PDA

View Full Version : International inquiry proposed into Sony hacking..

John Hill
20th Dec 2014, 18:42
I really cannot imagine this happening!

North Korea has offered to hold a joint inquiry with the United States into a cyber-attack on Sony Pictures, strongly denying US claims that it is behind it.

The North's foreign ministry accused the US government of "spreading groundless allegations" and said a probe would refute the allegations.

BBC News - North Korea seeks joint probe with US on Sony hack (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30560712)

Keef
20th Dec 2014, 18:52
I listened to the BBC news report on that. I don't understand a word of Korean, but the NK news broadcaster sounded very excited about it.

G-CPTN
20th Dec 2014, 18:53
Is this a double bluff by SK, or are they genuinely unable to see the benefit of claiming the responsibility?

ricardian
20th Dec 2014, 19:50
Keef said I listened to the BBC news report on that. I don't understand a word of Korean, but the NK news broadcaster sounded very excited about it.

I've listened to several NK news readers and it doesn't matter whether they are reporting the latest perceived atrocity by South Korea or the weather forecast - they always sound extremely irate

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Dec 2014, 20:49
NK leader insists NK had no involvement?

Should this not be merged with the 'He would, wouldn't he' thread? ;)

con-pilot
20th Dec 2014, 20:52
Kind of like a fox helping the farmer to investigate missing chickens from the chicken coop. :p

G-CPTN
20th Dec 2014, 21:55
BBCRadio 5 is reporting that NK has promised appropriate retaliation against the US if they take action against NK for the alleged Sony affair.

As we have become accustomed to hearing the idle threats issued by NK, I don't think we need to worry.

fitliker
20th Dec 2014, 22:07
It might get interesting if the US Charity that keeps the NK military fed and warm in the winter , in the form of fuel aid, food aid gets cut because of a publicity stunt by Sony studios gone wrong. The whole of NK might get Chinafied like Tibet by spring :)

Although I am reminded of a comment made by Lewis Grizzard of the Atlanta Constitution: about four male hairdressers that assaulted a woman in Atlanta. Apparently they held her down and fixed her hair Those four fellas should be sent on a mercy mission to fix the hair of the NK leader. The only man in the world to have all of the three stooges hair cuts on the same head :)

Back in a minute, there is a knock at the door :(

Sallyann1234
20th Dec 2014, 22:13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaKX9YYHiQ

Boudreaux Bob
20th Dec 2014, 23:42
North Korea threatening to retaliate against the USA for retaliating against North Korea for an Act of War seems a bit comical actually, especially with BH Obama in charge of drawing the Red Lines in the water.:ugh:

I always think of this movie when North Korea is mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vphm_xVeRiY&list=PL3862A1921A4A75FC&index=1

rh200
21st Dec 2014, 00:11
Actually had no real interest in the movie before, still don't. But out of principle I would go and see it at the cinema. They skimp and go to video they can get stuffed.

Wonder where the ACLU is in protesting to the cinemas. I wonder if we could gets Hoyts over here to run it?

Andu
21st Dec 2014, 00:41
In the months following the September 2001 attacks upon the US by Islamic terrorists, there was much talk about how the US should respond, given that it was an amorphous, hard to identify group rather than a nation state that had attacked them, making it quite difficult to find an appropriate target to direct any retaliation against.

Recognising the dilemma this presented to the US, one American writer likened the US to a strong man in a very crowded bar. If one of the hundreds of undoubtedly weaker men in the bar darted out from the crowd and kicked the strong man in the arse, ducking back into the anonymity of the crowd before he could be identified by the strong man, the strong man could get away without retaliating without losing credibility with the crowd - the first time.

However, if the same weaker man repeated his attack and again got away with it without being recognised, the strong man would find himself between a rock and a hard place. He simply must react, and react with vigour, against someone – anyone – in the crowd or he would lose all credibility with the crowd, or others in that crowd, emboldened by the lack of response, would believe that they could attack him too. Indeed, if four or five – or even more – chose to attack him at the same time, they might even succeed in overcoming him.

After six years of the Obama presidency, I would argue that what that unknown writer posited in 2001-2, where the ‘strong man’ failed to retaliate to succeeding attacks, has come to pass. The USA has become that (once, but no longer) strong man who has lost all credibility with the crowd of smaller countries in that ‘crowded bar’ that is international politics. Obama’s incredibly weak response to the cyber attack on Sony is nothing short of embarrassing.

In short, unless there is a major change in attitude by the US government, the US is in big trouble, as a succession of 'political brushfires' can almost certainly be guaranteed to break out all over the world in the months and years to come - all of them to the detriment of US interests.

Saltie
21st Dec 2014, 02:02
Obama sounded very unconvincing when he told the North Koreans that the U.S. would not stand for this. Wet lettuce is what came to mind.

obgraham
21st Dec 2014, 02:39
Yes, as Con is wont to say around here, Obama's retaliation is more likely to be of the "if you do that again I shall write your name down in my book" variety.

rotornut
21st Dec 2014, 15:43
"Our toughest counteraction will be boldly taken against the White House, the Pentagon and the whole U.S. mainland, the cesspool of terrorism." Really?
North Korea denies Sony hack but warns worse is coming - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/21/world/asia/north-korea-us-sony/index.html?hpt=hp_t2)