigs for 40 odd years, and they are both remarkably intelligent and naturally clean animals. For example, if you put pigs in a pen, then they will move the bedding material to one area and crap in the other area, keeping their bedding area clean and dry.

When outside they will make a hell of a mess, as they naturally feed on roots, so will plough up any area they are on and turn it into a mudbath, but if you look carefully you'll find they still all crap in one place if they can, root around away from that place and keep their sleeping areas as clean and dry as they can.

The problem is that naturally pigs (or their ancestors) would have roamed over a very wide area, so would not have intensively rooted around in one place for food and so wouldn't have created the muddy quagmires we now associate with pigs.

probes
25th Dec 2014, 12:08
I think Newton's birthday is January 4th Probes.
so do I, that's why I mentioned it was some other calender (I've forgotten which one) some people say. To get pretext for the 25th, I guess?
What's that faecal Xmas mood, btw? :E

as for pigs - like cows, their intelligence is underestimated, I think.

mikedreamer787
25th Dec 2014, 15:30
Your size is showing mate! :\

Ah...you corrected it. :ok: