PDA

View Full Version : Preppers....

haughtney1
23rd Dec 2014, 15:57
Preppers, lunatic fringe? Or enlightened? Strikes me as a rather American disease, but then what would I know? I grew up on a little island in the southwest Pacific.

Discuss, starter for 10, they all look nutty to me :E

Capot
23rd Dec 2014, 16:52
Gullible, VLIQ, unable to see the contradictions in what they think and do.......

As always, there are people making windfall incomes from exploiting others foolishness, and this is where the encouragement is coming from for these poor people.

West Coast
23rd Dec 2014, 17:08
You guys are victims of TV's imagination.

I would be considered a prepper in your eyes. I live in the foothils of San Diego where earthquakes and fires dictate a level of preparedness that others might not consider necessary. I have roughly a 10 day to 2 week supply of food and water split between in my motorhome and house.

In my years at this residence, I've evacuated twice for fires. The last fire had a couple hundred thousand folks on the move, so its not an idle threat and one everyone should be prepared for. Do I share anything in common with the extremes that are portrayed on the telly, no. I however am prepared as well as one should be given the threat.

Chesty Morgan
23rd Dec 2014, 17:36
I'm certain being prepared for something real isn't seen as lunatic.

con-pilot
23rd Dec 2014, 17:38
I have an extra six pack of beer stored.

Oh wait,,,,,,:\

Simplythebeast
23rd Dec 2014, 17:42
Nothing wrong with being prepared but some of those that are used for entertainment on TV are complete lunatics preparing for zombie attacks and all sorts. Make good TV I suppose.

West Coast
23rd Dec 2014, 17:49
I have an extra six pack of beer stored.

Guess I know where I'm evacuating to next fire!

Besides, I know you have some good Scotch or bourbon hidden somewhere nearby.

flying lid
23rd Dec 2014, 18:06
Americans generally never know who the REAL enemy is.

Lid

West Coast
23rd Dec 2014, 18:16
Yah, we've never had anything as consistant as neighbors like France and Germany to make us paranoid.

con-pilot
23rd Dec 2014, 19:12
Americans generally never know who the REAL enemy is.

Just those that England goes to war with, then we have to bail them out. :p

wings folded
23rd Dec 2014, 19:19
Con-pilot

Spain, Portugal, France, and I miss a few, before the USA existed? :p

Chesty Morgan
23rd Dec 2014, 19:21
Yeah, I don't think England has been at war since 1707.

When was American invented?

con-pilot
23rd Dec 2014, 19:42

Well hell, it's only 1342 right now, we still have time. :p

Fliegenmong
23rd Dec 2014, 19:50
Whatever on Earth is a 'Prepper' :confused::confused:

John Hill
23rd Dec 2014, 19:53
A 'prepper' is someone who does not shop every day.

West Coast
23rd Dec 2014, 20:00

When was American invented?

The concept of the US existed long before the country did, your lot didn't seem to like the idea of freedom in those days. You had to be taught.

Fliegenmong
23rd Dec 2014, 20:07
Uh...thanks John....I went to the shops on Monday....but haven't been since....so then ...I am a.....'Prepper' right?

beaufort1
23rd Dec 2014, 20:14
I had to 'giggle' the word as I had never heard of it before. :O

I give thanks to the fact that I live in a fairly benign part of the globe in regards to weather. Saying that, we do rely on a single weekly visit from a ship for our food supplies and if the weather isn't co-operating the ship doesn't dock. I think the record in recent times is three weeks when she hasn't been able to visit. It's common sense to build up a good stock cupboard especially over the winter months. I reckon I could survive for between two and three months without having to go shopping. ;)

pigboat
23rd Dec 2014, 20:27
I thought it was peppers, and was prepared to discuss Scoville Units.

Chesty Morgan
23rd Dec 2014, 20:48
The concept of the US existed long before the country did, your lot didn't seem to like the idea of freedom in those days. You had to be taught.

You may well be right. But your point is off topic.

KBPsen
23rd Dec 2014, 21:06
your lot didn't seem to like the idea of freedom in those daysI'm sure a lot of dark skinned folks said the same thing

con-pilot
23rd Dec 2014, 21:56
I give thanks to the fact that I live in a fairly benign part of the globe in regards to weather. Saying that, we do rely on a single weekly visit from a ship for our food supplies and if the weather isn't co-operating the ship doesn't dock. I think the record in recent times is three weeks when she hasn't been able to visit. It's common sense to build up a good stock cupboard especially over the winter months. I reckon I could survive for between two and three months without having to go shopping.

Then you are a 'Prepper', for mostly the same reasons I am, except for me it is in case of tornadoes and really severe ice storms. There is always a chance of civil unrest, but where I live the chance of that happening is so remote it really doesn’t come into play.

VP959
23rd Dec 2014, 21:59
It's an interesting debate, and one far from being confined to the denizens of the USA. Back in the 70's and early 80's I think I could easily have been called a "prepper". Due to the nature of my work I thought I'd probably have maybe 24 hours early warning of nuclear Armageddon, and I did adjust my lifestyle a fair bit. I learned to sail and kept a ready stock of canned food and bottled fresh water, together with some basic survival gear.

At the time I lived in the far West Country, and had worked out that if WWIII happened it would probably have primarily affected the Northern hemisphere for at least the first few months. The final straw that turned me into a "prepper" was watching the "Protect and Survive" public service broadcasts, as they convinced me that the government were, in all probability, going to protect themselves and let the population perish (simply because the "Protect and Survive" precautions were ludicrous).

My plan, for several years, was to leave home as soon as I had a hint of a nuclear attack and steal a big yacht. There were plenty of yachts around within a ten to fifteen minute drive that were very rarely used and easily capable of a long sea voyage. I'd load up with my "survival pack" and head South West, then South, towards the Southern Hemisphere. I'd worked out that I could almost certainly outrun the precipitation of any significant fallout, and by crossing the Equator I'd be relatively free from any fallout risk for a few more months. The idea was to head for the Antipodes, in the hope that the (primarily US/Soviet/UK) conflict might not have spread that far.

Some may think the very idea of living in such a state of fear as to take such measures was lunacy, but what I saw most days convinced me that we were on the very brink of an all-out nuclear war several times. I went so far as to load everything into my car more than once, because the level of tension was so high.

Anyone who's experienced some of the very close encounters we had during that time may well have been as convinced as I was that the UK was pretty much doomed should the worst happen.

Looking back it seems a daft over-reaction, but at the time the threat seemed very, very real.

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Dec 2014, 22:11
Whilst there are doomsday preppers ready to flee to their stash and lair at a moments notice (must be a huuuuge strain on the nervous system always being on standby), there are also those who feel that we're on the road to hell, to quote Chris Rea, and want to get out of an urban centre if/when a schism in society occurs. The sad truth is that most of us are F**ked should society disintegrate due to financial drought, war or disease. Most companies are only a few days away from running out of stock, especially those that feed us. So there are many items that we take for granted in our daily lives that if missing would cause a substantial decrease in life quality. It might not be remiss to cultivate a prudent attitude for a plan 'B' after all.

SHJ

Captain Dart
23rd Dec 2014, 23:31
You must have read Neville Shute's 'On the Beach', VP959. Radioactive dust from a northern hemisphere nuclear war creeps southward toward Australia. I guess your yacht plan would have bought you some time.

I read the book at a young age and it freaked me out a bit; I was growing up in Victoria's Mornington Peninsula area, in which much of 'On the Beach' was set.

I later flew from HMAS Melbourne, the aircraft carrier in which some scenes of the movie version were filmed (I remember some photos of Ava Gardner on board in an old squadron Line Book). Shute himself apparently dissociated himself from the film. One of the production team made the famous quote (wrongly attributed to Gardner), that Melbourne (the city) was '...an appropriate place to make a film about the end of the world'.

The book never had to let on which states the nuclear war had been fought by in the time in which it was set; however these days the potential combatants are in frighteningly greater numbers, not to mention the Islamic nut jobs.

rh200
24th Dec 2014, 00:05
It all depends upon what you prepping for, and hence how far you go, another words just smart or a fruit loop. And if your a fruit loop and Armageddon happened, does that mean you where just well prepared?

I don't mind the individual preppers, even the extreme ones, sort of makes sense if you believe what you do, is going to happen. But its the group rich ones that get me.

Multi million dollars condo community in missile silo's what could go wrong? What are they prepping for, minor upheaval, could work, hide out till the authorities regain control. But Armageddon, think again.

Lets see, multimillionaires with their entourage of hot nymphs and family. Guarded by well armed non millionare alpha males. Comlete breakdown of outside social order, hence you wealth is meaningless, yep what could go wrong.

in all probability, going to protect themselves and let the population perish

First rule of rescuing, don't become the one needing to be rescued, depending on the severity of the situation, leaving the masses to perish would be the only logical cold choice. In some cases its even been mentioned culling would be an option.

You must have read Neville Shute's 'On the Beach', VP959. Radiation from a northern hemisphere nuclear war creeps southward toward Australia. I guess your yacht plan would have bought you some time.

Yes a very powerful movie, though somewhat extreme and inaccurate on its outcome. Like a lot of anti nuclear movies/ shows they over emphise the risk to an virtually impossible level. This has the effect, (bit like lone wolf wack jobs) of getting a particular percentage of the population to go on their anti nuclear crusades. That movie has been stated to be the source of inspiration of at least one particular high profile anti nuclear Dr.

con-pilot
24th Dec 2014, 01:52
When the book 'On the Beach' first came out, I guess back in 57 or 58 I read it at a very young impressionable age. I was living in England at the time and was a diehard Nevil Shute (Norway) fan even back then.

It was the only book that ever gave me nightmares.

deltahotel
24th Dec 2014, 02:18
On the Beach - watch the film. It's a real mind f**k!!

Krystal n chips
24th Dec 2014, 04:58
The British have been doing this for years......or so you might think watching them shop at Christmas / New Year and Easter.

Sadly, and stupidly, so much of the excess food ends up as waste.

"Protect and Survive ".....now there was a contender for any comedy award you care to name.

pigboat
24th Dec 2014, 13:39
You want a book that'll bring on depression, read Down To A Sunless Sea by David Graham.

VP959
24th Dec 2014, 17:06
"Protect and Survive ".....now there was a contender for any comedy award you care to name.

For those who didn't ever get to see just how ludicrous this public information film was, here it is:

m6U9T3R3EQg

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Dec 2014, 20:18
The Raymond Briggs animated film about how hopeless it all would have been for those trying to follow the Government advice is here

sdtpvoOXn2o

Two others of relevance are 'Threads' (1984)(nuclear attack near Sheffield, leaving it slightly less devastated than a visit by Leeds United supporters ;)) and 'The War Game'(1965), showing the ugly side of the aftermath.

'The War Game' was banned for 20 years, and neither it nor 'Threads' ever shown again.
They are all excellent, and movies the Government would really rather you wouldn't watch. It's remarkable how much faster the youtube copies get shut down compared to far more popular BBC productions.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Dec 2014, 14:15
My new year's resolution: to become a survivalist - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/11316006/My-new-years-resolution-to-become-a-survivalist.html)

mikedreamer787
29th Dec 2014, 17:32
On the Beach - watch the film. It's a real mind f**k!!

The 1959 version of the book was good, but certainly not that silly remake in 2000.

airship
29th Dec 2014, 18:11
Coincidentally, there's an interesting article on Preppers in this week's Economist newspaper here (http://www.economist.com/news/christmas-specials/21636611-when-civilisation-collapses-will-you-be-ready-i-will-survive).

Though I wonder what the Economist knows (and what they're not saying) about what's in store for us in 2015 and to take the subject quite so seriously...?! :uhoh:

con-pilot
29th Dec 2014, 19:21
I mention all that because they think they are holding people to account, but they are not held to account temselves. Bad reporting should result instant dismissal and a permanent ban from publishing any work in the future (anywhere).

Hmm, maybe I need to go out and buy another six pack of beer to keep back just in case. :ooh:

onetrack
30th Dec 2014, 03:35
There must be an awful lot of disappointed Preppers about, that need to be interviewed, to provide some interesting documentaries.

Tens of thousands of December 2012 "Mayan Calendar" Preppers .... :(

Tens of thousands of "End of the World" Preppers, fooled by stupid Bible text interpreters ... :(

Yet to come;

Millions of Doomsday preppers in America, who will be sorely disappointed when Doomsday never comes ... :(

Someone told me around 12% of the American population are dedicated Preppers?
This has got to be a significant pointer towards some serious national paranoia epidemic, Shirley? :rolleyes:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
30th Dec 2014, 11:56
There is a big trend in North America towards independent living. Big companies in a consumer society make more profit from dependent living.

12% of Americans do not think a zombie apocalypse will happen tomorrow. Most are just growing their own tomatoes.

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Dec 2014, 12:08
12% of Americans do not think a zombie apocalypse will happen tomorrow.
So 88% do? - I suppose that's not that unbelievable, given other statistics that are quoted about things that Americans believe in!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
30th Dec 2014, 14:23
Context Gertrude.

The 12% who are allegedly preppers do not all think a zombie apocalypse will happen tomorrow. Nor do the other 88%.

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Dec 2014, 15:06
In fact it appears to be only 14% of Americans who believe in zombies

The Zombie Apocalypse (http://research.yougov.com/news/2013/06/14/zombie-apocalypse/)