PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Gold Coast - Nadi what about Canberra - Nadi?

BNEA320
23rd Dec 2014, 04:15
JQ starting OOL/NAN 3 times a week from end of MAR.

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/...-year/story-fnjdow5o-1227164689182 (http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/lifestyle/jetstar-says-it-will-fly-gold-coast-fiji-direct-from-next-year/story-fnjdow5o-1227164689182)

When FJ did route 4 or so years back it was a disaster & was pulled early.

FJ were even bussing people from BNE.

In those days, OOL/NAN/LAX was fastest way to LAX from Gold Coast.

JQ should do CBR/NAN as it would be perfect for CBR market.

FJ also tried this, but was also short lived.

Savage175
23rd Dec 2014, 04:43
It's a no brainer for JQ. No matter the result it will be hailed an amazing success, and all losses will be shunted onto QF via the amazing use of code sharing.

BNEA320
23rd Dec 2014, 05:09
they can always fill the aircraft with frequent flyer tickets.

Must be a few hundred billion Qantas points floating around Canberra, city of the highest yielding fares in Australia by far.

At present no JQ or TT at CBR, but CBR/NAN could be an exception.

Think JQ & TT will not be allowed into CBR by "big brothers".

Australopithecus
23rd Dec 2014, 06:36
The FF burn internal accounting is less than the nominal cost of the seat. Also, someone from United told me that there are no customs at CBR.

bmam7
23rd Dec 2014, 06:46
I'd imagine a lot of the traffic out of CBR is public service and for years now they have not been credited FF points. Status credits though - they still get those. A mate of mine is Platinum and became lifetime Gold years ago and he can take that with him when he retires.

Back in the day I bounced between Silver and Gold - never made it to lifetime status though for either colour. We did get points but they had to be listed separately from your own personal travel (and that would be audited) and you couldn't use them privately, only for work. Of course no one ever did thanks to the vagaries of getting an award ticket.

Funnily, a lot of people retired with quite a few points...... Well, they were registered by QF in your name and not your Department.

BNEA320
23rd Dec 2014, 07:22
what does this mean ?

quote: "The FF burn internal accounting is less than the nominal cost of the seat."

& this

quote: "Also, someone from United told me that there are no customs at CBR."

Customs head office is just down the road from CBR.

Obviously when FJ flew CBR/NAN they had customs !!!

CBR has been trying for CBR/NZL flights for a while now. Imagine it wouldn't take very long to reorganise customs at CBR.

Many small international airports simply put in a floating wall/partition. ZQN used to have one before they grew.

wheels_down
23rd Dec 2014, 09:16
They are moving in before Tiger shortly does.

Virgin are currently planning Tigers New International short-haul network to commence late next year, Fiji and some New Zeakand cities are high on their agenda.

Australopithecus
23rd Dec 2014, 09:52
It means that you have to carefully limit the number of FF redemptions per flight so as not to drive the yield down too far. Specifically it means that seats are charged internally back to the FF division at much less than the actual cost.

I am aware that Customs, like most government activity, has its administrative headquarters in Canberra. So what? There are no customs facilities at CBR, there is already a gate constraint without going through the rigamarole of catering for a sole arrival. And who is going to pay for the service and the facility even if it were physically possible in the new building?

At any rate, if there is a demand crying out for lift I am sure the industry will rush to fill that void.

Capt Fathom
23rd Dec 2014, 11:10
BNEA320,
When did FJ fly CBR to FIJI ?

cavemanzk
23rd Dec 2014, 16:12
I am aware that Customs, like most government activity, has its administrative headquarters in Canberra. So what? There are no customs facilities at CBR, there is already a gate constraint without going through the rigamarole of catering for a sole arrival. And who is going to pay for the service and the facility even if it were physically possible in the new building?

Surely its possible? they do it for the 3-4weekly seasonal flights into MCY on NZ.

ad-astra
23rd Dec 2014, 17:41
Australopithecus,

At least you got a laugh from me regarding United's recent experience in Canberra!

1A_Please
23rd Dec 2014, 20:36
When did FJ fly CBR to FIJI ?

FJ flew CBR-NAN about 10 years ago very briefly. The old Golden Wing Lounge was used for Customs purposes. It was a pretty ordinary affair requiring the old AN terminal to be closed off for a few hours. The route failed and VA took back the Golden Wing and made it a Lounge.

peuce
24th Dec 2014, 01:30
Bit of a misnomer...or, at least, very intermittent !

First international flight takes off from the all new Canberra Airport | Canberra Airport (http://www.canberraairport.com.au/2013/08/first-international-flight-takes-off-from-the-all-new-canberra-airport/)

BNEA320
24th Dec 2014, 03:14
everyone seems to have forgotten about FJ's CBR/NAN services.

Apparently was told, they went for 2/week, where they should have started with 1/week. If someone wanted to go other days, they simply could have gone via SYD, MEL or BNE.

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/133338-air-pacific-fly-canberra.html

Oakape
24th Dec 2014, 03:30
If Mr Snow wants CBR to be an international airport, as I'm told he does, perhaps he is the one that needs to solve the customs issue, not the airlines.

bankrunner
24th Dec 2014, 06:03
If Mr Snow wants CBR to be an international airport, as I'm told he does, perhaps he is the one that needs to solve the customs issue, not the airlines.

He needs an actual business reason to "solve" the problem (which isn't a problem), first. No point in spending money running those facilities if nobody's going to use them.

The shiny new terminal has provisions for customs, quarantine etc facilities.

Oakape
27th Dec 2014, 18:49
I was told yesterday that the new terminal has the customs/immigration area done & ready to go. Just add staff. Also, two of the gates with aerobridges are all set up for international & can feed to/from the customs area.

So it would appear that the problem is not the airport, but rather the airlines. If Dunedin can have international services I don't see why Canberra can't.

BNEA320
28th Dec 2014, 00:07
DUD has lost all international services apart from DUD/BNE which is tied up in the NZ/VA alliance so it can't be dropped, unlike DUD/SYD & DUD/MEL which were dropped.

That said DUD is trying hard to get even limited or seasonal services to other ports in Australia.

AVV is a possibility we're told, which makes far more sense than MEL.

JQ should seriously look at AVV/NAN. Charges at AVV could be $0 for 1st few months at least.