PDA

View Full Version : It had to happen . . .

Blacksheep
23rd Dec 2014, 08:27
. . . first to go was the Radio Operator, then the Navigator and then the Flight Engineer. Their functions were automated out of the loop, leaving just the two pilots. Now NASA and Rockwell Collins are busy getting rid of of the First Officer.

Avionics Magazine :: NASA, Rockwell Collins Studying Single Pilot Ops (http://www.aviationtoday.com/av/topstories/NASA-Rockwell-Collins-Studying-Single-Pilot-Ops_83801.html?hq_e=el&hq_m=3003087&hq_l=43&hq_v=2565ba4ec4)

How long before we see the first single pilot airliner?

. . . and eventually the fully automated versions?

handsfree
23rd Dec 2014, 08:46
At which point you can get rid of ATC and let the hackers run the complete show.

mikedreamer787
23rd Dec 2014, 10:59
Nah it'll go the way of the pilot and a dog.

Then there'll just be the dog.

ZFT
23rd Dec 2014, 11:55
Which breed?

Blink182
23rd Dec 2014, 12:03
Airedale ?

jindabyne
23rd Dec 2014, 12:05
The Pointer

Flypro
23rd Dec 2014, 12:41
Skye Terrier :ok:

Ancient Observer
23rd Dec 2014, 12:41
The Insurance Co.s will determine the future of the pilot.

As the heart attack statistics were the main reason for 2 pilot operation, and as they have been moving the right way in the last few years, (recognised in the UK even by the CAA and its cheaper type of ppl), single pilot ops for commercial might be getting closer.

Mr Optimistic
23rd Dec 2014, 12:43
Toilet breaks may be at a premium........

ian16th
23rd Dec 2014, 12:57
Toilet breaks may be at a premium........

If the military can get by with a pee-tube.............................:D

Flypro
23rd Dec 2014, 13:05
Toilet breaks?

Just put a tree where the redundant co-pilot seat was

Blacksheep
23rd Dec 2014, 13:33
As the heart attack statistics were the main reason for 2 pilot operation, No they weren't. The co-pilot flew the aircraft and the Captain commanded his crew to direct the flight.

The single pilot aeroplane would be in fully automatic control with the pilot monitoring and managing the flight. If he drops dead with a heart attack, the flight will continue as programmed. Data link will allow monitoring from the ground and updating the flight plan. The main reason for a living breathing pilot will be to allay passenger fears.

G-CPTN
23rd Dec 2014, 14:20
The main reason for a living breathing pilot will be to allay passenger fears. And to sh4g the hosties . . .

rgbrock1
23rd Dec 2014, 14:26
So what happens if the only remaining pilot suddenly has a case of the trots due to, for example, eating too many chimichangas the night before? :}:E

Flypro
23rd Dec 2014, 14:57
What are the statistics for rabies in dogs then?.....just asking:)

airship
23rd Dec 2014, 18:09
How long before we see the first single pilot airliner?

I thought all pilots were 'single' once on the airplane (regardless of marital status etc.)?! :E

con-pilot
23rd Dec 2014, 18:39
So what happens if the only remaining pilot suddenly has a case of the trots due to, for example, eating too many chimichangas the night before?

It was Thai food that did it to me once, but in that case I had two other pilots in the cockpit.

So;

BRING BACK THE FLIGHT ENGINEER!!!!!!!!!!! :ok:

G-CPTN
23rd Dec 2014, 18:40
Perhaps the answer is to employ qualified pilots as cabin crew?

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Dec 2014, 23:02
It has always been a Single Pilot operation, as explained to me by a senior PanAm Captain many years ago when he questioned the, then, revolutionary idea of "monitored approach", whereby one pilot flies solely on instruments until the other pilot sees the ground and then takes over to complete the manual landing - as it always used to be until Bill Gates's toys took over.

He explained that PanAm had always used a monitored approach philosophy, which surprised me, the new idea being somewhat contentious at the time within the industry, Yes, he said, I fly, he monitors.

QED