PDA

View Full Version : Open Office Writer

WE Branch Fanatic
19th Dec 2014, 17:15
For the last few months I have been using Open Office 4.1.1, as I lost MS Word etc when my old hard drive waas replaced. I was pleased to find Open Office Writer can produce perfectly good .doc documents. All was well, until the weekend. No idea what caused it to change, but....

On Saturday I tried opening a .doc file, only to find that every single word was underlined with a red wiggly line as if it was incorrectly spelt. A bit more investigation showed that only single capital letters or numbers were not underlined this way.

Today, I have download dict-en.oxt, open the Writer and gone to Tools ==> Extension Manager ==>Add and tried adding it, but it still does the same. Tried Restart - nothing. Tried uninstalling Open Office and then Reinstalling it. It STILL does the same.

Arggh! :ugh::ugh::ugh:

I would not care if I could get the spellchecker to find spelling mistakes, but it thinks everything (except capital letters and numbers) is wrong.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

rgbrock1
19th Dec 2014, 17:18
It seems to me that OO thinks the documents are in a language other than what you have it set to. Not having OO open in front of me right now, can you look in 'preferences' and see if you might not have accidentally set it to some other language as the default?

WE Branch Fanatic
19th Dec 2014, 17:36
Gone to Spelling which identifies the text langauge as English (UK), but then highlights the word 'Title' as incorrect. The Langauge settings appear to be for English (UK) as well.

cdtaylor_nats
20th Dec 2014, 22:16
Try LibreOffice.

One thing you might try is under the Edit menu there is an entry Changes, try toggling that and see if the underlining disappears.