PDA

View Full Version : BA to RAF Lakenheath

ViscountFan
22nd Dec 2014, 12:56
The BA Source reports that a BA E170 positioned LCY to Lakenheath and then returned, again being described as a positioning flight. Does anynoe know what this was about please?

Double Hydco
22nd Dec 2014, 16:14
No idea, but there was a City Flyer E170 doing circuits at Cambridge yesterday, I noticed as I was doing my Christmas shopping.....

flying phil 2007
22nd Dec 2014, 19:31
I was wondering the same .. strange

also on BA Source I noticed that some A320's are going to be stored at Cardiff over the Xmas period ?? I thought it would be a busy period?

BTW - an interesting website..

Will101
26th Dec 2014, 17:19
The A320s being stored might be some of the 'new' additions or some of the older fleet

jijpc
26th Dec 2014, 17:56
The stored A319s are EUPB and EUPL, so some of the original fleet.

Westlakejawa
26th Dec 2014, 19:52
'PC and'PJ are also at Cardiff (curtsey S.W.A.G).

Skipness One Echo
26th Dec 2014, 21:33
also on BA Source I noticed that some A320's are going to be stored at Cardiff over the Xmas period ?? I thought it would be a busy period?
Frequency on European business routes is quiet til New Year, LHR on Christmas day is a BA parking lot with the Maintenance Base full and even T4 being used.

SpringHeeledJack
27th Dec 2014, 07:24
Guys, it's killing me to know if the thread title is true or just a 'hook' to get people to the website mentioned in the OP ? If it's true would it have been doing a charter ? Oh, and Merry Whotzit to you all :)

SHJ

DaveReidUK
27th Dec 2014, 09:05
In my experience, thebasource.com is, er, a pretty good source re BA happenings.

ViscountFan
28th Dec 2014, 08:37
Spring Heeled Jack, I assure you my original post was no hook to take you to the BASource site, excellent though it is. It merely intrigued me that a BA aircraft 'positioned' in both directions, and over such a short distance which I would have thought made a charter imappropriate.

The thread now appaers to be being used for other BA related matters. This was not my intention.

andrewn
28th Dec 2014, 18:33
The BA Source reports that a BA E170 positioned LCY to Lakenheath and then returned, again being described as a positioning flight. Does anynoe know what this was about please?

21st December was a Sunday and I was in the area all day - the only thing I saw at LKH that day was a RAF C130 that arrived and departed.

KelvinD
28th Dec 2014, 20:33
The BA Source reported this flight into Lakenheath as being on December 20th, returning the following day.
It is not the only one though.
FR24 shows G-LCYD flying from Edinburgh to Lakenheath yesterday (27th Dec) with the same flight number BA9771.
BA Source shows nothing for this aircraft.
Having said that, FR24 also shows no flights in last 7 days for flight BA9771!
So that seems pretty conclusive. It made the flight from City to Lakenheath.
Or it didn't.

SpringHeeledJack
28th Dec 2014, 21:10
So that seems pretty conclusive. It made the flight from City to Lakenheath.
Or it didn't.

:) :D :}

Let's just assume (I know, I know), that this/these flights did go to/from RAF Lakenheath, a USAF military base, then it would be a very unusual occurrence, even for training/positioning/charter purposes would it not ? My educated guess :rolleyes: is that the personal at the base organised Xmas shopping trips for family of based staff to London and Edinburgh and BA is a trusted source by the US DoD.

Q.E.D

SHJ

Bengerman
28th Dec 2014, 21:58
Just to clear up.... BA has no E170's, but City Flyer, flying in BA livery, do.

Airclues
28th Dec 2014, 22:02
I have positioned several aircraft to Brize Norton one evening and then positioned them back the following morning, having experienced the delights of the Gateway House Hotel. However, if I told you what they were used for I'd have to shoot you. Perhaps this was the same?

Jet Set Willie
29th Dec 2014, 10:32
Hiya all. It was a training flight to Cambridge for BACF. They can alter the PAPIs to 5.5 to simulate the approach and LCY, so its a first choice if LCY is to busy. Also used quite often for normal approaches as well, again when its too busy at LCY.

Hope that clears it up. Why the source is saying Lakenheath I've no idea, but if it does again, read it as Cambridge.

SpringHeeledJack
29th Dec 2014, 11:58
Thanks for the definitive answer mr willie! You're not the willie of BA are you ? :suspect: I was getting a bit concerned with mr airclues only wanting to divulge the answer if he could shoot me afterwards :E

SHJ

Aksai Oiler
29th Dec 2014, 16:07
Lakenheath my be occupied by the USAF, however, they are guests of the UK Government and consequently it is and remains an RAF base.

TomW6
14th Jan 2015, 15:41
It never went to Lakenheath, Its just BA Source using FR24 data and info thats not correct

FR24 states that it flew LCY to Lakenheath on 20th December then CBG to Rochester Airport on 21st December

Its all down to the fact that the E170 doesnt have ADS-B so FR24 guesses where it lands from where MLAT is lost

Jet Set Willie
14th Jan 2015, 15:57
As already stated!!!!!!!!!!!:ugh: