PDA

View Full Version : EU says obesity is a disability

27mm
18th Dec 2014, 17:36
With all that this implies, ie fat persons will be entitled to similar benefit entitlements and workplace modifications that disabled persons enjoy. You couldn't make it up......:{

Lonewolf_50
18th Dec 2014, 17:38
Tin foil hat on:

This was done to ensure increased sales of chocolates and beer ... which Belgium is famous for, and the EU HQ is in Belgium! :eek:

Is this coincidence? No!

PS: on a less silly note, it seems a poor policy to me.

Boudreaux Bob
18th Dec 2014, 18:00
A great many Brits will prosper from this ruling I should think.

Yet another way to get on the Dole....eat you way to it!

Hard way to earn a living knowing the reputation of British Cuisine.

UK among worst in western Europe for level of overweight and obese people | Society | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/may/29/uk-western-europe-obesity-study)

airship
18th Dec 2014, 18:07
Shouldn't this thread be properly promoted to the EU Politics Hamsterwheel (or even a UKIP one)...?!

Especially when the OP 27mm can't be bothered to post any link (or convert mm to inches even if no ladies are present)... :zzz:

ExXB
18th Dec 2014, 18:47
It was the ECJ and not the EU and Judges said that obesity in itself was not a disability - but if a person had a long-term impairment because of their obesity, then they would be protected by disability legislation.

Yes, better to move this to the hamster wheel.

wings folded
18th Dec 2014, 18:57
A great many Brits will prosper from this ruling I should think.

Yet another way to get on the Dole....eat you way to it!

Hard way to earn a living knowing the reputation of British Cuisine.

UK among worst in western Europe for level of overweight and obese people | Society | The Guardian

A fine piece of irony from west of 30 degrees. But of course Louisiana is really French after all...

rgbrock1
18th Dec 2014, 19:10
wings wrote:

But of course Louisiana is really French after all...

No it's not, it's an American state. :}:}:}

airship
18th Dec 2014, 19:23
Fewer than 30% of Americans have passports apparently. So it's either Louisiana or maybe Quebec in Canada. If they're feeling really Hung(a)ry of course... :E

18th Dec 2014, 19:24
It was the ECJ and not the EU

To give it its full and correct title:
The court of Justice of the European Union, and as one of its primary functions is to interpret EU law, I don't see much wrong with stating that it was the EU that made the decision as that decision is based on EU law.

rgbrock1
18th Dec 2014, 19:28
airship wrote:

maybe Quebec in Canada. If they're feeling really Hung(a)ry of course..

Hungary? Everyone with at least half a brain knows Hungary is a province in Canada. :ok:

Boudreaux Bob
18th Dec 2014, 19:29
European unity can be a saw that cuts two ways.

wings folded
18th Dec 2014, 19:31
Only recently

That was an answer to rgbrock

west lakes
18th Dec 2014, 19:35
Interestingly it is not all as cut and dried as you all seem to suggest

BBC News - Obesity 'could be a disability' - EU courts rule (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30529791)

There will be so many ifs and buts that it will except in a few cases make little difference.

Within EU law the word reasonable or the two words reasonably practicable appear in a lot of legislation, the effect of them is to, er, dilute the effect of how things first seem.

Check them in an on line dictionary.

As an example, if an employer had to make, say thousands of pounds of modifications just to meet the needs of one individual, that would probably be deemed not reasonable so would not need to be done.
The article has other examples

Boudreaux Bob
18th Dec 2014, 19:51
Fewer than 30% of Americans have passports apparently.

We don't have to leave home to find Sunshine Holidays.

Crepello
18th Dec 2014, 19:56
So by extension, obesity of government structure is a national disability. Fortunately it's one that could be cured very quickly, given the will of the people...

rgbrock1
18th Dec 2014, 19:58
Fortunately it's one that could be cured very quickly, given the will of the people...

:ok::ok::ok:

Mechta
18th Dec 2014, 20:01
Judges said that obesity in itself was not a disability - but if a person had a long-term impairment because of their obesity, then they would be protected by disability legislation.

The problem is that a lot of obese people won't do anything about their weight until their hips or knees give up, at which point they do become disabled. Then losing the weight becomes a slow process as they can barely walk and getting in and out of swimming pools is difficult.

Employers have played their part too, by replacing staff canteens with vending machines full of crisps, chocolate and sugary drinks. Airbus/BAe at Filton had the right idea. The canteen is at the top of a big hill, with limited parking around it, so you get a good walk before and after eating.

Lon More
18th Dec 2014, 20:01
It was the ECJ and not the EU

but the Ukippers and their followers have never let the truth stand in the way of an anti-EU rant

ExXB
18th Dec 2014, 20:02
To give it its full and correct title:
The court of Justice of the European Union, and as one of its primary functions is to interpret EU law, I don't see much wrong with stating that it was the EU that made the decision as that decision is based on EU law.

Sorry to pick nits, but usually when you hear that the EU is doing something, it's the EC, the European Commission proposing something for the parliament and the council to adopt - IE the lawmaking process.

The ECJ, as you observe, is interpreting EU law. Regulations adopted by EP/Council and adopted into national law.

vulcanised
18th Dec 2014, 20:49
Membership of the EU is a disability.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
18th Dec 2014, 21:15
Airbus/BAe at Filton had the right idea. The canteen is at the top of a big hill, with limited parking around it, so you get a good walk before and after eating.

So, it's that simple, then? I take it there were there absolutely NO overweight people at all in that BAe canteen?

cdtaylor_nats
18th Dec 2014, 22:53
Presumably this would also apply to those with a long-term impairment because of alcoholism or drug use.

Mechta
19th Dec 2014, 00:41
Quote:
Airbus/BAe at Filton had the right idea. The canteen is at the top of a big hill, with limited parking around it, so you get a good walk before and after eating.
So, it's that simple, then? I take it there were there absolutely NO overweight people at all in that BAe canteen?

Compared to other places I've worked, and that's quite a lot, then the answer is no there weren't. Even walking a mile a day is going to be a heck of a lot better than house to car, car to office, office to car, car to house.

There are a lot of very obese people who really don't eat a lot. They are just eating the wrong things and not burning it off.

Wingswinger
19th Dec 2014, 08:26
I don't think obesity can be classed as a disability; it's more like a self-inflicted injury. The solution is simple: eat less and move more. Eat fresh food, freshly prepared, nothing mass-produced which is full of sugar or trans-fats and soused with chemical additives nor any confectionery. It ain't, as they say, rocket science.

tony draper
19th Dec 2014, 08:40
Or be born with good genes.:rolleyes:

ATNotts
19th Dec 2014, 08:44
Although this (rather daft) judgment came from the ECJ (not as several have claimed - the EU) it would only have been a matter of time before some fat slob in UK decided to take to law domestically in cohorts with some money grabbing legal firm, to try and get a similar ruling in UK - and seeing the ludicrous way in which the UK courts interpret the convention on human rights, they would probably have got a similar, on the face of it favourable judgment.

Unfortunately in UK, the press and media in general like to preface any ruling or piece of legislation that they don't like with the letters "EU" - even though much of the nonsense allegedly coming from the EU / European institutions actually originates from the Westminster government of all hues.

MagnusP
19th Dec 2014, 10:03
Just for clarification:
The European Court of Justice (ECJ), officially just the Court of Justice, is the highest court in the European Union in matters of European Union law. As a part of the Court of Justice of the European Union it is tasked with interpreting EU law and ensuring its equal application across all EU member states.

If obesity is as a result of disability, then I have no difficulty with the ruling. (I have a friend whose daughter is severely epileptic and has great difficulty in exercising, so has gained weight). If it's a result of filling your face with Doritos while playing GTA on your taxpayer-funded 50" smart TV, then I have some difficulty with that......

Capetonian
19th Dec 2014, 10:20
I appreciate that some people are obese through no fault of their own, but in general, has anyone noticed the direct correlation between fat obese pigs who stuff their ugly faces with expensive junkfood, and the intelligence level of same people. The IQ seems to be in inverse proportion to their weight.

Waiting for someone the other day at a retail park where there is both an M&S and a Tesco, I noticed that the majority of the fat porkers in track suits and bling clothes were headed to and from Tesco, whereas those of slimmer build were going to and from M&S.

mikedreamer787
19th Dec 2014, 10:31
Or be born with good genes.:rolleyes:Doncha hate 'em?

I swear blind I put on one kilo watching...WATCHING mind you...a skinny-as-a-rake F/O polish off 3 sloppy Dunkins' dribbling in sugar during a turnaround...and the little bastard doesn't put on an ounce! Claims he only exercises about once every 2 weeks too.

I hope he cops a cardio wollop from old man Cholesterol... :E

Trouble is if one is born with the Thin gene, one is likely to remain with the Garden Rake profile well into old age while buggers like me miss out on wimmin because of my hard-to-keep-trim waist line that has a belly with fcuk-all grub in it most of the time.

rh200
19th Dec 2014, 10:55
I use the term "I just have to look at food and I put on weight". The fact is its not so, the human body follows the same rules of physics as everything else.

Energy in=Energy out, one more than the other and you create or destroy fat cells. As some other poster said, there is no rocket science in it.

Now there are a few technicalities in that simplification, but thats about it. The biggest challange is pyschology, as someone who has just spent 3 years getting rid of close on 50 kg, I can tell you its all about habit and getting it into your head.

mikedreamer787
19th Dec 2014, 12:45
The fact is its not so, the human body follows the same rules of physics as everything else.

Who said I was human? I'm more a hybrid of Homo Sapiens and Magilla Gorilla!

Still reckon I put on a kilo by just watching the little bugger. But ok Mr 200 I'll try to get empirical proof... :\

tony draper
19th Dec 2014, 14:51
I blame this daft furrinization of heaviness,a pound is a pound and a stone is a stone, not these daft kilo thingies.:)

OFSO
19th Dec 2014, 14:53
But fair's fair, if "obesity" could speak it would say the EU is a disability !

MagnusP
19th Dec 2014, 14:53
On that topic, FSL, (and I have mentioned it before) I notice references to "came down on him like a tonne of bricks". Does it make a significant difference?

mikedreamer787
19th Dec 2014, 15:01
if "obesity" could speak

I think obesity already speaks volumes OFSO...

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01596/Donna_Simpson2_1596685c.jpg

rgbrock1
19th Dec 2014, 15:05
mikedreamer:

That photo of the lovely fattie scoffing away at McDonalds? I'm luvin' it! :E:}

Does McDonalds in the UK have the "Blitz Box"? If so, that might explain a few things.

http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/newblitzbox_wbackground.jpg?w=360&h=240&crop=1

mikedreamer787
19th Dec 2014, 15:11
I'm luvin' it! :E:}

Been away from wimmin a long time lately RGB?

If you are luvin' the fattie you're suffering from
the dreaded Whiteout disease! :bored:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeWgQaBVIG2g505E1bx_nvhMxz7KcjkC5JTcMH8Vp jDGCehAXx

rgbrock1
19th Dec 2014, 15:14
mikedreamer wrote:

Been away from wimmin lately RGB

Nope, not at all. Mary Palmer and her five sisters keep me "up" at night. :}

mikedreamer787
19th Dec 2014, 15:20
Surely you mean her 4 sisters? No one wants the short fat one.

But then again in your present condition... ;)

rgbrock1
19th Dec 2014, 15:23
Beggars can't be too choosy, mike. :}

pigboat
19th Dec 2014, 15:33
I don't think obesity can be classed as a disability; it's more like a self-inflicted injury.
Author Larry Niven has written about the future world where the United Nations have taken over and now run the world government. Obesity, among other maladies, is characterized as a treatable disease and to have it and do nothing about means you have it by choice and the State will impose a cure. If you resist, it's off to the organ banks with you. :p

Boudreaux Bob
19th Dec 2014, 15:52
Unlike some, Friday is not Fish Day for me.

I much prefer my big ol' greasy Cheeseburger done Carolina Style and a big tub of Onion Rings washed down with a Giant Chocolate Milk Shake.

Follow that with a couple of the lovely (but only locally done) Fried Apple Pies and Lunch is Complete!

Note: No Guilt Trip here....just one to my fav Burger Joint!

rgbrock1
19th Dec 2014, 15:53
Bob wrote

Unlike some, Friday is not Fish Day for me.

I much prefer my big ol' greasy Cheeseburger done Carolina Style and a big tub of Onion Rings washed down with a Giant Chocolate Milk Shake.

Follow that with a couple of the lovely (but only locally done) Fried Apple Pies and Lunch is Complete!

Note: No Guilt Trip here....just one to my fav Burger Joint!

And you're probably skinny as a rail as well! :}:E:}:E

Boudreaux Bob
19th Dec 2014, 15:57
No....I am not a Rail Person....but when the Apocalypse hits I shall out last the Skinny Ones....and the un-armed Loony Left who think Meat products grow on Grocery Store Shelves.:ok:

Effluent Man
19th Dec 2014, 16:00
What I don't get is this.Thirty years ago I used to eat and drink more than I do now.I currently swim a mile a day which is far more exercise than I had then.Now I weigh twenty kilos more.

rgbrock1
19th Dec 2014, 16:12
If you're currently swimming a mile per day then I would imagine some of your weight gain my very well be attributed to a gain in muscle. (Muscle weighing more than fat.)

rgbrock1
19th Dec 2014, 16:13
Bob wrote:

nd the un-armed Loony Left who think Meat products grow on Grocery Store Shelves.

Silly people. Most everyone knows meat products don't grow on grocery store shelves. The come prepackaged and grow on trees like that. :ok: