PDA

View Full Version : RT v. BBC

AtomKraft
20th Dec 2014, 18:01
I'm abroad these days, and apart from Al Jazeera, which perhaps I should have included, these two are the main English language news channels.

Despite being a Brit, I find the BBC to be nauseous. RT a little fresher.

Both have their lefty agendas, so that shouldn't seperate them.

Who do I trust more? Who do you trust more?

I find myself strangely attracted to RT. And more and more annoyed and disinterested by the anodyne content on the beeb.

Strange to think that Russia Today, could be in with a shout of doing better in the eyes of a Brit.

I think I'm more likely to hear interesting stuff on RT though.....

OFSO
20th Dec 2014, 18:09
Have a look at France 24, English language version. It actually covers several news topics, unlike SKY which has one-news-item per day, good reporters, and a running on-screen banner for a lot of the latest news themes.

con-pilot
20th Dec 2014, 19:11
For national news in the US, I watch NBC Nightly News and Fox News.

NBC mostly supports the left and for Fox the right. So reading between the lines of both, I figure I receive something close to the real facts.

For support when it comes to NBC, I watch BBC News America.

For support of Fox, well there is no other news source that reflects the conservative point of view. I can’t think of a single news network that is really neutral and unbiased.

However, in regard to the news about Cuba, Fox is doing a very good job of showing both sides, both pro and con. I can’t see where they are taking an editorial side either way.

Course I don’t watch Fox all that much, so I could be wrong.

West Coast
20th Dec 2014, 19:55
RT and the beeb. Both have funding arranged by the state, neither are impartial. Like Con, I source my news from a number of sources to ensure some variety of viewpoints.

rh200
20th Dec 2014, 20:09
NBC mostly supports the left and for Fox the right. So reading between the lines of both, I figure I receive something close to the real facts.

Yea I usually do the averaging bit as well. Though the count is sometimes around 3 to 4:p.

RT or BBC.

I use a funny metric on some things, that is the one that is most boring and not trying so hard.

I guess it would also count a little if your reporters where going to be potentially disappear or have an accident.

Capetonian
20th Dec 2014, 20:18
RT is good for anything unrelated to Russia or its sphere of influence. I would be inclined to trust RT before the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation.

galaxy flyer
20th Dec 2014, 21:06
I would be inclined to trust RT before the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation.

Considering RT is Putin's mouthpiece, that's saying something.

GF

Vercingetorix
21st Dec 2014, 00:35
NHK english language news is impartial and well balanced

mikedreamer787
21st Dec 2014, 00:49
1. France 24

2. NHK

3. RT (for all the shit on other countries)

4. Beeb

5. CNN (hardly used nowadays)

6. ABC Oz (live sports only)

Kelly Hopper
21st Dec 2014, 05:43
BBC world is nauseating beyond belief! Nothing but self promoting, repetative over dramatic condecending tripe. Do they really have to treat everyone like a 5 year old?
And as for that woman....that.....can't even.....read an........autocue......without gasping for........air every.........4 seconds? Give me strength! :{

RT on the other hand is a pleasure to watch with a world of intellect over the beeb. As for Russian propaganda, they had a presenter walk off on air recently refusing to spout the false official line knowing it to be [email protected] Respect!

tony draper
21st Dec 2014, 06:36
Agree, I avoid the BBC news channel now, parochial London centric and as obsessed with celebs as any spotty teenager,they may as well tape it for a hour in the morning and stick it in a VCR on repeat and all go home.
I favor Aljazeera now and a daily foray into RT.

crewmeal
21st Dec 2014, 06:42
BBC world is nauseating beyond belief! Nothing but self promoting, repetative over dramatic condecending tripe. Do they really have to treat everyone like a 5 year old?
And as for that woman....that.....can't even.....read an........autocue......without gasping for........air every.........4 seconds? Give me strength!

I couldn't agree more. The same could be said for BBC News 24. Why do they have to mention 'flashing cameras' before any item is beyond belief. Once at the beginning is enough. Cameras with flashes have been around since the roaring 20's. Please don't anyone tell me it's 'hell on safety'.

My favourite news readers are on BBC 1 - Reeta Chakrabarti, Fiona Bruce and Sophie Raworth. Don't get me started on Charlie Stayt who said it was Maggie Thatcher's wedding instead of her funeral.

AtomKraft
21st Dec 2014, 06:54
Ok.
Quite relieved that it's not just me that has a problem with BBC World.

I turn it on, then after about ten seconds I feel like throwing something at the telly. It's just utter drivel, and I think nauseating is probably the best single word to describe the experience.

Smug, trite, self satisfied, tedious, un interesting, boring, and irritating are also adjectives that seem to cross my mind when watching.

It really is crap.

crewmeal
21st Dec 2014, 06:56
Have a look at this list of presenters of BBC News and you'll know who does what.

List of BBC newsreaders and reporters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BBC_newsreaders_and_reporters)

Capetonian
21st Dec 2014, 07:04
BBC World TV is dire, it makes CNN look good. Talking of looking good, the big + with RT is that most of the (female) presenters are quite easy on the eye, and m/y oh tells me that the males are not bad either. Also they generally speak and enunciate very well and the quality of the programming is excellent. The content and views are of course a matter of opinion.