PDA

View Full Version : Making safety instructions appealing to passengers by using apps

cabinsafe
22nd Dec 2014, 08:43
Most passengers do not pay attention to safety briefings and safety cards, as we know.

A possible interesting strategy to foster awareness of aviation safety in passengers is currently explored by a university research project that aims at creating mobile apps based on interactive 3D simulation and
video game techniques to make safety instructions simple, fun and attractive for passengers. The project is freely releasing the apps for all smartphones and tablets (Android, Apple, Windows Mobile).

As an example, the Life Vest App (which can be freely downloaded at this university link: Life Vest App (http://hcilab.uniud.it/lifevest) ) focuses on water landings and aims at fostering public awareness about how to don a life vest and how to do it fast enough (the time limit recommended by the FAA is within 25 seconds, without assistance).

Hope you enjoy it!

Dash8driver1312
22nd Dec 2014, 09:41
...and for people without mobiles and those with classic phones...?

Laudable for a certain proportion of the flying fraternity but it doesn't reach everyone.

cabinsafe
22nd Dec 2014, 10:40
Sure, the Life Vest App as it is can reach those who have a smartphone or a tablet.

But the same approach can be technically generalized to other digital devices (the app can be extended to computers or also adapted to the latest generation of in-flight entertainment systems).

Here's an example of a Facebook app that works on PCs and MACs.
It's about the brace position:
https://apps.facebook.com/learntobrace/
P.S: Compared to Life Vest, the FB app could be a bit scary for some users because it simulates a crash test (so it is more suited to be played at home, not on a plane :) )

TrakBall
22nd Dec 2014, 19:19
Cabinsafe,

This seems to be an exercise of an app for app's sake. I seriously doubt this can ever be implemented since by regulation, all passengers must be able to view an emergency safety briefing.

I have no issues with the apps themselves, I just don't see how they can practically replace a audio/visual live or video based safety demo. And that's not even taking into account the detail changes involved with different aircraft.

TrakBall