PDA

View Full Version : CATHAY PAC AIR (00293.HK) to record $500M loss over fuel hedges

CokeZero
22nd Dec 2014, 04:50
19th December 2014

According to local media, CATHAY PAC AIR (00293.HK) said in end-November that the company will record a book loss of $400 to $500 million from fuel hedges due to the recent volatile oil prices.

AAStocks Financial News
Web Site: ???? AASTOCKS.com - ??????????? HK Free Stock Quote (http://www.aastocks.com)

Air Profit
22nd Dec 2014, 11:17
Hey, but I saved $50 hkd on my last sector shutting an engine down.:ok:

Shep69
22nd Dec 2014, 12:22
Beware of "The Sting"

http://www.technologytell.com/entertainment/files/2014/05/1973_the_sting_008.jpg

Claiming massive hardship and losses was used years ago too.

Kitsune
22nd Dec 2014, 16:00
That's what you get for playing cards with your head up your ass...:}

crwkunt roll
22nd Dec 2014, 23:16
Also remember, when shutting engines down when taxying, that your fuel savings and potential pay raises helped fund both the CX staff party, and the CX Heads of Dept dinner last week. The latter at a cost of $5 million HKD.

Arfur Dent
23rd Dec 2014, 01:09
Depends on how many Heads of Department there are but that sounds like quite a Dinner!:cool:

Shep69
23rd Dec 2014, 13:19
I kinda like dinners and parties and have far less issue with these than being lied to and played for a sucker.

When there's money involved, the Great Chinese Laundry has nothing to do with clothes.

Yonosoy Marinero
24th Dec 2014, 08:06
Don't worry. Cathay will soon sincerely apologize to all its employees and shareholders for that mistake and for not living up to the expectations of everybody else in this company who strive to make this the 'Best airline in the world'.
They will hold themselves accountable for it as they always do and as the respectful and trustworthy employer they are. Then expect promises to make changes to avoid this sort of gross mismanagement.

They are very good at this.

They'll come forward soon, you'll see.

I'm sure...

Any minute now...

Grinch
28th Dec 2014, 03:33
Just expensive insurance they can book as a loss to reduce their tax burden.

They don't talk about the windfall spot price ( drop of $40-50 / barrel) gain they are making. Ie they would have been quite happy if the price was stable at $90-100 or what ever they planned to pay for it - now they are still paying that price for contracts, but you can bet they are only 50% hedged - hedge the hedge.

:ok: